Gimbal not level for new Phantom 4
6530 26 2016-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vdv3ZSRFTXL3
New

United States

Hello all,

I have had my new Phantom 4 for about a week and am really enjoying it. The one problem I have had is that the gimbal is tilted, with the left side of the horizon being higher than the right. I have tested this against a water horizon, as well as some buildings nearby.

Here is what I have done in an attempt to fix.

• Downloaded the DJI Assistant 2.
  • Tried "Refreshing" the latest firmware.
  • Went through the calibration setup in the DJI Assistant 2.
  • Did a factory reset.

The problem remains. Any suggestions?

Help is appreciated.
2016-9-11
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

calibrate the IMU's and the compass system in that order and according to the DJi instructions. make sure when you're calibrating the compass, no metal around and no keys knives etc in your pockets.
2016-9-11
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

one other thing, when calibrating the IMU's, the aircraft needs to be near perfectly level !
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello ,please do the IMU calibration on a completely flat surface. And you could adjust gimbal roll in the gimbal settings.
If still no improvement, please post a image here.I'll help to check it.
2016-9-11
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

watch this before you cal  IMU. its from tom's tech time. very good info.
2016-9-11
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

thanx DJi Mindy, you are correct there. I figured since his phantom was only a week old, that maybe go ahead and do the imu and compass systems calibrate !!!
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2016-9-12 09:34
thanx DJi Mindy, you are correct there. I figured since his phantom was only a week old, that maybe  ...

In addition to an IMU calibration, please perform a gimbal calibration as well. If the issue persists, try adjusting the gimbal roll manually.
2016-9-11
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I have had mixed success with gimal level since I have had the P4. This is will full calibrations etc. One thing I have noticed is that the P4 itself is not flying level, so if I hover with the front or the back of the aircraft at my eye level is it slightly tilted and it's roughly the same tilt as the gimbal. My next and last option is to try new props and/or swapping props and see if the tilt changes at all.

I have done calibrations very very level - I have bought a small (German) spirit level especially for the task and it's rated at 0.5mm/1m accurate. I may also try to game the system by calibrating on a non-level surface to compensate for the in-flight tilt.

Anyone noticed the same and done anything about it?
2016-9-12
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

Bill Nichols put out a video on how to fix the Horizon level.
2016-9-16
Use props
wsucoug7
New

United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2016-9-11 19:10
calibrate the IMU's and the compass system in that order and according to the DJi instructions. make ...

Thank you for your helpful reply. As it turns out, what I thought was a level table was not a good choice for the initial calibration.
2016-9-18
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 829908 ft
United States

peter@wonderlan Posted at 2016-9-12 18:58
I have had mixed success with gimal level since I have had the P4. This is will full calibrations et ...

Im having the same problem and this is my 3rd replacement from DJI. I did notice the craft tilted at eye level. I just thought it was the wind. I have to look at this again.

The other issue is after i do adjust the gimbal roll it goes tilted again. I tried panning really slow and it goes tilt. I have to pan it super face in the opposite direction of the tilt to get it straight but that only last a few seconds.

I have been dealing with it since April and I refuse to send it in again. I have sent it to DJI 3 times and every time they sent me a replacement craft and the thing still tilted. My experience with DJI repair center has been horrible. If they would just fix the craft instead of just replacing it I think it would have been resolved.

Let us know if the prop change makes a difference. This has been really discouraging, especially the support.
2016-9-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wsucoug7 Posted at 2016-9-19 08:12
Thank you for your helpful reply. As it turns out, what I thought was a level table was not a good ...

So is the gimbal level now sorted ?
2016-9-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

juliovincentyjr Posted at 2016-9-19 15:11
Im having the same problem and this is my 3rd replacement from DJI. I did notice the craft tilted  ...

Are you using latest firmware ?
2016-9-19
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 829908 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2016-9-19 22:22
Are you using latest firmware ?

Of course. It has nothing to do with that. I bought the craft 3 firmwares ago and everyone had the tilt.
2016-9-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

juliovincentyjr Posted at 2016-9-20 02:56
Of course. It has nothing to do with that. I bought the craft 3 firmwares ago and everyone had the ...

"It has nothing to do with that."

Well the update to 1.1.411 appears to have sorted the gimbal tilt that I had, which is why I asked the question.

And I am now on latest version 1.2.503 without problems. I also adusted the control settings to get smooth panning, that may have had some effect as well.

2016-9-20
Use props
voripteth
lvl.1

United States

My Phantom 4 has this tilt issue no matter where or how often I calibrate the IMU.  I believe this is a wide-spread problem since many, many phantom 4 videos online also show this problem.  It's not horrible but certainly noticeable.
2016-9-21
Use props
calmax
lvl.3
United States

I found that if you rotate the aircraft left and right 360 degrees in the mid air after take off, the gimbal seems to level out the tilt horizon.  My problem with gimbal/camera is it is not pointing straight.  Its pointing about 5 degree to the left.  
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

calmax Posted at 2016-9-22 00:39
I found that if you rotate the aircraft left and right 360 degrees in the mid air after take off, th ...

Have you done a gimbal calibration.
If it's always panned a little to the side then if it's a P3, maybe the gimbal arm set screw is a little loose. If you turn the tamers all the way to the right you can see the set screw.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

voripteth@gmail Posted at 2016-9-21 22:43
My Phantom 4 has this tilt issue no matter where or how often I calibrate the IMU.  I believe this i ...

Have you tried a factory reset from the Assistant2 on your computer.
Also the gimbal roll should fix it. If you've tried all troubleshooting steps and it's still tilted, please contact support about sending it in for evaluation.
2016-9-21
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

calmax Posted at 2016-9-21 17:39
I found that if you rotate the aircraft left and right 360 degrees in the mid air after take off, th ...

My 1st P4 was exactly that too pointed a few degrees to the left after restarted drone, only had it a week and after finding my feet you learn and notice things and that was what i noticed, took it back to jesops and showed them, they replaced it there and then, new craft has been fine imo.
2016-9-21
Use props
calmax
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-22 01:00
Have you done a gimbal calibration.
If it's always panned a little to the side then if it's a P3,  ...

I have Phantom 4, not Phantom 3.  When I got my phantom 4, before the firmware update, the gimbal was pointing straight.  But after firmware update, gimbal start to pointing 5 to 10 degree to the left.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

calmax Posted at 2016-9-22 08:31
I have Phantom 4, not Phantom 3.  When I got my phantom 4, before the firmware update, the gimbal  ...

Can you try a factory reset, you can do that from the Assistant2 software on your computer.
http://www.dji.com/phantom-4/info#downloads
2016-9-21
Use props
calmax
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-22 08:44
Can you try a factory reset, you can do that from the Assistant2 software on your computer.
http:/ ...

I did a factory reset, firmware downgrade, but Gimbal still point to the left.  
2016-9-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

calmax Posted at 2016-9-22 22:45
I did a factory reset, firmware downgrade, but Gimbal still point to the left.

Sorry about that, then I would contact support 818-235-0789
2016-9-22
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

I just had the same issue with my new P4.  Sent it in for repair and it's been a couple weeks.  They say they are fixing it under warranty but I haven't received it back yet....hopefully my gimbal is level when I get it back.
2016-9-23
Use props
pelermon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34094 ft
United States

Black Diesel Posted at 2016-9-23 18:01
I just had the same issue with my new P4.  Sent it in for repair and it's been a couple weeks.  They ...

I sent mine in on Monday, they say they do not have it yet, I thought turn around would be much faster. I should have returned it to Amazon. I'm went cockeyed in mid flight -  - At about  the 1:50 mark -
2016-9-25
Use props
gmccurdy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft

My P4 does that on a hard yaw left-right and then the horizon is tilted.  I normally tune it a bit on launch when hovering with the gimbal roll aligning the horizon with with the grid, and then go fly it.  If I yaw too fast and/or brake, I might need to readjust the tilt with the gimbal roll.  I've had it from -1 to +1 at times but it doesn't bother me too much as I can adjust it, I just need to not yaw or brake so fast.  Also, I've noted it seems to happen more with a heavier than stock ND or polarizer filter too.

2016-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules