Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI FLY AWAY CASES NOT RESOLVE
3878 35 2016-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alanrmx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1887894 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Now that i am starting to contact DJI support is because at that point of time of my FLY AWAY incident (which is still not resolve), I had introduce a friend of mine in changzhou china which also bought a DJI Phantom 3 professional. He flew for about a week or so and then it FLY AWAY. I remember that i was the one who help him to update the firmware before returning to singapore. Now the firmware version of these 2 drone are of the same version v.1.4. I later found out from a couple of other forum that people were saying that v1.4 has got some issues that causes the FLY AWAY. In fact a lot of people were saying about it..

Ever since my fly away, DJI has never given me a good explanation but only keep saying it's my fault. I have sent another email on the JUN this year on my friends behalf to DJI support and was not even replied till now. Service level is also getting so bad. I had just sent in another email today requesting for a face to face video conference to resolve these 2 fly away cases and we shall see what's the reply..

2016-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry for the loss,alanrmx. Could you please provide me with the ticket number or case number and your email address? I'll help to look into it.
2016-9-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-8 11:09
I'm sorry for the loss,alanrmx. Could you please provide me with the ticket number or case number an ...

DJI-Mindy ..... His Phantom didn't fly away.
He has had his incident explained multiple times and he is 100% to blame but won't recognise this.
There's nothing to resolve.

You can read the sorry story here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-43818-1-1.html

Before DJI encrypted the flight record in the latest version of the app, it was easy to look at actual flight data and explain many of these "flyaway" stories and show that they aren't correct.
But now that DJI has encrypted the data, they can expect lots more people like Alan telling the world that their Phantom "flew away".
It's in DJI's interest as well as the users to have easy to read flight data.
2016-9-7
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

OK Then, why don't let hook up on a video call to resolve this issue.. ?  I am really tired of writing emails..
2016-9-7
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi Mindy,
Could you give me an email address so that i can forward all my email communications with DJI support to you ?

Hi labroides,
I do not know who and why are you involve in my case but since you are in, good.. Please arrange to have a either phone or video communication ASAP. You seems to be confident with your content and i'll proof you wrong..

2016-9-7
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>

Please keep in mind that now i have 2 cases of FLY AWAY to talk about.. As for my case number, i could find it as most of the email communications were done using my company's email and i have left the company. I had only left with some emails which i forward them during some of the communications. Another case belongs to my friend was case number (CAS-85069-S7J7HB). He bought the drone for less than 2 weeks and things happen. i personally own 2 drone from DJI. my first done was DJI phantom 3 advance which i own 6 months and was impress with the performance and then i decided to buy the professional series. It was only with me for about a month when it fly away. I am a experience hobbyist which fly planes and helicopters before drone. I know what am i talking about..

So labroides, please mind your comments..
2016-9-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 15:06
Please keep in mind that now i have 2 cases of FLY AWAY to talk about.. As for my case number, i cou ...

Your flight data speaks for itself.
It's very clear that your Phantom didn't fly away and given the lack of understanding you showed on your last flight, I very much doubt that your friend's Phantom flew away either.
Very experienced and you know what you are talking about?   
Yeah .... sure you do.
2016-9-7
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

Ya.. speaks about what ? let's have a face to face talk la.. anyway, i remember that it was someone who direct me to that healthy drone website for uploading of my flight data.. i just can't remember who..
but anyway, i found my case number (CAS-86264-Y7D0Q5). still got a copy of all the email communications on my iPad..

those days i was too busy to follow up.. Now got a little time to further discuss on all the facts. Let's don't start any childish war comments here as it doesn't look good for your company..
Let quickly talk about the 2 cases and resolve the matter.

So please kindly and quickly arrange for a conference call and get all related people to sit in for this discussion...

i await for your reply on the arrangement for the conference meeting..  i can also get my friend living in changzhou to sit in for the discussion on his case also..

thanks..
2016-9-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 15:50
Ya.. speaks about what ? let's have a face to face talk la.. anyway, i remember that it was someone  ...

Alan ... since you can't work it out, I'm just another Phantom user.
I'm not from DJI.
I'm not going to have any conference call etc
But I would suggest that you read what I explained to you in your other thread.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-43818-1-1.html
That tells exactly what happened to your Phantom.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-8 09:54
DJI-Mindy ..... His Phantom didn't fly away.
He has had his incident explained multiple times and h ...

Thank you for your explanation,labroides.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 13:50
Ya.. speaks about what ? let's have a face to face talk la.. anyway, i remember that it was someone  ...

According to the our analysis, your drone was in GPS mode and peforming as expected. You kept fully pushing pitch stick forward, and the drone was flying at about 16 meters per second. The flight record broke off at 7:22, the battery was at 69% at a height of 500 meters, and the drone was 5891 meters away from the home point. At 7:17, the capacity was 70%, and a low-battery return home notice popped up, based on how far away you were. If you clicked to cancel that, the drone could not have returned successfully. You have denied that you clicked cancel, but we can not confirm what happened after the flight record broke off. So our colleague provided you a discount for your case according to our after-sales policies. As for your friend's case, he had already accept our offer.
2016-9-7
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>

As i already keep telling you guys that i took a snapshot of the picture and send it to you guys is to show you other status like battery, distance, etc. but instead, the argument starting from your guys saying because i "press cancel" return to home. Now what ever happens, example low battery, or disconnected from transmitter, or whatsoever, the "failsafe" function has to kick in. and that is Return to home. Normally when return to home kicks in, it will take about less then a minute for the drone to be connected to the transmitter because the drone is returning to home position. and then the flight data recorder on my phone will resume recording. Moreover my battery was still at 70%.

It's not that i denied the clicking of cancel "RTH". was it recorded in the flight data that trigger this topic ? what was my intention of submitting this picture ? and do you think i will be nuts to cancel whereby it has already reach the point the there there is already no video feed ?

Very simple. I stand at point A and start to fly the drone away from me. in regardless how fast, how high, or even how far i am flying the drone. As long as it reaches the maximum speed, the drone will still fly right ! maximum height and the drone will still fly right ! maximum distance and the drone will still fly right. But when due to maximum distance that the drone lost contact with the transmitter, the first thing the drone to react is to kick in the failsafe function which is RTH. maximum distance is always various from flying conditions...

I always fly maximum height and long distance on my phantom 3 advance and it always comes back. that's the reason till now, it's still with me. Isn't failsafe RTH is one of your key selling point ? yes, it perform very well on each flight but not on that day..

as i say, let arrange a conference call to further discuss on the issues. anyway it also happen to my friend in changzhou whereby i also need to discuss about his case. he claims that he didn't fly the maximum height, speed and distance and also it happen..
2016-9-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 19:55
As i already keep telling you guys that i took a snapshot of the picture and send it to you guys is  ...

Alan ... you are just embarrassing yourself and showing that you know very little of how to fly a Phantom.
Your case is very clear as I explained twice in your other thread.
You have no idea how to safely fly your Phantom at a distance and it's surprising that you didn't lose it earlier.
Your attempt to weasel out only shows more just how little you know about flying the Phantom.
You've had my detailed explanation which DJI-Ken agreed with and you've had DJI Mindy explain all over again from DJI data.
Stop digging the hole deeper and take responsibility for your mistake.
2016-9-8
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>

shut up and stop talking cork to me la. if you want me to start posting to all drone related website and forum and blow the matter as big as possible, i can always do that.. what kind of a service attitude that you are trying to show here ?? i requested for a conference meeting to resolve this shit and here you are creating a forum war with me.. seriously, my patience ARE REACHING MY LIMITS..

I AM EVEN READY TO SEE ALL OF YOU THROUGH VIDEO CONFERENCE. SO WHO IS EMBARRASSING WHAT ??
2016-9-8
Use props
knobbydave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-9 00:16
shut up and stop talking cork to me la. if you want me to start posting to all drone related website ...

Fly fast, fly high, fly far

RTH

Into the wind

No RTH

Done that

BTW - No conference call from me either
2016-9-8
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

This is either an incredibly funny thread or extremely tragic.   alanrmx, you clearly do not read the posted replies carefully if at all, and you want to selectively choose the facts of your flight and want to make it fit in with what you think happened.   This is a forum, where pilots and owners from around the world are invited to discuss problems like yours, in text and images.  We offer advice and analysis for free out of the goodness of our hearts.  Only a handful of people here are DJI employees.

The fact is you flew the aircraft to the limit of distance and altitude.  You lost contact and you expected the RTH function to work, but it didn't come home, nor did it come back close enough to regain contact to resume control.  We are with you up until that point.  It is here that you fail to grasp the situation.  You believe that if you lose contact or press the RTH button it will come back 100% of the time.  This is not the case and it is not a fault.   The button will not make up for pilot error or flying it beyond its capabilities.   It has been pointed out that you were flying away with wind assistance, as seen in the flight log -- your speed is faster than the aircraft is capable of on its own.  Now you want it to RTH while flying into a strong headwind.  At best it will RTH automatically at around 10m/s, or if you are manually flying it in ATTI it can go a bit faster, around 15m/s.  Because contact is lost you cannot take manual control, so you can not come back fighting a wind of 11m/s or more, you will never get any closer in wind of that speed.  It will stay where it is, in RTH MODE, fighting the wind, then automatically land when the battery gets critical (the second level of safety after RTH was unsuccessful).  Look at the last position on the map and go there, you will find the aircraft landed on the ground nearby.  An experienced pilot knowing he was in trouble at that altitude and distance would have come back sooner or at least had the sense to descend to a lower altitude where the wind could be expected to be weaker, then fly closer and regain contact.  If the wind was more like 20m/s or even more, which is highly possible at that altitude you will find that the wind is pushing it away further, even though it is trying to fly in the opposite direction back towards you.  To you that might be a flyaway but it is being blown away.  It may have flown flawlessly on other days, but on this occasion you were fighting a stronger wind than the aircraft can overcome, so you lost it due to wind.  You never tried flying back to you when you did have control, so you have no idea if you could overcome the wind when it was time to return.  Flying out in those conditions shows you had no regard for the conditions or even knowledge of the wind speeds and capability of the aircraft.   Having a warning at 70% battery and a low-battery return home notice pop up is pretty good proof that the system knew it was carried away from you in high wind, and would need 3/4 of the battery charge to come back, ASSUMING IT HAD ENOUGH STRENGTH TO OVERCOME THE HEADWIND WINDSPEED, a fact you conveniently ignore each time.  Just like driving a car, reverse gear might be able to return you to a safe part of the road if you drive into trouble, but it won't do you a lot of good if you drive off a cliff and gravity takes over.  Gravity will win over your reverse gear every time, it's just physics.  This is all from your flight data, we are not making anything up.  We have nothing to gain or lose from independently and impartially analysing the data.  You clearly have nothing new to add, or you would have offered it by now.  You are just not willing to face the truth and accept it was your fault.
2016-9-8
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 17:16
shut up and stop talking cork to me la. if you want me to start posting to all drone related website ...

alan, labroides is well respected and has an excellent understanding of your logs, and many have looked at them already and concur with what really happened. Perhaps you should be honest with yourself and with us in telling us the facts of what happened? We can all learn from these situations - including yourself.

Labroides probably initially looked at your logs in the hope he could help you retrieve your craft and so you could learn from your mistake.

As for your friend I cannot comment, but if labroides was to look at his logs, I'd respect what he says 100%.
2016-9-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"seriously, my patience ARE REACHING MY LIMITS.. "
Mr Angry.jpg
2016-9-8
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 12:16

are you for real?

you have absolutely no reading comprehension or communication skills

video conference call.... hilarious
2016-9-8
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-8 06:10
Alan ... you are just embarrassing yourself and showing that you know very little of how to fly a P ...

double  +1
2016-9-8
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-9-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-9 19:28
OK. FINE.. SINCE THAT'S THE CASE.. I ALSO DONT WANT TO TALK TO DJI ANYMORE.. WE SHALL SEE ABOUT THIS ...

Sad, that is unfortunately completely consistent with your refusal to take responsibility for your actions. Good bye, please don't visit again.
2016-9-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-9 19:28
OK. FINE.. SINCE THAT'S THE CASE.. I ALSO DONT WANT TO TALK TO DJI ANYMORE.. WE SHALL SEE ABOUT THIS ...

But Alan ..  I've arranged a conference call for Monday morning so we can sort this out properly.
2016-9-9
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alan, it is a tough break, but Labrodies is right.  Sometimes you're wrong and sometimes you're right.  But in this case, you are wrong.  These Phantoms are so easy to fly and so amazing, it makes it seem sometimes that we (and our drones) are invincible.  When going long range, always go INTO the wind.  That way, you'll always have enough juice and power to come back.  Your flight data shows that you were traveling east with a 21 MPH tail wind with 31 MPH gusts.  That means that on the way home, your drone would have to fly 30 MPH to actually travel just 10 MPH.  This essentially left you "down the creek without a paddle".

I really hate that you lost your drone.  It is a horrible, sick feeling that you can feel all the way to your toes.  But you owe yourself the truth (and some contributors an apology).
2016-9-9
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

RTH against strong wind = FAIL

Here's proof:
2016-9-9
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-9 06:41
But Alan ..  I've arranged a conference call for Monday morning so we can sort this out properly.

I want in on that call too!
2016-9-9
Use props
knobbydave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-9 17:28

I've changed my mind

.... let's have that conference call

.... then maybe I can arrange a home visit you obnoxious man!
2016-9-9
Use props
fans5e622b30
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-9-9 06:00

Hi Guys.. I think is great if i can have a voice communication with you.. please add me in we chat..
my ID is "älansoh2015"
I have understand my mistake and i would still love to fly DJI products.  Please try your best to keep in touch with me as i really need to get a DJI mavic ASAP..

Hear from you soon..

Happy New Year DJI
2017-1-14
Use props
fans5e622b30
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-9-9 06:00

or you can call me on my singapore mobile st +65 8500 0509
or give me a contact number for me to reach you..

thanks..
2017-1-14
Use props
Microchips
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3348051 ft
United Kingdom

That was a fun read! Spell check, RF V 16 tracker and psychiatrist spring to mind besides having to go down to the local Chinese takeaway for some spare ribs lol.
2017-1-15
Use props
fansd723a998
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-7 21:11
Your flight data speaks for itself.
It's very clear that your Phantom didn't fly away and given the lack of understanding you showed on your last flight, I very much doubt that your friend's Phantom flew away either.
Very experienced and you know what you are talking about?   

10m/s is about 22mph. I would never fly in such a strong wind. At 10 to 15mph I would only fly upwind. I was on vacation and had several flights planned. One day the wind was about 15mph so only the leg that was upwind could be flown. You will not have a problem getting back if you just follow that rule.

As to wind speed predictions, I find Weather very accurate. It is usually double UAV forecast and seems to be spot on at altitude. I think UAV forecast windspeed is is pretty much winds just above the ground. Once you are up a hundred feet it just doesn't apply in my experience. Between one hundred and 1500 doesn't matter much IMO and experience.
2017-1-15
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

fansd723a998 Posted at 2017-1-15 19:16
10m/s is about 22mph. I would never fly in such a strong wind. At 10 to 15mph I would only fly upwind. I was on vacation and had several flights planned. One day the wind was about 15mph so only the leg that was upwind could be flown. You will not have a problem getting back if you just follow that rule.

As to wind speed predictions, I find Weather very accurate. It is usually double UAV forecast and seems to be spot on at altitude. I think UAV forecast windspeed is is pretty much winds just above the ground. Once you are up a hundred feet it just doesn't apply in my experience. Between one hundred and 1500 doesn't matter much IMO and experience.

In UAV Forecast, select the settings icon at the bottom of the page.  Then select threshold settings.  Move the "wind altitude" from the default 10m to whatever altitude you need data for.

IMG_0125.PNG
2017-1-16
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

That was a great video to watch and read, not so good for you being the pilot I have to say, must have been one stressful flight, there will still be things that will go through your mind and what you should or should not have done at the time, the experience will surely be a good reminder in future flights :-)
I had a bad flight a few weeks ago (documented on this site) and will clearly stick in my head forever, one thing I will be doing on every flight is to video record every flight, I really wished it had been on record when I had my stressful flight
I am glad you got your drone back with minimal damage, well done I say !!!!
2017-1-16
Use props
fanse7d0eb29
lvl.1

United States

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-9 01:28
OK. FINE.. SINCE THAT'S THE CASE.. I ALSO DONT WANT TO TALK TO DJI ANYMORE.. WE SHALL SEE ABOUT THIS..

FUCK YOU ALL GUYS...

I am a standard pilot my self, and I had this happen. The put the drone back into RTH mode, so that it would come home, but that particular day was extremely windy and so I was scared it would not make it. Anyways, it was about 1000 feet away, and was fighting a front wind of about 20-30 mph, and sense RTH only goes so fast, it only stayed where it was, and could not return. Thankfully, I had a lot of battery, and knew how to fly professionally and safely. So I simply went down in altitude, as I was about 150 feet, and went very low near trees, so that it would keep the wind under control. After doing this, I could return home, and as soon as I did, the wind slowed down enough that I got home safely. Like others have said, you could have advoided this mess, by understanding it was extremely windy and it would be impossible to return at that distance.
2017-1-16
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

What a thread.  It so interesting to see how obtuse people can be to blame their drone for not returning into a strong headwind.

I wanted to go flying today but pretty strong winds in my mountains so decided against it.
2017-5-11
Use props
Rene vd Meer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-8 09:14
This is either an incredibly funny thread or extremely tragic.   alanrmx, you clearly do not read the posted replies carefully if at all, and you want to selectively choose the facts of your flight and want to make it fit in with what you think happened.   This is a forum, where pilots and owners from around the world are invited to discuss problems like yours, in text and images.  We offer advice and analysis for free out of the goodness of our hearts.  Only a handful of people here are DJI employees.

The fact is you flew the aircraft to the limit of distance and altitude.  You lost contact and you expected the RTH function to work, but it didn't come home, nor did it come back close enough to regain contact to resume control.  We are with you up until that point.  It is here that you fail to grasp the situation.  You believe that if you lose contact or press the RTH button it will come back 100% of the time.  This is not the case and it is not a fault.   The button will not make up for pilot error or flying it beyond its capabilities.   It has been pointed out that you were flying away with wind assistance, as seen in the flight log -- your speed is faster than the aircraft is capable of on its own.  Now you want it to RTH while flying into a strong headwind.  At best it will RTH automatically at around 10m/s, or if you are manually flying it in ATTI it can go a bit faster, around 15m/s.  Because contact is lost you cannot take manual control, so you can not come back fighting a wind of 11m/s or more, you will never get any closer in wind of that speed.  It will stay where it is, in RTH MODE, fighting the wind, then automatically land when the battery gets critical (the second level of safety after RTH was unsuccessful).  Look at the last position on the map and go there, you will find the aircraft landed on the ground nearby.  An experienced pilot knowing he was in trouble at that altitude and distance would have come back sooner or at least had the sense to descend to a lower altitude where the wind could be expected to be weaker, then fly closer and regain contact.  If the wind was more like 20m/s or even more, which is highly possible at that altitude you will find that the wind is pushing it away further, even though it is trying to fly in the opposite direction back towards you.  To you that might be a flyaway but it is being blown away.  It may have flown flawlessly on other days, but on this occasion you were fighting a stronger wind than the aircraft can overcome, so you lost it due to wind.  You never tried flying back to you when you did have control, so you have no idea if you could overcome the wind when it was time to return.  Flying out in those conditions shows you had no regard for the conditions or even knowledge of the wind speeds and capability of the aircraft.   Having a warning at 70% battery and a low-battery return home notice pop up is pretty good proof that the system knew it was carried away from you in high wind, and would need 3/4 of the battery charge to come back, ASSUMING IT HAD ENOUGH STRENGTH TO OVERCOME THE HEADWIND WINDSPEED, a fact you conveniently ignore each time.  Just like driving a car, reverse gear might be able to return you to a safe part of the road if you drive into trouble, but it won't do you a lot of good if you drive off a cliff and gravity takes over.  Gravity will win over your reverse gear every time, it's just physics.  This is all from your flight data, we are not making anything up.  We have nothing to gain or lose from independently and impartially analysing the data.  You clearly have nothing new to add, or you would have offered it by now.  You are just not willing to face the truth and accept it was your fault.

This threat is interesting and surprising. Both technically and socially
The RTH speed is 10 m/s. The quad measures the speed using GPS. So even with a wind speed of 11 m/s it shouldn't it be able to fly back (assuming it can overcome the drift caused by the wind)?
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules