OSMO Mobile and IPhone 6s PLUS Doesn't work well ?
41544 226 2016-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1630453 ft
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-11 05:34
I tried a quick video on the 6s+ and it worked fine. I will post a video next week.

Ken, in my opinion there is no need shooting any more videos in order to defend the Osmo Mobile. Depending on how you walk or run the OIS of the iPhone 6s PLUS will kick in and messing up the scene with this pumping effect. There is nothing the Osmo can do here, nothing to blame DJI. You can see this effect without using any external stabilyser. However using external stabilysers like the Osmo need to be able to turn off the built in OIS of the device used. Since Apple doesn't seem to allow this in their camera API this is something DJI should urge Apple to implement. The entire iPhone 7 line is OIS stabilysed, so this not a minor issue anymore. DJI has to act here in order to protect their great Osmo Mobile so that we users can get the most out of our Osmos.
2016-9-10
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-10 22:34
I tried a quick video on the 6s+ and it worked fine. I will post a video next week.

Well then maybe you didn't walk, move or run, or maybe wobbly footage is your definition of fine.
::
FYI: The 6+ and 7 do not work on gimbals because the OIS causes noticeable image wobble.::
Also the 6+ is too heavy for the Osmo motors
2016-9-11
Use props
AKloaWV8CTgM
lvl.2
Germany

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-9-11 11:31
Well then maybe you didn't walk, move or run, or maybe wobbly footage is your definition of fine.
: ...

What makes you think the motors of the Osmo are too weak for the 6+ ?
2016-9-11
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183248 ft
Italy

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-11 09:37
Ken, in my opinion there is no need shooting any more videos in order to defend the Osmo Mobile. D ...

Totally agree with you! ✌
@rj74
After watching many users video and some decent reviews, the weight of the 6+ is not an Osmo limit. It's the OIS the real pain and in the specific case of the 6+, the lens "bobs" more because it needs to compensate the movement of something more "shaky and heavy".

If i'm wrong, it'll be demostrated soon by all the users who are receiving Osmo in these days. ;)
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-9-11 17:31
: ...

The 6+ works just fine and is not too heavy.
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-11 15:37
Ken, in my opinion there is no need shooting any more videos in order to defend the Osmo Mobile. D ...

I said earlier, i did a quick walking around video with a 6s+ and it was fine. It may take a little more technique with the OIS but you should be able to get stable footage.
This week I will post a couple clips.
2016-9-11
Use props
kenha0612
New

Canada

Please do show the footage as my Osmo mobile is in order and arriving this week. If this is an issue with using my 6S+ then I will need to cancel my order.
2016-9-11
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-10 23:33
If Apple doesn't allow you to enable/disable the OIS, then the GO app wouldn't be able to.

In half an hour I've found something that could be the solution. Apple has several API to manage the camera and some of them are OIS related.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/21694
https://developer.apple.com/libr ... sVideoStabilization
https://developer.apple.com/libr ... /tn2409/_index.html

There are 2 different ways Apple uses to stabilize a video...

Optical Image Stabilization During Video
On iPhone 6 Plus, optical image stabilization is only used to improve low light still image captures. On iPhone 6s Plus, optical image stabilization is used for low light still image captures as well as for stabilizing video for video data output or movie file output.  All the rear-facing camera non-slow motion (60 fps or less) 16:9 video formats are optically stabilized on iPhone 6s Plus if you set AVCaptureConnection’s -preferredVideoStabilizationMode to something other than AVCaptureVideoStabilizationModeOff.

Expanded Cinematic Video Stabilization Support
In iOS 8, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus introduced an enhanced, dramatic video stabilization mode entitled “Cinematic”.  Cinematic video stabilization was only supported on the rear-facing camera for 1080p30 and 1080p60 on these products.  In iOS 9 we’ve expanded cinematic video stabilization support to 720p30 and 720p60, and supported devices to iPad Mini 4, iPad Pro, 6th gen iPod touch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.  Cinematic video stabilization is the default video stabilization mode now (aka AVCaptureVideoStabilizationModeAuto) for 720p30, 720p60, 1080p30, and 1080p60 if your app is linked on or after iOS 9.0.  See AVCaptureConnection’s preferredVideoStabilizationMode property.

I'm not a developer, but as you can see there are some suggestion to disable it. If that's the case, and if I'm not wrong, I'm curious to know what YOUR developers think of that, and if they can finally fix this in the DJI Go app.

I hope it'll work, and if that's the case, you have a debit with me )))

2016-9-11
Use props
diogodasilva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11132 ft
Brazil

SoNiK Posted at 2016-9-12 08:15
In half an hour I've found something that could be the solution. Apple has several API to manage th ...

Thanks for the findings.
I'm worried too since I just bought the Osmo Mobile and an iPhone 7.
Hopefully this will sort out the issues which are clearly not minor.
2016-9-12
Use props
diogodasilva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11132 ft
Brazil

Found this too
More specific to developers.
And yes, it does seem possible to disable OIS on iOS through programming.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/AVFoundation/Reference/AVCaptureDeviceFormat_Class/#//apple_ref/c/tdef/AVCaptureVideoStabilizationMode
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

SoNiK Posted at 2016-9-12 08:15
In half an hour I've found something that could be the solution. Apple has several API to manage th ...

I've forwarded your post.
2016-9-12
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-12 16:47
I've forwarded your post.

Thank you Ken
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem at all, I have a 6s+ with me and will make a few videos sometime today.
2016-9-12
Use props
chadbello619
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1939117 ft
United States

Mine was delivered today and I have an iPhone 6s Plus. I will post here of my initial results after I charge a couple batteries and give a thorough test. Friday I will try to get a iPhone 7 Plus by waiting in line at my local AT&T. If I succeed I will post here with results.
2016-9-12
Use props
eYky4zABjzkX
lvl.1
United States

I just got my Osmo Mobile today and have a 6+.  Seems to work fine though I haven't done exhaustive testing.  I'm a software engineer and an Apple developer.  The selfie camera doesn't have OIS, if I recall.  Someone who has the problem should try to test if they still see it using that camera and post the results.

I don't think that the phone's OIS has anything to do with what people are seeing. If there was some kind of feedback loop where the DJI and Apple's stabilizers were fighting each other, then I understand why there could be a problem.  However, DJI's OIS is not done in the camera at all.  It's done in the mount.  My guess is that there is a chip in the mount, probably close to where the "camera present" optical sensor is located, that senses what the mount is doing, independent of what the camera is seeing.  You can verify that by using the Osmo with your camera turned off.  Notice that it still does it's stabilization thing.  All the Osmo is doing is presenting the camera with a "more stable" platform, similar to what would happen if you had a camera dolly.  Apple's OIS function gets added to the already pretty stable image.  There is no feedback loop so there is no fighting between the two stabilizers.

I'm guessing the problem is simply due to weight.  Servo motor control can be a very touchy thing, and to get high performance, needs to be "tuned" for the weight of the camera.  Software needs to ramp up and down the acceleration curve of the motors based on the mass the motor is pushing.  Tuning that works for one weight probably won't work so well for another.  You would see an oscillation in the video when the servo's overshoot the correct position and then have to correct it the next cycle.  The good news is there can be a software fix for that problem.

2016-9-12
Use props
userd7bc3c4c37
lvl.1

Australia

Zhi Yun Smooth II is a similar phone camera gimbal stabiliser.  Their OS app can disable camera stabilisation.  If your competitor's app can do so, why not yours?

I really want to buy the Osmo mobile and not the Zhi Yun Smooth II.   Please look into this issue promptly.  Thanks.

image.png
2016-9-12
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

userd7bc3c4c37 Posted at 2016-9-13 11:26
Zhi Yun Smooth II is a similar phone camera gimbal stabiliser.  Their OS app can disable camera stab ...

Wow, the SmoothII seem to do many things right besides the ability to disable the phone OIS. I also like the replacable 18650 battery. And it seems to be availabe now.
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

userd7bc3c4c37 Posted at 2016-9-12 23:26
Zhi Yun Smooth II is a similar phone camera gimbal stabiliser.  Their OS app can disable camera stab ...

Yes, our engineers are working around the clocks for this, and will add this option.

For now, if you ordered Osmo Mobile and have an iPhone 6+, you can use a 3rd party app that can disable the Optical Stabilization. (Edit: wrong info, it doesn't solve the issue)  

2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

derekoneill99 Posted at 2016-9-11 06:49
Osmo mobile has started to go limp again after a few minutes. Battery is fully charged

Try put a sticker over the light detector, does it work now?
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

chadbello619@gm Posted at 2016-9-13 04:54
Mine was delivered today and I have an iPhone 6s Plus. I will post here of my initial results after  ...

Thanks, the dual cameras of iPhone 7 might cause some confusion for DJI Go, if it works at all. See if there's an option to turn off one camera in iOS (I guess there is one).
2016-9-12
Use props
userd7bc3c4c37
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks for that.   I am going to get the Osmo+ while waiting for my iPhone 7+ to arrive.  
2016-9-12
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Germany

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-13 09:07
Yes, our engineers are working around the clocks for this, and will add this option.

For now, if ...

Anybody know a 3rd party app that can disable the Optical Stabilization? Icouldn't find one in the Apple App store
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-13 18:19
Anybody know a 3rd party app that can disable the Optical Stabilization? Icouldn't find one in the ...

filmic pro can  (Edit: Sep 19,  Wrong info, doesn't work.)
2016-9-13
Use props
chadbello619
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1939117 ft
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-13 15:24
Thanks, the dual cameras of iPhone 7 might cause some confusion for DJI Go, if it works at all. Se ...

Hello,

I did some tests yesterday and for the most part I'm happy. I took video of my son on his bicycle and it looked very stable. I was running and was using the techniques mentioned in the other video here. The video came out pretty well and will only get better as I learn the OSMO more thoroughly. It's definitely not a "hands off" device. You have to be smooth with your motions as well for best results.

Now some gripes I have....

- There is a bug when switching from front and rear cameras. If I set video to 4K, switch to selfie camera, then back to rear camera, the resolution changes to 720p I didn't notice this until I reviewed all the videos. The resolution should stay the same until changed intentionally by the user. Sometimes the resolution changes when using different video modes such as slo-mo, timelapse, etc etc..

- No indication on the camera screen which video resolution is set active

- 70% battery on my iPhone and it died after 15 min of recording 4K??

- No phone battery indicator

- The gimbal hits the handle when not in use

- I can feel vibrations in the handle....gimbal motors need tuning for weight of the iPhone plus model

- No histogram in app???

- cannot pan while in flashlight mode

- long shutter speed is for creating blur rather than achieving proper exposure in low light scenes

All in all I had fun with it, when my phone battery wasn't dead. You really have to pay attention to how you are handling it to achieve optimum results. Don't expect the gimbal to cancel out everything, especially with the iPhone Plus models and the weight issue. The iPhone 7 Plus looks a few grams lighter than the 6s Plus so maybe that'll be enough to solve the issue along with a firmware update. Hopefully Friday I will be able to test that. Also maybe some improvements can come regarding app power consumption. When filming 4K, using Bluetooth, and running DJI GO, the battery doesn't last long. Definitely invest in a good external battery for your phone and OSMO.
2016-9-13
Use props
AKloaWV8CTgM
lvl.2

Filmic pro can only disable their own IS
2016-9-13
Use props
oLPFbmBVnT33
lvl.1
United States

I don't have the DJI Mobile. I was planning on getting one but these post have me worried.  If someone else could put out a review I would appreciate it. I hear the iPhone 6S Plus is took heavy.  I have the iPhone 7 Plus on order and my plan was to get this for social media use.

2016-9-13
Use props
shane_spencer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19534 ft
United States

Here's my test yesterday using an iPhone 6S Plus. As you can see, there's some stuttering every few seconds.

2016-9-13
Use props
oLPFbmBVnT33
lvl.1
United States

shane_spencer Posted at 2016-9-13 19:50
Here's my test yesterday using an iPhone 6S Plus. As you can see, there's some stuttering every few  ...

Thank you it's clear this stutter is not how you are walking looks to me it's a IS issue.  Hopefully this gets cleared up.
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

chadbello619@gm Posted at 2016-9-13 23:15
Hello,

I did some tests yesterday and for the most part I'm happy. I took video of my son on his  ...

Hi, the app and firmware need some tweaks and engineers are already aware of of it and are putting all resources behind this.

You can expect most issues that's on a software level be solved in the next two or three months.

About battery consumption, can you tell me how long can your battery lasts if you shoot 4K videos with your stock iOS app?  I don't have an iPhone so can't test it. Thank you.
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

AKloaWV8CTgM Posted at 2016-9-14 03:01
Filmic pro can only disable their own IS

Hi, do you have Filmic Pro installed already?  Would you please try this?  Use Filmic Pro on iPhone 6s+ to shoot videos on an Osmo Mobile gimbal, instead of of DJI Go, and see if the video quality is different.

Edit: Scratch that,

Someone already tried Filmic Pro with stabilization turned off, it doesn't solve the issue on 6s+
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

oLPFbmBVnT33 Posted at 2016-9-13 23:31
Thank you it's clear this stutter is not how you are walking looks to me it's a IS issue.  Hopeful ...

Yes, it's a major issue we're working on.

2016-9-13
Use props
DPS
New

United States

I just mounted a 6s+ on the Osmo Mobile and had great results. I think the Go App needs lots of bugs ironed out. The Phone Battery issue is the biggest one. I just run the gimbal with out the app and it works fine. This morning it was't saving any clips to the phone with the App. Iv'e been a full time Movi operator for the last 3 years and a DP for 20 years. Coming from a film background i'm always impressed with all new handheld technology but what I've learned is that there are always bugs to be worked out. I'm not a Pro DJI person as i have used a Ronin and wanted to throw it on the ground and stomp on it. The key elements to a hand held gimbals are gimbal  balance and hand/foot technique. Just watch stedicam videos on youtube and study their techniques. Carry a glass filled to the top with water and practice walking around the room. I've seen some of the glitchy shoots people have been posting and that seems like issues in the Dji gimbal. I'm sure DJI released too early because one of their competitors are releasing one soon. I do have some vibrations i can feel in the handle with the 6s+ that i didn't feel with a smaller phone. I'm sure the motors need some more firmware adjustments. Just register with app to activate and close app and turn off bluetooth and just be smooth. Maybe I'll be on the forum next week complaining about new issues, who knows. Come on DJI step it up were all waiting.
2016-9-13
Use props
mni
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

I pre-ordered the iPhone 7 plus and DJI Cosmo Mobile together last week.
Don't want to read all these scary posts.

15 min 4K filming and the battery of your phone is dead?
That makes the app useless!
That is exactly where i want to use it for!

@chadbello619 Could you test what happened if you film it with the standard app for example? Dying to know!
I understand the hobbling when walking but what about panning?
In one of the test in this forum the where strong hiccups in panning while standing still. Did you test this?

@DJI-Thor
“Hi, the app and firmware need some tweaks and engineers are already aware of of it and are putting all resources behind this.
You can expect most issues that's on a software level be solved in the next two or three months. “

Really? all your resources and it costs 3 months?
So when i get the new Oslo mobile next week, probably i run into the same issues. But if i need to wait for 3 months to see if you MAYBE can solve all the issues, i can’t return it anymore!

So what is the conclusion overall ?
Can we still use it with an another app normally?
Return it if you will use it with a  iPhone Plus?
2016-9-14
Use props
l2RivBKctUbd
New

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-12 23:16
No problem at all, I have a 6s+ with me and will make a few videos sometime today.

what happen with video??
does it take time days to recording?
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

mni@nobel.nl Posted at 2016-9-14 05:30
I pre-ordered the iPhone 7 plus and DJI Cosmo Mobile together last week.
Don't want to read all thes ...

The video vibration issue with iPhone 6s+ happens to some phone units, while not others, as you can in the posts above. We're still trying to figure out the reason.

About the 14 minutes of 4K videos, I'm suspicious and we're trying to verify this. But if it's true, you can always use stock iOS app for shooting video while you place your phone on Osmo Gimbal. Since you don't use DJI Go, this will in no way affect your phone's battery life.

But if you don't want to try, you're free to email onlinesales@dji.com  to return your unit, or cancel it online.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

chadbello619@gm Posted at 2016-9-13 11:15
Hello,

I did some tests yesterday and for the most part I'm happy. I took video of my son on his  ...

Hi, what iOS version are you using?  About the 14 minutes of 4K video, our test doesn't yield the same result. Mines is about 15% battery consumption by shooting 4K with DJI Go on 6s+.  
  Can you try again and see if it's consistent? Thank you.
2016-9-14
Use props
l2RivBKctUbd
New

Canada

http://youtu.be/p2SeedIu25g

watch 01:00,
the 'bob' effect is everywhere when the guy moves to filiming.
2016-9-14
Use props
jadot
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I thought this video was particularly informative
VIDEO DELETED FOR FOUL LANGUAGE. PLEASE DO NOT POST VIDEOS WITH OBSCENE LANGUAGE.

Again DJI with the Filmic Pro enables you to switch off OIS? It's not a solution. It's not certain that Filmic Pro is actually turning off the optical image stabilisation anyway. It looks like it's a software "antishake" feature with a cropped faux stabilisation, probably linked to the accelerometer, and accessed via an API.

Most people are probably buying the Mobile because of the active tracking feature (not available in Filmic Pro)
Most photographers know that you're better off turning off OIS or VR on a camera before mounting it to a tripod. Why? Because the OIS is active and will try to work even in a stabilised environment, which will counteract the fact that the camera is on a tripod. Try making video with a DSLR with OIS or VR switched on and you will likely see the same kind of jittery footage as is shown in the video above. This looks to be what is happening with the Osmo Mobile, and the chances are DJI won't be able to turn off OIS unless Apple let them near the mechanics of it, and that's unlikely to happen.

OIS is now on the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus. It's optical image stabilisation - the glass and lens assembly, (or in some cases the sensor) moves to counter the user's movement. You can't turn it off in software. That's going to mean that the Osmo Mobile is incompatible with either of these iPhones as it tries to stabilise a moving stabiliser and there most likely won't be a way to switch OIS off. Unless DJI can work out a software solution to cancel out the complicated maths of Apple's Proprietry OIS (e.g lightening fast guesswork on the fly) you're stuffed.
Just for balance I also found this clip - Some awful staccato video from an iPhone 5 - Although, it has to be said, she seems to think it's all pretty amazeballs. If my footage comes out anything like this, stabilised or not, I'm sending it back.

2016-9-14
Use props
oLPFbmBVnT33
lvl.1
United States

I'm SO BUMMED  to see all these comments. This product looked amazing I wanted one so bad.  I'm a photojournalist this would of been very handy  for on the go quick social media videos or live streams. I'm not going to buy one and wait 3 months to see if DJI fixes the issue.

If they get them at Bestbuy next month or so I might pick one up there. I'm a elite plus member and I get 42 days to return products so I can test it out for awhile then return it
2016-9-14
Use props
irzQnzgxJb40
lvl.1

United States

oLPFbmBVnT33 Posted at 2016-9-14 11:37
I'm SO BUMMED  to see all these comments. This product looked amazing I wanted one so bad.  I'm a ph ...

Just a reminder for those of you waiting for a iPhone 7 plus (like myself)... the longer focal length lens on the iPhone 7 Plus DOES NOT have OIS... only the shorter focal length lens.  So if you're shooting using the native Apple Camera App and hit the 2X button, you are no longer getting and OIS from the phone.

(on an unrelated note, this seems like a stupid decision on Apple's part... wouldn't you want OIS more on the longer focal length camera?)

My own Mobile is on order and delayed to the "around 9/22 date" but when I get it I do have an iPhone 6 (no OIS), and a Samsung Galaxy S7 to test (in addition to my iPhone 7 Plus scheduled to arrive around the same time as the DJI).

2016-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules