Deleting data recorder files
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rwparkinson.inc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 466253 ft
United States

How do you delete data files on aircraft after downloading flight logs to PC? Seems the hard drive is filling up with information I no longer need stored on aircraft. Thanks.
2016-9-9
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Not sure if you mean the drone or your device? If your talking the actual flight logs and not the videos, being there text files they shouldn't be take up that much space. On your device there's a option in the Go app to delete the flight logs, if you really mean the drone itself I don't' know that you would need to. Never did mine and haven't heard anyone before ask about that.
2016-9-9
Use props
rwparkinson.inc
lvl.1
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-10 01:07
Not sure if you mean the drone or your device? If your talking the actual flight logs and not the vi ...

Thanks. So are the flight logs storred on both the devise (Apple 4 mini in my case - 16 GB) and the drone? I guess my initial question was with regard to the drone - do you just allow all of your flight logs to be saved to the drone hard drive forever or is there a need at some point to delete older or unimportant files to make room for newer ones. Some goes for the devise.  Or is the hard drive storage on both the drone and devise simply too large for this to ever be a problem?  Appreciate your thoughts.
2016-9-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

First, there is no hard drive on the drone.  There is a microSD card.  2nd, what do you mean by flight log?  Like wmcvey said, I've never heard anyone ask this question before.  Since there is never a mention of deleting the files in the "embedded" storage in the drone, I'm sure there is probably a file management system built in to the system that would keep tabs on how much memory there is left.  I've never even heard mention of how large that card might be.  The fact that it never comes up more than likely means you don't need to do anything with it.  It will be interesting to see if DJI chimes in on this.
2016-9-9
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

rwparkinson.inc Posted at 2016-9-9 18:39
Thanks. So are the flight logs storred on both the devise (Apple 4 mini in my case - 16 GB) and th ...

I've never deleted any fight logs yet. If I did it would only be on the device if storage space got low. That's what I first thought you meant, even though you said drone. Because it's the flight logs on your device that most people are familiar with. These are the logs you can play back via the Go app, and these are the logs you can sync with the DJI server, and also upload to third party web sites all from your device. Some don't even know there's a different copy of flight logs on the drone itself.
2016-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-10 11:31
I've never deleted any fight logs yet. If I did it would only be on the device if storage space go ...

As AG0N-Garry says, there is a micro-SD card in the drone, in fact two of them. One stores your pictures, photos and logs, the other stores flight logs and is fixed inside the aircraft. You cannot delete the files on that drive, and as Gary says, it most likely has a file scavenging process to mage the storage.
2016-9-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The internal storage just keeps the flight data for the last few flights and is continually overwriting the oldest.
You don't have to do anything - and indeed, you can't
2016-9-9
Use props
Sparky
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-9-10 06:54
First, there is no hard drive on the drone.  There is a microSD card.  2nd, what do you mean by flig ...

Thanks. Appears I don't need to worry about file management; the DJI software does it for me.
2016-9-10
Use props
Sparky
lvl.1
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-10 09:31
I've never deleted any fight logs yet. If I did it would only be on the device if storage space got ...

Ok, thanks.
2016-9-10
Use props
Sparky
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-10 09:37
As AG0N-Garry says, there is a micro-SD card in the drone, in fact two of them. One stores your pic ...

Thanks for the input.
2016-9-10
Use props
Sparky
lvl.1
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-10 12:44
The internal storage just keeps the flight data for the last few flights and is continually overwrit ...

Thanks for the input.
2016-9-10
Use props
fansd976cade
lvl.1
Flight distance : 202953 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-9 17:37
As AG0N-Garry says, there is a micro-SD card in the drone, in fact two of them. One stores your pictures, photos and logs, the other stores flight logs and is fixed inside the aircraft. You cannot delete the files on that drive, and as Gary says, it most likely has a file scavenging process to mage the storage.

The files CAN be deleted simply by connecting aircraft to PC. You also have to connect the controller to your phone first to enter flight data mode, files will show on PC screen, then delete them. To answer other questions, older files are automatically overwritten when aircraft SC card is full.
2017-12-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

fansd976cade Posted at 2017-12-20 07:27
The files CAN be deleted simply by connecting aircraft to PC. You also have to connect the controller to your phone first to enter flight data mode, files will show on PC screen, then delete them. To answer other questions, older files are automatically overwritten when aircraft SC card is full.

Finally the correct answer.

This is exactly what I did after buying 2nd hand P3P ....

BUT note - DJI repair centre still had access to old data that was hidden from me .... when it went in for repair. So I suspect a hidden partition or hidden files on that fixed SD card.

Nigel
2017-12-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The files CAN be deleted simply by connecting aircraft to PC. You also have to connect the controller to your phone first to enter flight data mode, files will show on PC screen, then delete them. To answer other questions, older files are automatically overwritten when aircraft SC card is full.

You can't delete the files on the internal memory.
DJI took away that ability to do that a couple of years ago.
2017-12-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-20 14:13
You can't delete the files on the internal memory.
DJI took away that ability to do that a couple of years ago.

Oh ? That's strange ...

Please tell my P3P that it should not have allowed me to do exactly that. FW when bought was 1.10.09 ....

BUT DJI when they had AC in for repair shortly after - when FW change bricked it ... pulled data files from a hidden partition.

So I assume you mix up the two .... internal data files we can access ... internal data files hidden.

Nigel
2017-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-21 00:57
Oh ? That's strange ...

Please tell my P3P that it should not have allowed me to do exactly that. FW when bought was 1.10.09 ....

What makes you think that you deleted the internal recorded flight data?
How do you know that DJI didn't just access the normal  internal recorded flight data?
2017-12-21
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Oh stupid me ... I thought the computer screen could show the folder and contents when connected ....

Here we go again .... the slippery slope .....

Nigel
2017-12-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Just to finalise this ... I just repeated the exercise I did ages ago ....

Power all up .... enter Flight Data Mode ... plug in PC to AC ...

You can delete ... copy ... reformat ....

I'm on FW 1.11.20 ... no trouble at all ...

As to files ..... 21 flight dat files ... 1.13Gb .... going back months ....

Some claim that it only records last 4 flights ... I think they mistake the 4Gb partition of the card ... which when full overwrites the oldest files ... what is termed 'revolving archive'. Of course to 'read' then requires utility to un-encrypt them ....

If anyone wants to test ... try this :  https://support.dronesmadeeasy.c ... tom-3-and-Inspire-1

Nigel

Merry Xmas !
2017-12-23
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

It is an old post but it is still worth it to point out that you cannot delete flight logs from the drone, not when connected to a PC either.
Indeed the micro SD with flight logs does show up in Windows as an external drive, but there is no way to delete the files and ownership of them cannot be changed.
1-30 11:19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules