973 3 2015-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
combatvet71.gma
New
Flight distance : 34846 ft
  • >>>
United States

After I had recovered my brand new Phantom 2 from the field and picked up the pieces of the prop guard, I came home and hooked up the Assistant Software and found that the IMU calib screen was frozen up.  I finally received my Phantom 2, H3-3D, FPV Combo pack around the 8th of January.  Prior to it's arrival I had been flying the Real Flight 7.5.  After the Phantom arrived, I removed the Gimbal per my dealers suggestion so that I could do training flights in a large pasture beside the house.  In the short time I had the Phantom, I calibrated the Compass before every flight just to get in the habit.  I made sure that everything was 100% charged and exchanged batteries when the indicator got down to two bar.  What I am saying, is that what caused the crash was most definitely not pilot error.

I had just taken a long flight and brought the Phantom back and decided to walk behind it while I fly it between two buildings.  As soon as I cleared the buildings the Phantom went into very fast tumble, spin and roll before hitting the ground.  I thought that a PIR motion detector might have caused the problem, so I took off again but this time I was about 50 yards of less from the PHantom at about 15 to 20 feet in the air and the exact thing happened again.  Saying that it went totally haywire is an understatement, there was no way to control the unit because it happened so fast and there was no way to gain control as such a low height.  

Consider this, prior to this flight failure, I had reinstalled the Gimbal and it would not power up, software screen for the Gimbal was locked and could not enter anything.  So I sent it back, thinking that the Gimbal was broken.  Evidently, the failure of the Gimbal to power up was actually, in my opinion, an indication of a much larger problem with the Phantom 2 itself.  Total flight time is around 8 hours or less.  

Has anyone else experienced this event or known of this happening.  After speaking with one of the Tech's at Intelligent UAS in Maryland, I am not real confident in this middle east accented technicians abilities.  He has lied to me twice about the Gimbals arrival date and has a really poor customer relations attitude.  He may have even been the one who put mine together and screwed it up.  

So now I am waiting to see what the hell is found out and what caused this to happen.  I mailed it back on the 28th of January and when I finally looked at the dates, I have owned this Phantom less than 3 weeks and it would seem to me that this specific unit is a real lemon.  So if I can not get this matter resolved, then a refund will be the next step.

2015-1-30
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

As soon as you said you flew between two buildings you should have readd the instructions those buildings most likely caused you to lose gps.
2015-1-31
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Loss of GPS would only put the Phantom into Attitude mode , not make it flip out.
2015-1-31
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2015-2-1 08:08
Loss of GPS would only put the Phantom into Attitude mode , not make it flip out.

Yes but if he didn't know he may not realize how to fly it.
2015-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules