P4, can you turn off Sonar(Obstacle detection) in flight?
1471 8 2016-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris G
lvl.1

Canada

So we realize the Obstacle Detection uses sonar, plus, But can it be turned off from the app/remote? for the Phantom 4?
2016-9-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes and you'll pick up a speed increase from 10 metres/sec to 16 m/s by doing it.
2016-9-16
Use props
Chris G
lvl.1

Canada

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-16 20:32
Yes and you'll pick up a speed increase from 10 metres/sec to 16 m/s by doing it.

Thx LabRoides, good to know.
There have been reports of the sound pissing off birds, so they tend to attack. Can't confirm if it true, but if you can turn it off, in flight, then maybe the bird leaves you alone?
I'm more inclined to go with the theory that your UAV is too close to their territory, so it's time for some discipline, Eagle style
2016-9-16
Use props
JustinH
lvl.2
United States

Chris G Posted at 2016-9-16 22:12
There have been reports of the sound pissing off birds, so they tend  ...

You can turn off Obstacle Avoidance but you cannot turn off VPS.
2016-9-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Chris G Posted at 2016-9-17 14:12
There have been reports of the sound pissing off birds, so they tend  ...

You are confusing the sonar height detection with the vision based obstacle avoidance. The two devices on the front legs are cameras, that form part of the obstacle avoidance system. There are also two cameras underneath and two sonar transducers. While the forward facing vision based obstacle avoidance can be switched off, the downward facing sonar system cannot be switched off.

There is some evidence that the sonar can irritate bees and other insects, but birds are not really affected by it. Birds tend to attack the aircraft because it is seen as a threat to there territory, particularly in the nesting season. Raptors, such as hawks, eagles and such tend to attack quite fearlessly.

2016-9-16
Use props
Chris G
lvl.1

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-16 23:28
You are confusing the sonar height detection with the vision based obstacle avoidance. The two devi ...

Got it, I recalled viewing the add-on sensor array that included camera and sonar on all 4 sides, Cannot seem to locate that DJI accessory any more, but that answers my question.
You Can turn off the Obstacle detection Camera array/feature, but Cannot turn off the Ground sensing Sonar.

When in Sport mode, Phantom 4 or?, does the Ground sensor act differently?
Sorry for the newb questions, but I haven't played with a Phantom much at all, mostly Inspire and 250m racer/crashers
2016-9-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

You will also find that once you turn off O.A. your P4 speed in P mode will double.  I used to get only about 16 MPH at full throttle, and I am now getting 32-34 MPH. It flies similar to the S mode, so you  will need to adjust the settings to make it less responsive when you start moving the sticks.
But if you do not want props in the video, then keep it below 25 MPH, especially if it is fighting wind.
2016-9-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Chris G Posted at 2016-9-18 03:21
Got it, I recalled viewing the add-on sensor array that included camera and sonar on all 4 sides, C ...

Sorry, don't know the answer to that question.
2016-9-17
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris G Posted at 2016-9-17 07:21
Got it, I recalled viewing the add-on sensor array that included camera and sonar on all 4 sides, C ...

Aloha Chris,

The surround sensor system is called GUIDANCE and is for Matrice systems.  It is under the Developers Heading.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules