Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote controller problems
12Next >
2577 44 2016-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

I was out flying yesterday, nice weather. When I was trying to land I notice that my drone was moving forward, even without any hands on the controller, weird! Then I realized that the right joystick was “hanging” –down in the remote controller, I had to pull it up to get it work as it should.

I thought that was weird, so last night I took it apart. Then I could see what was wrong, the plastic screw holders for the joystick’s was busted and nearly gone.

The thing is that when I bought it, over a year ago, I noticed that the right joystick was a little bit loose even then but I thought it should be like that, as for today I know better. The worst part is that I have a brand new one too, P3P. That one has been flying just once and is resting in the box. So I wonder if that one looks the same.

Funny part of this is that I have done nearly 200 flights without any bigger problems, and still have no cracks in the shell under the motors, that’s good. Looks like I got a bad controller instead. Bummer! So I bought poxi and started to glue it together again, not so funny.

Anyone else notice these problem ?

Backside

Backside

Glued cracks

Glued cracks

Glued cracks

Glued cracks
2016-9-16
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bookmarked This for future reference. Earlier this year I returned a P3 for a full refund (still within UK 12 month warranty), one of my joysticks had collapsed back into the case.
2016-9-16
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

Heavy finger pressure ??
2016-9-16
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

Hi! I had a problem like yours but mine most severe...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 98&page=1#pid494590
2016-9-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

The Controller plastic is very brittle.  Have seen this on the A, B, and C models...  Screw mounts seem especially prone..  :-(  May be by design to see if people have opened up the case, but it is brittle..
2016-9-16
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-9-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-16 21:52
And I thought I bought a quality product.  I should have bought a $80 drone instead. I'm getting  ...

I think there's a bit of "duality" here.  These are obviously meant for outside "in the field" use, but at the same time, they are highly crafted electronic components. There's a natural tendency sometimes to treat "outside" things rougher than "inside" things.  We wouldn't just lay our home theater components on the ground, or take them for rides in the back of the car, etc. :-)  Yet we do that (and more) with the Phantoms..

I'm not saying DJI shouldn't pay closer attention to stronger plastics, but "stronger" plastics also add weight to the aircraft, and the controller is heavy enough as it is now..  So, just sayin' the aircraft and RC need to be treated with care when in use, when packing/unpacking, etc.  I've been around a few users that I've seen toss their controllers on the ground, land on hard pack a lot rougher than they should, power up when the gimbal isn't clear, etc..  I mean there's a lot of sensitive electronics packed in a really small space..

Again, I think there are design things DJI could improve on, but I don't think all things considered you're going to find as much packed into the aircraft, RC, app, etc. as you get with one of the Phantoms.  Sure you can build you own for probably less, fly like the wind, do flips, etc. but that's not what these are designed for..
2016-9-16
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-16
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How much extra would it cost to produce a case with threaded brass bushes and engineering screws ? I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality, but it is disappointing to have these things fail with little wear and tear.
2016-9-16
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-16
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Everyone has the answers....
To change just one thing on the moldings for the remote would cost $1000s .
A moulding for a remote control could cost $30-$40,000.
To change one part could cost a fortune,as it would almost be a new mould.
People dont realise this.
Im not on Djis side, but just putting it out there how it is.
2016-9-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-16 23:30
Thanks for your response. But it doesn't help the customer if the have a lot fine electronic packe ...

I didn't say that they weren't for outside use.. The point I was trying to make is that they're not made for outside "abuse" as in some of the examples I cited, and I don't think I said that there wasn't room for improvement.. what I was saying though is that I treat mine with the recognition that there is a lot of expensive electronics in there... and knowing that, I don't abuse things (and also not saying the OP was abusing)...
2016-9-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-16 23:30
Thanks for your response. But it doesn't help the customer if the have a lot fine electronic packe ...

And not for anything, but am I the only who is scratching his head wondering who these people are and why  are they allowed to have guns?  (not a second amendment comment).  :-(  Sure.. why not destroy 5 drones just for the heck of it?  (smh)
2016-9-16
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

Canada

2016-9-17
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

Canada

2016-9-17
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-16 13:29
Heavy finger pressure ??

Actually, no. I have always been very gentle with joysticks but as I recall it, this one was a little bit loos when it was brand new.
2016-9-21
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Makes me wonder, is it really worth the money to buy a PH4, if the plastic is really that bad and like this on PH3, I have been thinking about a new one but since I already have two PH3P and one of them is only unpacked and used once.

Now, after this “crappy” shell incedent, I really don’t know. I think I better wait for a update on PH4.

Bummer
2016-9-22
Use props
bdmelliott
lvl.1
Isle of Man

Anybody got a fix for this?
My iphone/Mini ipad holder wobbles badly on it's extended mounting. There is a screw at the back which is supposed (?) to hold the ipad down firmly but this doesn't seem to go far enough/or hold down the ipad to the controller.
Can I fix this somehow?

Brian

2016-9-23
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-23
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-23 18:25
People replacing the original with aluminum parts for the tablet/phone holder. You can google this ...

Yes, I know but that’s not the only problem. The holder for phone / tablet has metal within the plastic, not so well. When you swap the plastic holder for a metal holder, then you think your good to go and the problem I salved. Sorry to say but that’s not the fact.

That way put’s even more stress on the plastic around the holes where it’s attached, take it apart and have look, you will be surprised.
2016-9-26
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-26
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-27 08:04
Only reading the complaints here about the cheap plastic DJI uses actually on everything they are  ...

Makes me wonder even moore, how PH4's plastic are? . ..
2016-9-26
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-16 03:29
Heavy finger pressure ??

Not really, actually
2019-6-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

Plastic items ... no matter what you pay - its universal problem. I have expensive items .. cheap items ... they all suffer mounting post faults eventually.

Sadly - some more quickly than others regardless of brand or cost.
2019-6-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That’s crazy. Glad my Spektrum rc’s don’t break down this easily.

RedHotPoker
2019-6-7
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Norway

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-7 15:49

Yeh, was no fun when I took it apart either. I have another one too, never been used (spare), for now I’m using the old (glued) one, as long as it works. My first drone is busted, can’t calibrate IMU on it, so that one is going to be spare parts for the other one, bummer.

Well, the first one is from 2015, a few years back…
2019-6-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dioden Posted at 6-11 09:27
Yeh, was no fun when I took it apart either. I have another one too, never been used (spare), for now I’m using the old (glued) one, as long as it works. My first drone is busted, can’t calibrate IMU on it, so that one is going to be spare parts for the other one, bummer.

Well, the first one is from 2015, a few years back…

You might have sent DJI that busted rc, for a refurbished one... haha

RedHotPoker
2019-6-11
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A tip for reinserting 'self tappers ' into old threads.
'Drop' the screw into the hole so that its 'nose' is actually in the hole. Apply the scewdriver to the screw head but , with NO or VERY-LITTLE pressure on the screw driver, turn the screw driver as if to unscrew the screw.
If you pay attention to what you feel you are likely to feel the screw 'drop' into the old thread, at that point start to screw the screw in but take note of how much force you require to turn the screwdriver. If it is 'hard to turn', I am afraid you'll have to judge that for yourself, you may have caught an old old thread. I have found that 'new' old threads tend to require less torque. If you judge that you have caught an old old thread then slowly unscrew the screw and see if you can feel it drop into another thread.
This stems from my days of replacing bulbs behind plastic indicator lenses etc., it saved the screw holes getting chewed up with multple threads.
2019-6-11
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Norway

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-11 11:21
You might have sent DJI that busted rc, for a refurbished one... haha

Sorry to say, but no. I bought two Phantom 3 Pro, not at the same time but nearly..
2019-6-13
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Norway

Sean-newbie Posted at 6-11 14:12
A tip for reinserting 'self tappers ' into old threads.
'Drop' the screw into the hole so that its 'nose' is actually in the hole. Apply the scewdriver to the screw head but , with NO or VERY-LITTLE pressure on the screw driver, turn the screw driver as if to unscrew the screw.
If you pay attention to what you feel you are likely to feel the screw 'drop' into the old thread, at that point start to screw the screw in but take note of how much force you require to turn the screwdriver. If it is 'hard to turn', I am afraid you'll have to judge that for yourself, you may have caught an old old thread. I have found that 'new' old threads tend to require less torque. If you judge that you have caught an old old thread then slowly unscrew the screw and see if you can feel it drop into another thread.

Well, not so easy, when hole is gone, lol
2019-6-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dioden Posted at 6-13 06:03
Sorry to say, but no. I bought two Phantom 3 Pro, not at the same time but nearly..

Ah I see, ok. It was just a thought.

RedHotPoker
2019-6-13
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

This would be one heck of a project for a 3D printer enthusiast
2019-6-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-7 15:49

RHP - do not take this personally - it is NOT an attack on you.

The Spektrum RC Tx - particularly the 6 has an inherent problem that Spektrum refused to correct. They relied on such as Horizon Hobby to carry the burden of repairs.

The Roller Menu control was mounted weakly and many people if a bit 'excited' literally pressed it into the case breaking its mount.

A couple of 3rd party biz's came up with replacement mount / rollers in alloy that fixed it permanently. Spektrum refused to accept the mod. Spektrum carried on with their plastic OEM and to this day still carry replacements for HH and dealers to fit.

I believe that later models in the extended higher channel ranges may have a modified roller.
2019-6-14
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Phantom One Posted at 6-13 16:40
This would be one heck of a project for a 3D printer enthusiast

You can buy stand alone posts in nylon .. brass ... alloy etc. various heights

Drill small hole in case .. mount the replacement post ...

A lot of Multi Rotor Flight control boards etc. are mounted this way ...
2019-6-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 6-14 01:38
RHP - do not take this personally - it is NOT an attack on you.

The Spektrum RC Tx - particularly the 6 has an inherent problem that Spektrum refused to correct. They relied on such as Horizon Hobby to carry the burden of repairs.

Yes, all companies have faults and failures. Thankful my radios have all held up, and never given me any problems. That goes for my DJI RC as well. Still as solid as day one, with no noticeable differences or weaknesses. Even the white plastic has retained its pristine clean plastic white, no yellowing or stains, are visible.

It must be luck of the draw, & or too heavy handed use that promoted early pvc decay...

RedHotPoker
2019-6-14
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-14 12:53
Yes, all companies have faults and failures. Thankful my radios have all held up, and never given me any problems. That goes for my DJI RC as well. Still as solid as day one, with no noticeable differences or weaknesses. Even the white plastic has retained its pristine clean plastic white, no yellowing or stains, are visible.

It must be luck of the draw, & or too heavy handed use that promoted early pvc decay...

What many people found strange was Spektrums refusal to accept they had a problem and dumping it on the retail side of HH business instead of fixing at source.

Same can be said of DX2 ... while everyone else was using 16 or more slots in their hops .. Spektrum kept using 2 till it was obvious they had to join the game and introduced DXM
Obviously I am not a Sopekie user !! I'm a FrSky devotee.
2019-6-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I am glad I got into rc right at a time when many great things were beginning to happen.

We’ve come a long way, from cabled planes and cars, to flying several miles away, unencumbered.

RedHotPoker
2019-6-15
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The video of the RC car ...

I used to race indoor electric cars and got to know an ex RC Glow powered Car UK Champ ... only when he started talking about a challenge he had accepted did I underestand just how fast they were. (This is the late 1980's).

He was in the Pub and chatting about races .. guy overheard and starting making remarks about toys and boys .. so P let him know that the RC Cars he raced were faster in acceleration and even top speed to literally anything guy could drive. AND that he could prove it.

That's what happened ... guy in his sports car against the RC Glow Race car on a track. RC Car was home and finished way before the sports car got half way. Loser paid the track fee !

The RC Car was one of the PB Racing classics of the time.
2019-6-16
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-13 07:13
Ah I see, ok. It was just a thought.

I can fix it myself if needed but my PH3P is getting old, I have been looking at Mavic2 Pro, might be the next one, after the summer, perhaps....
2019-6-25
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

solentlife Posted at 6-16 05:31
The video of the RC car ...

I used to race indoor electric cars and got to know an ex RC Glow powered Car UK Champ ... only when he started talking about a challenge he had accepted did I underestand just how fast they were. (This is the late 1980's).

Haha, well there you go. They ARE really fast, I know. LOL
2019-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules