Very unhappy, new update bricked my Phantom
3240 33 2015-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Did just like every other time; powered on the Phantom, connected to PC, opened Assist app.  Prompted for update and pressed update button.  Phantom beeps while update (Hmm, not sure I remember that before but OK)...  About 15 seconds later, message: "Update failed, power cycle Phantom and try again.  I did that, power cycled, leaving it connected and now the Assist app doesn't see the Phantom, it just beeps an annoying beep every second.

Tried uninstalling software, and driver, reinstalled.  Same thing.

Now what DJI, I have a beeping and dead Phantom!

Please Don't tell me I need to send it back for repair; that would NOT make me at all happy!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try it a few more times before opening up the chassis and doing the pin short thing to reflash from root but I'm hoping not to need to do that if I can get it to work another way and since most wouldn't be comfortable opening up the machine I'd like to find a way others who hit this could recover!

I knew I should have waited!
2015-1-30
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thats a coincidence. just this miniute i commented on another post, i will not be updating. If it aint broke dont fix it, because of this very reason.
2015-1-30
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Im new to the phantom world but im am a 20 year computer tech and if we were talking about anything else i would advise you to try a different USB cable first.
2015-1-30
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

WOW... I know you are writing an app to make "Vision App" better and so I assumed you know a lot more about the P2 than most of us.  If this can happen to you...I'm doomed.  You have me a little, a lot, freaked out.  I may wait to try to update my bird.  

Good luck, keep us posted.  
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I was skeptical of doing the upgrade, but last night I bit the bullet, crossed my fingers, uninstalled the windows drivers and both apps and downloaded all the new ones.  Got the upgraded app for my tablet and so far everything works as written.  I never did download the FC200 for the camera when that came out, I didn't think I needed it.  I'm like you in some ways,  I also have the pin jumper if needed.  I'm sure you will get it all up and running soon.
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I also have the pin jumper if needed.

I'm hoping not to need to pull them out since anyone else running into this wouldn't likely want to go that route so if I can find a less intrusive fix I'll post it.

Yes, it does put a halt on the app development but if there are no new bugs then I won't need the Phantom right away.
2015-1-30
Use props
nilsblix.email
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hello
I have done all upgrades Assistant- Vison - Camera and extender on my P2V+ V3. Everything works fine except that I can not se the rear led lights on the vision app only where it first was N/A now it says Nazamode.
But no appcrashes or anything.
UPDATE;

Now I have tried to provoke the gimbal warning - result app Crash
2015-1-30
Use props
Crash
lvl.1

United States

Just a note of hope perhaps.  I have done all updates as of this morning and everything is working normal.  The vision app shows NAZAMODE now instead of N/A.  In Phantom Mode, it works as advertised.

Hope you get your problems worked out.
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Happy once again.

I uninstalled ALL DJI software from the PC, checked for Windows updates (none) and rebooted the PC.  Next, download all new copies of driver and Assist.  Installed Driver, connected Phantom when the driver install prompted to do so, driver install completed.  Next, installed Assist software (did I mention how ANNOYING a beeping Phantom is?), Assist software installed and started and I was prompted to install update (did I mention how ANNOYING a beeping Phantom is?).  This time I get the percentage bar moving up (did I mention how ANNOYING a beeping Phantom is?) and it reached 100%, reported success which is good because I was about to beat the beeping Phantom to death!

All better and I didn't need to open it up!
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-31 02:30
Happy once again.

I uninstalled ALL DJI software from the PC, checked for Windows updates (none) an ...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,  Happy Flying
I had to delete the apps and windows drivers also.
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 02:31
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,  Happy Flying
I had to delete the apps and windows drivers also.

We appear to be starting a trend (uninstalling before update) ;)

2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-31 02:35
We appear to be starting a trend (uninstalling before update) ;)

Whatever works we have to do it.  I was just afraid I would get conflicting info from over writing the other app, so I deleted first and everything went in the first time.
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It will be interesting to see how quickly DJI gets back to me; I emailed them around the same time I started this thread; so far just automated: "We will get back to you"...
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-31 02:37
It will be interesting to see how quickly DJI gets back to me; I emailed them around the same time I ...

Probably by the end of February
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

If anyone else is having trouble installing the updated app, just uninstall both apps and your windows drivers and download the fresh updated ones, including the windows driver.
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 02:39
Probably by the end of February

Yes, but which Friday???
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-31 02:44
Yes, but which Friday???

The 6th Friday of February.
2015-1-30
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gerry,
Sorry but the response you will get is:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (88375) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

M. L.       
M. L. (DJI Technology)
Jan 29, 16:03

Thank you for contacting DJI.

The issues that you're describing require for you to send in your unit for repair.

In order to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number, we encourage you to call our support staff via phone to discuss your options.

You may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

DJI Customer Service North America

And then they have the nerve to send me an email asking me to click "satisfied" or dissatisfied": to which I reply:

It is very difficult for me to put a satisfied response due to the fact that I do not believe you were actually reading the whole question or concern but simply as soon as you see anything technical in nature you say call us for an RMA and send your unit in instead of actually reading and understanding the question.

Regards,
2015-1-30
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 02:55
The 6th Friday of February.

Gerry & Ken,

I rely heavily on your input as you two guys seem to be the most knowledgeable and competent folks trying to help anyone who owns a DJI product.  I'm sure you are correct in uninstalling all of the software as the first BEST STEP to do prior to any future updates of ANY KIND!!!

It's sad to see this info must come from you guys rather than DJI.  I stated in a few other posts that they have a serious credibility issue coming from their QC side of the equation.  I know you guys are working with Vision+ models...it would probably be best advice to UNINSTALL for other Phantom models as well.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Rick
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

steadystickrick Posted at 2015-1-31 04:50
Gerry & Ken,

I rely heavily on your input as you two guys seem to be the most knowledgeable and c ...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Happy Flying!
2015-1-30
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 04:54
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Happy Flying!

You too, Gerry...
2015-1-30
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-31 02:30
Happy once again.

I uninstalled ALL DJI software from the PC, checked for Windows updates (none) an ...

Ken, glad it's working again. What is the pin fix you were talking about?
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-1-31 06:13
Ken, glad it's working again. What is the pin fix you were talking about?

It's a hard reset

2015-1-30
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Gerry!
2015-1-30
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

glad it worked out for you bro, id be effin peed if mine was busted
2015-1-30
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 06:23
It's a hard reset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7sg_7FmZ4g

Gerry,
Thanks for this video info.
Do you know where you can get a "jumper" like he shows in the video.
Do you have a source?
Thanks,
Rick
2015-1-30
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

DJI is sort of like a Chinese restaurant.  They only hire other Chinese.  Therefore, a lot is lost in translation.  Like them telling me the cord for the trainer port is included, then telling me they 'thought' I meant the neckstrap for the controller (also not included, btw).
2015-1-30
Use props
NachoKaoS
lvl.1

Spain

upgrade works fine for me,no way to update from last version of software,so i delete and reinstall the vision asintant 3.8 to upgrade ,first attempt looks like a brick second one works fine.
just in case i recalibrate all,
i cant belive it!!! the vision app works really well now(iphone 6 last ios update too).all new features works fine.
so with all updates looks like its stable again.
no time to flight with it yet ,let it try tomorow.
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

I ALWAYS perform full calibrations after any update; I don't trust that old calibration values stick between upgrades and even if they stick I don't trust that the memory location that the firmware reads the values hasn't changes.
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

steadystickrick Posted at 2015-1-31 08:51
Gerry,
Thanks for this video info.
Do you know where you can get a "jumper" like he shows in the  ...

When I had the top off and doing my compass shielding, I looked at the small 4 prong plugs that were plugged into the controller.  I went to Best Buy and bought something that looked the same, cut the plastic plug and kept the 1 wire in the single plug, that's my jumper  wire now.
2015-1-30
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 11:58
When I had the top off and doing my compass shielding, I looked at the small 4 prong plugs that we ...

Thanks Gerry
2015-1-30
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RadioShack has them (or nearly any electronics store).  If you take the Phantom with, you may even be able to find a pre-made jumper cable.
2015-1-30
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nilsblix.email Posted at 2015-1-31 02:12
Hello
I have done all upgrades Assistant- Vison - Camera and extender on my P2V+ V3. Everything work ...

Hurray, Thank you.

Now that you have verified that having all the app and firmware updated the Gimbal warning crashes the app I will write directly to DJI Support.

Cheers

2015-1-31
Use props
nilsblix.email
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

bjr981s Posted at 2015-1-31 18:37
Hurray, Thank you.

Now that you have verified that having all the app and firmware updated the Gim ...

Hello

I will also write to them.
2015-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules