Mountain flying with P4 - weather, orientation and so on
718 1 2016-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
benjamin.tichy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, got my first drone just two weeks ago, I intend to do mostly mapping but also some hiking and flying in remote areas so would like to hear some opinions.

I'm totally missing information while flying, I think that DJI Go app should definitely offer option to see in the middle of camera horizon level!!! plus compass/degrees to home point, speed distance, sensor height and maybe other things would also be fine but first two things are absolutely crucial - I'm in the mountains 3km from my home point and I need to know where I am but if I would watch the map, touch the screen and so on at the same time I can crash to hillside or so - there ain't no update or similar to app what would help?
Can DJI guys somehow suggest it to development?:-) P4 has everything what it needs and can be flown like a plane, it's only software thing, every simulator has it (not to say real fighters - HUD displays).

Low temperatures - I got once warning "battery level below 15 deg warm it up" and I see that P4 is basically supposed to be flown above 0 - what happens at -3? Am I going to do some harm? Battery, sensors or so? In fact the air is much dryer at -3 then in +3 so from this point seems to me lower temperature quite better...
Also I can fly in 3 deg, but higher can be easily below 0 so want to know if it's really a risk (thermometer would be also very very handy on P4...) What's the minimum battery temperature which is safe to fly?

Rain - I'm talking about flying in Scotland :-)) so I can't rule out that I get caught by rain or fly through rain patch I wasn't aware of, if it happens is better to land, turn off the motors and walk for it (can be long time) or fly home? Can rain actually take it down? I understand that water harms mostly the motherboards inside and so on and it seems to me, that whirling props can get the water inside easier than an hour of standing in the rain (with power button on of course), any experiences? Guy who sold me the drone told me, that water can make no harm to motors itself...

Legislation - basically 120m, but it's AGL so if I'm standing at the bottom of 500m hill I can fly max attitude, right?

I did try it this weekend, at height about 480m from my homepoint it was still in the valley below hill tops but I caught some wind...on the ground was about 20 m/s and later I found data that on hilltops were gusts over 50 m/s :-)), full speed back resulted only to drone going away "only" 10 m/s  - that was moment when I realised that I need the flying data in big on a main screen as in between touching the screen and finding out whats good direction the drone was half a mile away...descend 100m sorted things out and the craft was on the way back (with my adrenalin dead high haha) - I do take off and landing in P mode but usually use S mode to have full capabilities when needed and never use RTH button as I just don't trust it.

The carbon props any better when fighting extreme wind? What they are intended for?

Happy flying, thanks, B.

2016-9-13
Use props
mpv-video
New

Russia

Hi benjamin!
I flew in the mountains of Armenia and Georgia at the heights up to 300 m over tops of mountains recently.
It is necessary to fly very carefully because very strong wind on the ball can be.
And it is always necessary to look at deviations of a kopter. It is better to fly to a calm weather, strong wind and other conditions put the battery quicker.

2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules