"Not even started"Newbie
766 5 2016-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mickyo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello Everybody. My name is Michael and I live in the UK. I have been looking at buying a drone for a while now and as I dabble in photography wanted a machine that I could use in my hobbie. After reading info and watching numerous videos have decided on the phantom 4. So my question is this:- How often do you fly during the winter period. The reason I am asking is that if it is not advisable to fly during this time should I wait until next year when the spring arrives. I cant see the point in buying something that wiil sit in a box for 4/5 month  it would drive me nuts! Also with the possibility of a Phantom 4+ or even a 5 in the pipeline. Everybody's thought would be greatly appreciated and would certainly help in my decision as to when to buy

Thanks

Michael
2016-9-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've not done a winter yet with the P4, but as long as it's dry you can fly

Don't fly if too cold (below 0, unless batteries warmed up), let hover and warm up for a minute. So although it might be a bit of an off season, the Phantom is primarily a photographic platform. Think of all those wonderful winter scenes you'll be able to capture.
2016-9-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is a new machine being unveiled on 27th this month,from rumors it looks very interesting...
2016-9-19
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

DJI Recommends flying in temps between 0C and 40C..    They state the battery will not last as long in the cold so fight times will be shorter.

I haven't flown my P4 in cold weather yet.   I just got it last April.  But it gets really cold here in the winter.  Sometimes as low as -40C  (And that's the air temperature not the wind chill).   I won't be flying it when it's that cold, but I do plan to fly it in temperatures as low as -10C.   I had a hexacopter that flew OK in those temps.

2016-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Michael, If you want to fly in cold environments, hope the manual will help you.
Low temperature notice.png
2016-9-19
Use props
Mickyo
lvl.2

Thanks  Aardvark, hallmark007, jwt873 and DJI Mindy for your replies It's not so much the low temperatures but the wind and rain and the daylight hours here. The Phantom 4 is as you know £1300 + for the drone and extra batteries and the thought of it sitting in a box waiting for a break in the weather would be torture{:4_142:}. I would be so tempted to take it out even if the weather wasn't favourable. + there is always the possibility of an upgrade..........yes. Roll on next spring
2016-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules