FAIL: Phantom 4 losing signal at 1.5 kms with clear LOS in open sky
1897 18 2016-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Noyag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 857946 ft
Netherlands

After the successfull launching and landing the Phantom 4 at 8kms distance I wanted to fly that distance and then land the Phantom on the terras of my holiday home. But after 1.5 kms I lost signal dramatically and it had to return home...

2016-9-6
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70873 ft
Australia

Well that was surprising, I noticed you had a warning at 5:10 about a fly zone or something?  Seemed to go haywire after that.
2016-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The thing about range extenders is that you must point the antenna panel exactly at the aircraft all the time. I was watching you moving the transmitter around, pointing at the sky etc. They are directional antennas, and they are more critical in terms of position than the normal antennas.
2016-9-6
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-7 01:03
The thing about range extenders is that you must point the antenna panel exactly at the aircraft all ...

Yes true. I Lost signal for a second because I pointed it upwards. But when it wanted to return home, I was pointing it directly towards it. The signal was so bad that not only I lost the video, but also the control. In general the signal for control is better than for the image.
2016-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Noyag Posted at 2016-9-7 18:19
Yes true. I Lost signal for a second because I pointed it upwards. But when it wanted to return ho ...

I wish you luck with your experiment, I hope you can repeat it successfully next time. The puzzling part was that you were able to contact the aircraft when it was on your roof, so the path must work.

2016-9-7
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-7 10:38
I wish you luck with your experiment, I hope you can repeat it successfully next time. The puzzlin ...

Exactly. Spoiler alert: I did some tests and I did retry. I will show in upcoming videos ;-).
2016-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Noyag Posted at 2016-9-7 21:09
Exactly. Spoiler alert: I did some tests and I did retry. I will show in upcoming videos ;-).

I shall look forward to seeing it.
2016-9-7
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Oh NO!

I just did the conversion, and

1.5 KM is what I have been saying too for weeks now: 0.8 - 0.9 miles is the point of DISCONNECT!
It used to be 1.5 - 2 miles when I first bought it.

Why?{:4_157:}

2016-9-7
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Jorgedalmau Posted at 2016-9-8 00:54
You are Dutch, but this isn't clearly the Netherlands. :-)  I think you are in some touristic villag ...

Tenerife...
Wow, that sounds really bad. So I did right trying to avoid attracting attention ;-)
2016-9-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Accually 1.5 kilometers is pretty good compared to my p4
2016-9-7
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-8 01:31
Oh NO!

I think this was just an incident. I have had a greater distance many more times. You know there is an option in the DJI Go App to limit the distance you can fly? You'll have to switch this off.
2016-9-7
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I would say that getting the bird back after all that was successful!
2016-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If I was attempting to do this exercise, I think I would get someone to take the aircraft up to the top of the hill, and I would stay down in the village on the roof-top. My reasoning is, that once I got the aircraft airborne, the entire flight is coming towards me, so that when it gets critical, the signal is improving all the time. Therefore your ability to control the aircraft at the most critical time is maximised.
2016-9-7
Use props
MAD35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-8 13:12
If I was attempting to do this exercise, I think I would get someone to take the aircraft up to the  ...

You are absolutely right Geebax. Also you will not lose signal when you need to land it.  On long flights I have found that the farther away you go the higher the altitude needs to be to maintain good signals. So landing it at a far away distance will be very tricky.
2016-9-7
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-8 07:12
If I was attempting to do this exercise, I think I would get someone to take the aircraft up to the  ...

That crossed my mind. But it wouldn't make such an interesting challenge/video, because as soon as you can launch it and get it closer, you kind of already succeeded... ;-)
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-8 07:31
Oh NO!

And he's using CE, you're using FCC.

Probably the drone is getting old after a while.. You can get a range extender if you really need it.
2016-9-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-8 05:44
And he's using CE, you're using FCC.

Probably the drone is getting old after a while.. You can g ...

The P4 getting old? It's only a baby; it was born in late May 2016!

I am hoping as it gets older, and gets more techie, it may come up with a power increase hack on it's own, which will undo the bad side affects of the baby medicine (firmware) is doing to it!   
2016-9-8
Use props
jim.chisholm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152352 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-6 20:03
The thing about range extenders is that you must point the antenna panel exactly at the aircraft all ...

Agreed, I have the same range extender on my P3P and have reached 8km but you must keep it carefully aimed.
2016-9-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

jim.chisholm Posted at 2016-9-8 09:52
Agreed, I have the same range extender on my P3P and have reached 8km but you must keep it careful ...

I get 2 - 2.5 miles without them on P3A, and I am just hoping for only 2 miles on my P4; not looking to break any records!

Which range extender do you use?
2016-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules