Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wide Angle Options for the OSMO PRO
4702 4 2016-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
curtb6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 478865 ft
United States

I figured I would start a new thread on this topic.  To me, wide angle field of view is the biggest pitfall of the Osmo PRO X5.  However, I love the size and convenience of the device over the Ronin so I hope to see a good wide angle solution for the X5 at some point in the near future.
Here's what I've learned using the OSMO.

On both the X3, X5, and really any MFT camera, 1080p will give you a slightly wider FOV than 4k, all other factors equal...  Just something to keep in mind.

The standard X3 camera gives you a wider FOV (at 20mm equivalent) than any lens compatible with the X5.  The downside, its terrible indoors, low light, ect, and becomes very noisy/grainy...

Currently, the widest lens option for the X5 is the Olympus 12mm f/2.0.  This lens is a 24mm equivalent FOV.  It looks good, can be used indoors, but it's just not wide enough!

I've seen people ask on the forums if the Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 Fisheye will work on the X5 Camera...  I've tried it first hand, and the answer is, sort of.  It fits on the camera, and balances out quite nicely.  It is well stabilized and everything seems to work okay at first.  The focus and aperature are manual, but once you try to adjust your ISO by clicking on the settings menu in the app, the app crashes every time.  Also, when you fire up the gimbal, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to where the ISO is set automatically.  So I had thought that I could just point the camera into a bright or dark space to get the auto settings to change, then lock down the settings to my liking...  But the ISO doesn't change, its the shutter that changes...  As a side note, I have not tried the Samyang or Bower version of this lens... So I can only really report on the Rokinon.  Also I'm using the iPhone 6s...  Additionally, the process of "defishing" the look of fisheye footage takes way too long.

Where do we go from here?

It looks like Venus Optics has announced a new lens to be released in the near future, the LAOWA 7.5mm f2 prime, rectilinear MFT lens.  It appears to be small enough to fit and balance on the X5 camera.  It's really tough to say because they don't report size or weight so I am only speculating.  However, considering my experience with the Rokinon lens on the X5, it would be a real shame if this lens fit and balanced but didn't play nicely with the DJI app...  Being able to use this kind of lens on the X5 camera with my OSMO would really significally increase the value of my OSMO Pro setup in my arsenal and allow me to really have all my bases covered.  

http://www.43rumors.com/venus-optica-announces-worlds-widest-f2-lens-micro-four-thirds-camera/

DJI, if you listening, you've gotta work the bugs out of the app and figure out a way to make these other prime lenses play nicely with the app.  Ultra wide angle is a significany pitfall of the Osmo Pro.

2016-9-16
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree with you but currently my setup is to use my canon 5dmkiii with a 24-70mm lens & a 70-300mm L lens for the extra wide or extra tight shots. For gimballed moving shots I use the 12mm the 15mm & the 45mm I have to say on the X5 osmo the main lens is the 45mm. On the drone I use the 12mm. But it would be nice to have a wider lens.
2016-9-16
Use props
curtb6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 478865 ft
United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-9-16 15:13
I agree with you but currently my setup is to use my canon 5dmkiii with a 24-70mm lens & a 70-300mm  ...

I really do like the 45mm on the Osmo... and I also like the Olympus 25mm.

I have to say though, Canon 24-70 on the 5DIII isn't all that wide... It's pretty comparable to the 12mm Olympus on the Osmo.  The Canon 16-35 is a good wide angle option on the 5DIII.  I've used it a few times and it's really nice!  Of course, now Canon has that new 11-24mm, but wow is it expensive!

Right now for wide angle I mostly shoot using the GH4 and the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8.

But I gotta say... If I had something that was about 16mm equivalent fov that I could put on the X5, like that LAOWA 7.5mm rectilinear, I'd probably stop shooting with the GH4 all together!
2016-9-16
Use props
plamarque
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11827 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I agree, especially when you shoot at 30 fps, the FOV is much narrower than the lens original FOV (at least on my 12mm). You have to shoot at 60 fps to get the 82d back. An 8mm prime would be great for inside real estate. Seen a guy who managed to mount the 9-18 olympus on the Osmo with success but I'd rather go 7 14. Time will tell if we finally get a true rectilinear wide angle prime for our Inspire/Osmo.
2016-9-21
Use props
JeremyDeihlPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9475 ft

I have to agree this is my #1 issue as well. It is a lot of hassle to set up my big gimbals and level out the cameras and all that jazz. Prob a 10-15 min process all on its own, which is the main reason I was hoping to switch over full time to using the Osmo for all my real estate interior video work just for ease of use/convince of the product. The big problem is that it is not even close to wide enough. I currently have the x3 which clearly state on the lens that it is 4-14mm, yet the widest I can get it to go on the app is 22mm(I'm sure it has something to do with the conversion process, though I am not exactly sure). I have even gone as far to look up wide angle screw on filter and lens conversions, but none really seem like logical options. My next idea was to step up to the x5 but it seems people are having the exact same problem with that set up as well so I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
2018-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules