Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

banner.jpg

Here is a review I made of the Osmo Mobile in my usual "low tech" way - I am a normal user just like most of you guys so have no budget for the snazzy reviews that some of the big Tech firms have made or others vloggers paid to do so have. DJI have had no influence on what I say nor have they paid me to do the review, my opinions are my own.

This is the review video. Visit Youtube to watch it as in the description I have time linked to various parts as it is long and might bore some of you to death

Best Points..
1: ActiveTrack - Just love this feature and it works really well. Best suited for vloggers or even pointing it at your face whilst hoverboarding or on a bike ( handheld ).
2: Motion Timelapse - I love making timelapses on my Phone and this takes it to another level.
3: Battery lasts a long time.. You will charge your phone many times before the Osmo needs more juice. If you get spare batteries make them the new High Capacity versions..
4: Easy to setup with multiple smartphones. A new smartphone means the Osmo gets a new camera
5: Accessories for the original Osmo works with this one ( except the Z-Axis ) - See here for what works..
6: It's priced very competitively compared to other products n the market. You get the benefit of a DJI gimbal knowing it is good quality from people who design their own.
7: Works with most modern smartphones ( IOS and Android ). Fits smartphones 58.6mm to 84.8mm and  8.4mm thick.

Some bad points / observations..
1: Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on the smartphone does not play well in conjunction with a gimbal. hard running or having it attached to a bike/car will cause unwanted glitched in the recorded video.
2: In very quiet environments and a smartphone with it's mic on the bottom will result in picking up some motor noise from the gimbal.
3: The gimbal does not like strong wind and the bigger the phone the more surface area the wind has to push against it ruining the video. Just be aware..
4: I think an option to control the speed of the gimbal movement when using the joystick is needed. just seems a bit slow for some uses.
5: Ninja walk is needed to get the most smooth video. You cannot use the Z-Axis!
6: When using multiple points in the Motion Timelapse, the transition between panning and tilting is not really smooth ( seems a bit abrupt ).

Overall I like the Osmo Mobile and if you don't own an original Osmo and wish to have steady buttery smooth video from your smartphone then the Osmo Mobile is the way to go. if yuo already own an Original Osmo and are in no dire need of ActiveTrack or Motion Timelapse, I would not go and sell a Kidney to buy one..
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the video ( if not sorry ). Check www.osmo-guide.co.uk for more Osmo related stuff..

2016-9-17
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Video is private - can't watch
2016-9-17
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dennish Posted at 2016-9-17 22:21
Video is private - can't watch

Still uploading .. Will be up in a few minutes..
2016-9-17
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-9-18 05:24
Still uploading  .. Will be up in a few minutes..

Opps - thanks
2016-9-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for the video, will be interesting to see how it gets on with iPhone 7 , I have an osmo original but am tempted because of the handiness of it, good job
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-9-19 01:51
Thanks for the video, will be interesting to see how it gets on with iPhone 7 , I have an osmo origi ...

It works perfect with iPhone 7, while for 7+ the stabilization will require gentler walking because of its heavier weight.
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

To OP,

1. It's been confirmed the issue with 6s+ is not with OIS, but simply with its weight

2. A speed control option for gibmal movement will be added later.
2016-9-20
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-20 10:42
To OP,

1. It's been confirmed the issue with 6s+ is not with OIS, but simply with its weight

Thanks for the update.. Bad news on the iphone + size.. Especially for the new 7 as the + is the popular one..
I was using the LG G5 in my test and that was terrible when moving quickly..

Is this something that DJI can fix regarding gimbal performance? Bit of a blow for it not to work with Apple's flagship devices..
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

sploodge Posted at 2016-9-20 06:09
Thanks for the update.. Bad news on the iphone + size.. Especially for the new 7 as the + is the p ...

No, it's a hardware limit, there's no stabilizer on z-axis.

LG G5 's video shouldn't be terrible unless you're running with it. Can you post a video of holding it with Osmo Mobile and walking at a normal speed?
2016-9-20
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-20 11:32
No, it's a hardware limit, there's no stabilizer on z-axis.

LG G5 's video shouldn't be terrible u ...

G5 was ok with walking and slower movement.. running was not good..

such bad news on iphone 7+ and any device that size/weight really.. Even DJI's site says it works with the iphone 6 PLUS
iOS Version v2.9.2.Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus.
I know thats for the APP but it is on the Osmo mobile page and there is no other reference for compatible smartphones..

Foot and Shot comes to mind...

Capture.PNG

2016-9-20
Use props
YzaiTaN8ngkI
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-20 02:42
To OP,

so you're saying the osmo mobile is useless with any of Apples Iphone Plus products?
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

YzaiTaN8ngkI Posted at 2016-9-21 07:42
so you're saying the osmo mobile is useless with any of Apples Iphone Plus products?

No, it's not useless. Rather, it works pretty well with iPhone 6+, 6s+, 7+ if you follow proper walking skills.

This is what Ken shot with Osmo Mobile and iPhone 6+

2016-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules