Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Screw loose (no pun intended)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

All,

Just doing some routine maintenance by checking for cracks, motors clean, etc..  Went around the bottom of the body checking to see if any of the screws had loosened over time (primarily motor mount screws).  What I did notice was the two screws (toward the center of the aircraft) right next to each of the 4 motor mount screws were all about a half turn or so loose.  I don't recall them being that way, but am not 100% certain.  I thnk these are some of what keep top and bottom of the body halves together.  So, the question is should these be tight to stopping point (not overtightened or I'm sure it would be easy to strip the threads or crack something), or left about a half turn loose?  My inclination would be that they should be tight to stopping point.  Appreciate anyone checking theirs to see..

2016-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello,could you please take a photo of this issue? Did you try to tighten the screws?
2016-9-7
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-8 12:05
Hello,could you please take a photo of this issue? Did you try to tighten the screws?

Mindy..

Not sure what I'm photographing..  The screws are not loose enough to be hanging down or anything.  As I was mentioning, I check all the screws to see if any (especially motor mount) have loosened during flights, landing, etc. from time to time. These 8 screws (2 on each arm) were about a half turn loose, meaning, that I was able to turn them (clockwise to tighten) about a half a turn.  At that point I could feel a resistance and almost a "stop" point.  For now I backed them off to where they were, but my thought is that they should be tight similar to all the other body screws and motor mount screws (unless there is a reason for some less "tension"?)..  Appreciate any help..  Thanks.

2016-9-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if many of the cracked shells seen to date have been caused by overtightened screws. Perhaps they're backed off in production now to help reduce stress cracking on the P3's ?
2016-9-7
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

They should be "snug", to the point they are screwed in and bottomed out without stripping the thread.  They should already have blue loctite on them so they won't shake out in flight or steadily unscrew.  I would just tighten them and keep checking that there is no change.  If they get loose, there is a definite problem.  If not, just put it down to dumb luck, and be comfortable that you have fixed the problem.
2016-9-7
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-8 15:28
They should be "snug", to the point they are screwed in and bottomed out without stripping the threa ...

Thanks..  I may pull one all the way out to make sure the loctite is/was sufficient.  Have a fresh bottle of blue here...  Appreciate you reading the post.
2016-9-8
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-8 15:28
They should be "snug", to the point they are screwed in and bottomed out without stripping the threa ...

Well, that explains that..  pulled all 8 and some screws had no loctite on them, some had very little.  :-(  The loctite well must have been a little dry that day at the assembly plant..  :-) Going to do a drop on each and put them back in...
2016-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules