Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ireland To NYC Drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simondobbins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

Leaving for NYC on Friday and i want to bring the Phantom.  Is anyone aware of issues regarding Airlines and drones? I assume i should well pack it and have it checked or check everything except the body and cary that in hand luggage?

Any suggestions/advice please?  Also anyone firmilar with local spots where flight might be an issue when i get there ?
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, I'd suggest you discharge the battery.You could refer to our battery safety guidelines.And you could consult local airport to check whether there are special rules.
Travel Notice.png
2016-9-13
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

Contact your Airline, most allow the batteries to be in checked luggage, and the drone in carry on baggage ( or vice versa ), the rules vary. "fireproof battery bags" have caused problems in some places... Apparently the rechargable battery in the R/C isn't an issue as it can't be accessed.

As for flying it in N.Y.C., use common sense, don't fly near buildings, roads, people, areas where aircraft are present..
There are designated areas in city parks where you can fly... otherwise, good luck finding a place in a densely populated place like NYC where it's permissible to fly.
Maybe someone that lives there is better informed.
And if a cop thinks you're being a nuisance, you'd likely find yourself with a "reckless endangerment" charge.

2016-9-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Batteries cannot be checked.  They must be part of carry-on.  At least that's the last thing I heard.
2016-9-13
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Very few and limited areas in NY to fly legally. All state parks, County parks, and local town parks are off limit.

Many areas in NYC are restricted and you can not fly anywhere close to airports, monuments, govt buildings, bridges, lighthouses, etc etc.

If you decide to bring it anyway, do your homework before you go out to fly. Stay away from people and go Stealthy!  I was going to say fly a kite or something else, but you are not allowed to fly kites anyway! If you go to the local beaches, they are off limits. Bring a fishing pole and fish instead. Let Litchi waypoints fly it for you.
2016-9-13
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Netherlands

You also have to register your Phantom when you get there.

We wrote an article about traveling with your Phantom a while ago that you can refer to for reminders/tips if you want.
2016-9-14
Use props
simondobbins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks Everyone, might be better off keeping at home
2016-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules