Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Follow Me "weak GPS"
2447 10 2016-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I've been trying to get the follow-me mode working with my Inspire 1 v2.0. It refused to activate, instead displayiing a "weak GPS" error.

On a hunch, I swapped my usual tablet (iPad Pro, with no location services) with my Android phone - which has GPS. And Follow Me worked.

Why does the Follow-Me mode require an external GPS signal, when the Inspire remote controller has a built-in GPS receiver? This makes no sense whatsoever! I know the controller's GPS receiver works, because the blue dot in the DJI-Go app, representing the controller, is always correctly located.

2016-9-18
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

it would seem your remote controller GPS signal is to weak to engage the follow-me feature. I have not been able to use my controller GPS with this feature lately either. The GPS in the iPhone is better than the DJI remote.

Rich
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, the FM feature require a cellular data mobile device. If the signal is good enough ,FM feature will work properly.
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hi, the FM feature use the mobile device GPS,so you should to focus on your phone\pad GPS  signal.
2016-9-28
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

The issue they found once it shipped is that some tablets when mounted on the holder effectively shield the RC's GPS module, leading to accuracy errors. Not a great outcome if you are after FM type functions.

It ain't a perfect solution and certainly not what they promised - but we have seen this sort of thing before with the Inspire.
2016-9-29
Use props
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-19 02:27
Hi, the FM feature require a cellular data mobile device. If the signal is good enough ,FM feature w ...

That makes no sense. The controller has a GPS receiver. There is no need for it to require an external location service. Please file this as a bug report.
2016-10-1
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

jhyslop@dreampo Posted at 2016-10-1 23:57
That makes no sense. The controller has a GPS receiver. There is no need for it to require an exte ...

Yes it does, but the bottom line is that it doesn't work properly and certainly not reliably enough to trust your aircraft to it.

It's not a bug, it is a design failure.
2016-10-1
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hi jhyslop,
   I ran into the same issue.  Follow Me only uses the GPS on the attached device.  I have an Ipad Mini 4, and it is the non cellular model.  Because it's the non cellular model, it doesn't contain a GPS.  Although the controller does have GPS capability (we're lead to believe that even though it's not listed in the specs), it is not strong enough to allow Follow Me to work.  

It seems as though the Inspire was built to primarily rely on the aircrafts GPS and piggy back on the GPS of the external device for everything else.  If you look at the way it communicates, the external device is the brains of the outfit, while the remote itself is just the controller interface.   
2016-10-1
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GabeZ Posted at 2016-10-2 00:32
Hi jhyslop,
   I ran into the same issue.  Follow Me only uses the GPS on the attached device.  I ha ...

There is two reasons the follow mode via RC GPS is not working well.
1. The antenna for the GPS is in the front of the RC, so unless you tilt the RC up toward the sky the reception is weak.
2. It only has Navstar system that is kind of weak, and not the Russian "GLONASS" system. Most phones/tablets use booth systems today.
2016-10-2
Use props
jarud
lvl.2
Flight distance : 599439 ft
Norway

I also have the same problem using the latest of FW, using a Shield tablet, Note 4 and Iphone 5.
Not sure which version it stop working, did using the same devices 5-6 month ago and it works then!

2016-10-4
Use props
Makzimia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80003 ft

United Kingdom

Hi guys.. so, I have a new iPhone X, and where I am has full bars on 4G, but, I get interference from something... I am wondering. So, the weak gps error. Before I disabled wifi on my phone for using the Mavic Pro, (not flying wifi for mavic pro) and it stopped having issues. Should I do that for the Inspire 1 too?.

Thanks,
'
Tony
2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules