Place a owner label on Drone - good or bad idea ?
5479 32 2016-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144 ft
United Kingdom

Hiya

Just want to ask what people think about this idea.....

I am in 2 minds about placing a small label on my P4 with my name and a contact number on it - just incase of the worse case scenario it flies off into the blue yonder to never to return.

1. I think its a good idea incase it just flies off, lands and doesn't damage any one or anything - then some one honest could call to say they have found it. Great

2. I think it could be a bad idea, it flies off and worse case scenario it causes damage or worse - then they could trace you down and you'll in the pooh.

Does anyone else place a label on their drone ?

Cheers

Tony

2016-9-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

I personally have my FAA number and phone number on a label on all of my quads. However, I also have GPS trackers on them as well. I take every precaution before, during, and after my flights that I can to ensure that these things don't happen, but I also like to be prepared in case of the rare technical malfunction. I'm not worried about any legal issues if it flies off and damages something. I would take responsibility and work with my insurance/attorney to determine the at fault party (either me or DJI) handles my business. If your quad flies away, you wouldn't run and hide like a coward, would you?
2016-9-15
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Good question, I've been tempted for a long time to put my mobile number on it, but as you say you may just want to walk away from a crash

But DJI know who you are and the police could easily contact them to get your details.

So probably best to put some sort of contact details on it, and maybe an offer of reward if returned.
2016-9-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-15 11:38
I personally have my FAA number and phone number on a label on all of my quads. However, I also have ...

"work with my insurance/attorney to determine the at fault party (either me or DJI) "

An interesting point, I thought the pilot would have to bear all responsibility, after all he chose where and when to fly.

If a quad landed on my head I wouldn't care if it were an 'ESC' failure or compass malfunction, but I would be keen to track down the pilot.
2016-9-15
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of my P3P's have the FAA registration number and my phone number on them. Unless you never wore gloves each time you handled your air craft you prints and DNA are all over them.
2016-9-15
Use props
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies

I had the labels already made - I'm sticking them on now. I reckon its the best thing to do all round. Cheers
2016-9-15
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-9-15 12:07
All of my P3P's have the FAA registration number and my phone number on them. Unless you never wore  ...

Unless you've been dribbling on your drone or left some other bodily fluid on it I doubt they can get any DNA from it. Finger prints quite possibly, but more probable is the SD card full of accidental selfies and test shots at home
2016-9-15
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-9-15 03:57
"work with my insurance/attorney to determine the at fault party (either me or DJI) "

An interest ...

The pilot does take responsibility for where he flies. However, if the machines has an actual "mechanical related flyaway (rare)", then that is when I would work with other parties to determine fault, compensation.
2016-9-15
Use props
HobbyMounts.uk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206539 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the UK you can get public liability insurance cover from someone like BMFA for about £30/year.  If you're flying within the CAA regs and you have insurance then you don't have much to worry about.

If you're flying over congested areas, housing estates, industrial estates and something goes wrong then it might come back to bite you.  Imagine the worst case scenario.
2016-9-15
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

ok don't know what country you're in but in the USA by law you must have your FAA number when you register your drone by law that will tie into your address if it causes damage or harm and someone reports it. Also Phantoms are definitely see realized and you're registering when you first set up we'll tie that to you if heaven forbid an accident happens and it causes damage or personal harm there's ways to find you. But the consequences might be happy if you don't voluntarily put the info on your drone and by the law again your FAA number must be on the craft. In my opinion it would be similar to hit and run if you didn't put your contact info and it crashed into someone's house or hurt someone I didn't put my phone number but I did put my FAA number
2016-9-15
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I just have my Phone number on mine. It is registered, just that I have my FAA numbers on a sheet of paper in my box. That way nobody can use my number on there drone in case I do loose it and its found. Ive even gotten one back by doing that. Anyhow. It does have a "double edged sword". Say the person that finds it and calls you and makes up a "Lie" that it done damage to there property when it really "did not". Just to get more money out of you and legal costs.. Lucky that the one I got back was in a tree for over 8 months and if that person sayed they "got hurt" from my drone, then I could say.. "Well then why didnt you call me over 8 months ago when I lost the drone?" If that person had damage done to there property, you know your going to get a phone call within the first few minutes of the crash. Not several months later.
2016-9-15
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

You are in the UK (the OP) which is where I am. No need for registration numbers, but I have printed labels (I have a couple of proper labelling machines) the text "REWARD IF RETURNED" and my name, e-mail and mobile number. I have a label on each battery plus on on top and one on the curved "front" of the aircraft. I used clear tape over the labels to protect them from moisture.
2016-9-15
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I crashed my drone into a hotel in Myrtle Beach last year.  Got a phone call within 3 minutes of the crash telling me where to get it.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-9-15 06:57

An interest ...

In the US the lawyer is going to go after the biggest fish if there's body harm involved, that won't be the pilot in most cases. If it's just a dent in the hood of my car, the pilot.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Numptee Nuts Posted at 2016-9-15 07:58
Thanks for the replies

I had the labels already made - I'm sticking them on now. I reckon its the b ...

FAA #, Name and cell number here.
2016-9-15
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-16 00:59
Plus isn't your FAA number on your drone, it should be.

American regulations don't extend to the UK. The CAA don't require registration or labelling.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2016-9-15 10:23
I just have my Phone number on mine. It is registered, just that I have my FAA numbers on a sheet of ...

First it's the LAW to put your FAA # on the drone itself, and have it on your person. Not just one or the other. Next, what is someone going to do with your FAA # that would harm you. I'm sorry but after reading your post you seem very pessimistic about people.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-15 20:11
American regulations don't extend to the UK. The CAA don't require registration or labelling.

Didn't catch you were in the UK at first. No, you don't want to give the FAA any more reach than they already have.
2016-9-15
Use props
rickb33952
lvl.2
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-9-15 18:38
I personally have my FAA number and phone number on a label on all of my quads. However, I also have ...

Excellent, responsible reply. It needs to be acknowledged that you are describing exactly how the rest of us should be replying.
R
2016-9-15
Use props
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HobbyMounts.uk Posted at 2016-9-15 14:12
In the UK you can get public liability insurance cover from someone like BMFA for about £30/year.   ...

Hi.

Ive already joined the BMFA for the insurance. Best to be insured when flying these things.
2016-9-15
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2016-9-15 10:23
I just have my Phone number on mine. It is registered, just that I have my FAA numbers on a sheet of ...

How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with my unique registration number?

If you complete registration using the web-based registration process and satisfy the registration requirements, you may use a permanent marker, label, or engraving, as long as the number remains affixed to the aircraft during routine handling and all operating conditions and is readily accessible and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may also be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible, such as a battery compartment.
2016-9-16
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Numptee Nuts Posted at 2016-9-16 08:49
Hi.

Ive already joined the BMFA for the insurance. Best to be insured when flying these things. : ...

I went with FPVUK for insurance. Cheaper for the basic recreational group cover and also there is an add-on for £15 for non-recreational but non-commercial exceptions allowing NQE flight training etc.
2016-9-16
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-15 16:16
First it's the LAW to put your FAA # on the drone itself, and have it on your person. Not just one or the other. Next, what is someone going to do with your FAA # that would harm you. I'm sorry but after reading your post you seem very pessimistic about people.

Nobody can be trusted these days..  Say I loose my drone, or someone walks up and starts a conversation while its sitting next to me, they see the number, they write it down, later they buy a drone, put my number on it, fly it. It crashes, the person that finds it, turns it in to proper people like cops, FAA, etc, they look at number, contact me, and assume I did the damage to other persons property.  Yea I may be paranoid, but my cell phone number is good enougth. Besides, there are allot of people out there that dont even put there phone number, much less register it. And if the proper person comes up to me and asks me why my FAA number is not on it, I will explain to them the reason why, and Im sure they will agree. This is a new tested regulation that im sure the people that made it up arent sure how well it will work, expecially when protecting one from "number theft".
2017-2-5
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2017-2-5 09:47
Nobody can be trusted these days..  Say I loose my drone, or someone walks up and starts a conversation while its sitting next to me, they see the number, they write it down, later they buy a drone, put my number on it, fly it. It crashes, the person that finds it, turns it in to proper people like cops, FAA, etc, they look at number, contact me, and assume I did the damage to other persons property.  Yea I may be paranoid, but my cell phone number is good enougth. Besides, there are allot of people out there that dont even put there phone number, much less register it. And if the proper person comes up to me and asks me why my FAA number is not on it, I will explain to them the reason why, and Im sure they will agree. This is a new tested regulation that im sure the people that made it up arent sure how well it will work, expecially when protecting one from "number theft".

That's statement is beyond being just paranoid, I'm sorry that's borderline delusional and at best just laughable. Is that really how you think? Someone may glance over at your drone in conversation, have the forethought of memorize a ten digit number and use it illegitimately, really? Do you not put your name on your mail box either, to protect yourself from someone impersonating you as the homeowner. And if someone of authority did ask way? And you tell them it's for self protection of the number itself, their not going to agree with that reasoning, believe me. If you own a car, it has a plate on it, right? What if someone that may not like you writes down that plate number, than calls the police and reports the same make and model car as driving erratically, or worse it was involved in that hit and run accident, and has your plate number as proof it was your car. See it's never ending to think that way, you'll never be at ease and be looking over your shoulder all the time.
2017-2-5
Use props
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

How about putting a label on your batteries too, if you want to get them back after a crash! Look at this eBay listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302205184689

Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Battery for Drone.

Lithium Ion Polymer Rechargeable Battery.

Unknown condition - someone crashed a drone into our house in the night, and this was later found in the garden. We do not have a drone to test it in, and do not have any contact details for the previous owner.

The lights on the side come on when the circular button is pressed (see image).

Return accepted if the item does not function when tested.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Place a label or sticker with Reward and your home or cell number, inside the battery compartment, where weather or moisture won't be a detrimental factor to the info.
Unless it goes swimming, or for a deep dive, then it won't matter much anyway...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
fans169e1b16
New

Canada

Hi, Yes mine also has my FAA licence number on it
2017-2-5
Use props
jbolf88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 897323 ft
United States

I have two stickers. One with FAA number and the other sticker has my phone number and Reward on it.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A local forum member @Rigworker, who I fly with on occasion, kindly used his label maker to print me a few stickers with Reward & my home phone number.
Another forum member in Florida who owns a 3D print lab, was decent enough to have ran me off an awesome red gimbal guard, with my phone number etched into the print. Awesome!!

Yes, having an ID on your drone, may help get it returned, should it go AWOL, on you...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

As has been stated already, I have my FAA number and cell phone on it....
2017-2-5
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-15 02:50
Good question, I've been tempted for a long time to put my mobile number on it, but as you say you may just want to walk away from a crash

But DJI know who you are and the police could easily contact them to get your details.

Could dji legally be forced to hand over customer info to the authorities? Would they hand over the information?
2017-2-6
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

helidan Posted at 2017-2-6 02:30
Could dji legally be forced to hand over customer info to the authorities? Would they hand over the information?

By court order, yes. Just some cop asking, I doubt it. At least here in the states.
2017-2-6
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2017-2-6 02:30

I'm sure the privacy policy says something about cooperating with law enforcement if asked. So I doubt it would take long.

Internal flight logs would probably give away more than enough info to track you down.
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules