12Next >
3852 69 2016-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,
Managed to return my nexus 7 that kept rebooting, so looking for a replacement.
I believe the nvidia shield K1 is supposed to be great, even though not on DJI's list.
Have however read some reports of the gps not being great, i really want something that will run the follow me function well.
Flying a P3S.
Can any owners advise their experiences of it please?
Thank you.
2016-9-19
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Also seem to remember reading about compass issue, as it has magnets inside??
2016-9-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kwaka Pants Posted at 2016-9-19 14:47
Also seem to remember reading about compass issue, as it has magnets inside??

Shouldn't really affect the compass on the aircraft as the RC is sat a few steps away while calibrating (at least as a precautionary measure).

Every device with a vibrate alert or loudspeaker will have 'maginets' inside.
2016-9-19
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never had any problems with my NVIDIA SHIELD and SHIELD K1 in over a 1.5years time.

Yes there are magnets in the tablet, but that will only affect your phantom if you have your tablet near your actual quadcopter when calibrating (which you shouldn't ever be that close) or operating your quadcopter (again you never be in this situation).

To paraphrase:  your tablet should stay on your RC and your RC shouldn't be anywhere near your quadcopter when calibrating or operating.
2016-9-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-9-19 10:18
I've never had any problems with my NVIDIA SHIELD K1 in over a 1.5years time.

Yes there are magnets ...

I have an older Nivdia Shield and I haven't had any problems either. Using it for almost a year now. I have a friend who also has an new one and has had very good results.
2016-9-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-9-20 00:18

The magnets/compass issue is that the compass in the Shield used to be dodgy because of the 5 magnets in the back cover of the shield.
It obviously has no effect on the Phantom.
Most users now  say that updates have fixed the compass issue.
The Shield is a bulletproof performer and there's never been any issue with its GPS.
2016-9-19
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-19 10:31
The magnets/compass issue is that the compass in the Shield used to be dodgy because of the 5 magne ...

I've used an Asus Zen pad, a Lenovo 10" screen tablet & finally the Nividia K-1, the K-1 is rock solid, always connects first time, Long distance flights, no issues,has never lost image or crashed on me after 2 months of flying.
The K-1 is my "go to" tablet & is 100% trouble free, touch wood!
2016-9-19
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-9-19 10:18

+1

no issues with my K1 in 10 months since I bought, Reset compass twice when it "asked" for calibration in 360 compass app.

just updated GO app today and recent k1 update a few days ago.
about an hour ago fired th pro up and all is fine.
compass was perfect in matching my movement and drones etc.
GO also was fine, no issues.

Since I got this setup in December I really don't do much other than toss it in back seat with props on in box and keep a fresh battery at all times.
I grab and fly each time without calibration's or issues with the pro or shield
they just work together well , hundreds of flights so far so good.

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-9-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I use k1 and am happy, cannot find them anymore, if i did i'd buy one for my son to replace his crappy ipad mini.... but even used are pricey now!
I do think it's a good tablet, and am not sure if there's anything else as good around $200 range....
2016-9-19
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

That's great info guys, and much appreciated for you all taking the time to reply. I ordered one today, so looking forward to it arriving now.
I never calibrate the bird near the tablet, I was more talking about the magnets I'd heard of inside it affecting it's own internal compass, but believe this issue is sorted now.
Just need to get some sort of decent tablet holder for the P3S now and all good!
2016-9-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

If u do not mind, where did u order and how much?
2016-9-19
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

Amazon uk, £169.99. Also available from nvidia's uk website for the same price.
2016-9-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Thx mate! The last few times I checked they were gone, so I stopped looking!~ They are back! Way to go! Good by iPads!
Hope it will serve you well too! I have found that the default holder on my Advanced does not hold it right wityh the skin, so I either remove it from the case for flying, or if i fly in the sun, I use a shade I made out of black hard foam board, with velcro, so it's all attached pretty well to the holder on my radio. Not sure how this all works with the standard, but I think you will still be happy.
2016-9-19
Use props
Larsaunitz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384406 ft
Sweden

I got a Nvidia Shield K1 but mine seems to have trubble getting IP adress from RC, I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I tend to see the same result when I connect the tablet to my phone as well. That leads me to belive that there is something fishy with my Shield. A reboot makes it better but not good.
Also Have a Ipad Air, compaired to that one the Ipad works better for me at least.
2016-9-20
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Larsaunitz Posted at 2016-9-20 09:24
I got a Nvidia Shield K1 but mine seems to have trubble getting IP adress from RC, I have a Phantom  ...

it is trying to get a good internet connection and the phantom has no internet to connect to
so it trys to find another AP.

should be able to find setting in wifi for that to stop.

the p3a, p3p and p4 do not use the wifi so I cant simulate and tell you exactly what to do.

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-9-20
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Good info Captain Kirk lol, cheers.
2016-9-20
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Larsaunitz Posted at 2016-9-20 09:24
I got a Nvidia Shield K1 but mine seems to have trubble getting IP adress from RC, I have a Phantom  ...

if you are flying near home try shutting your home router off

that way if the phone/tablet wont be tempted to rebind to the home router vs the one in the RC

that is what I used to do with my p2vision plus which works the same way as p3s and helps keep interference lower
2016-9-20
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

I've used a few devices now s5 s6 edge and bought iPad Pro 9.7 for use with the phantom, a week after I had what looked like a scratch on mat screen protector Apple wanted £399 for a refurbished pro!, overall iPad performance beats the samsungs, but I have just ordered a nvidia shield k1 I can then use it for gaming but imo I do prefer the android and no bloatware, iPad Pro very disappointed in quality so easily broken unknowingly, shield looks more robust and if performs well it will be my main flying tablet
2016-9-20
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

Just for laughs I tried my samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 tonight. Lag city! Won't be using that again, but then that's about what I expected.
2016-9-20
Use props
Larsaunitz
lvl.2
Sweden

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-9-20 17:20
it is trying to get a good internet connection and the phantom has no internet to connect to
so i ...

Na, it has nothing to do with getting internet connection. It wont receive the IP adress from the RC, have the same problem when connecting it to my phone. It can take up to 2-4 minuets before it actually gets the IP. I think there might be some general fault with just my tablet.
2016-9-21
Use props
rallred48
lvl.2
United States

Just got my Nvida K1 Shield Yesterday. Man you guys were not kidding what a difference the video feed is fabuloso.
LOLOL never lost video signal once even at right at 1 mile range Got mine from Newegg for 199.00
Getting rid of my nexus 7 had to many problems with it.!!

Ron
2016-9-21
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

Mines here on Friday from Amazon at £169 hope it's as good as people has said and throw ipad pro in bin!! Or chuck it to the kids
2016-9-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Larsaunitz Posted at 2016-9-21 08:28
Na, it has nothing to do with getting internet connection. It wont receive the IP adress from the  ...

can you use it to connect to regular router with internet without the delay?

2016-9-21
Use props
Larsaunitz
lvl.2
Sweden

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-9-21 19:08
can you use it to connect to regular router with internet without the delay?

It works better but it tends to freeze up sometimes. Also restart makes it work a little better so I am thinking off hardware problem with mine, Upgrading to 1.4 didn't make it better. The problem is, that it works to good to be returned to store I think. Would they test it they would just say it works great. And it does work okey at home, allthoug at home it doest matteri if it disconnects for a second or so. But when I fly with my Phantom 3S it needs to be rock stable and it isnt.
2016-9-21
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Larsaunitz Posted at 2016-9-22 02:02
It works better but it tends to freeze up sometimes. Also restart makes it work a little better so ...

if it doesn't do what you need the way you need it to, return it for another maybe.
anything can have a bad one now and then for sure.

good luck and have fun flying.
2016-9-22
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-9-22 10:16
if it doesn't do what you need the way you need it to, return it for another maybe.
anything can h ...

I;ve been reading over at phantom pilots about the Nividia compass being all out of wack & I guess the guy having the issues has finally got the compass to work, but has to recalibrate compass (in the shield) everytime he goes to fly. They also say, compass in the shield doesn't affect you unless you fly long distance & then, the little phantom icon on the screen that shows which way your bird is facing, is not accurate & cannot be counted on to get you home. Now, I don't do much long disatacne flying, maybe 2 km;s is as far as I dare to go, but, I;ve used the phantom icon many, many times when I loose orientation of my bird & when I point her at my home location, She always shows up, So, I really don't understand this compass issue, unless there is more to this issue than I understand or the user just has a bad Shield?
2016-9-22
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

r.powell@rogers Posted at 2016-9-22 13:00
I;ve been reading over at phantom pilots about the Nividia compass being all out of wack & I guess ...

I have not seen that post and I read that all the time,

the compass is not an issue  please read how many posts the past 2 weeks saying it is fine.
a guy that had an  major system update had to redo his calibration. not an issue

many post are simply ASKING about the rumor thus spreading it on and on without cause.
2016-9-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Is there a 1' USB/micro cable which will connect the RC and the Shield?  Link please?
2016-9-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I found a cable in my old cables drawer and it works! It's is probably from some older phone or camera.

But how do I access my dji logs, camera files? There is no windows disk, and the nvidia site only contains the USB driver.  But my WIN 7 PC recognized it as soon as I connected it using the usb cable.
2016-9-23
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Sorry Guys but I am not impressed!  

First off they have horrible support.  The support guy could not help me how to access  my apps and my pictures using my WIN 7 PRO PC! He kept telling me to reboot.  He then finally said he has to talk to his back team and get back to me next week! So I then downloaded the developers programs, and that can not connect as well.

Then I experienced lagged video.  There is a 2 second delay, while my iphone 6p has no delay.

The Shield experienced interference, while my iphone 6p did not.

The anti glare is no better than my iphone 6p.

Above all, the Shield GPS is not as accurate as the iphone 6p.  It kept moving whie I was sitting.
One thing I like to see is very stable GPS.

Also, I just noticed that when I connect it to the RC, it is charging from the RC.  The RC should not be charging the device.

Not sure what to do?

2016-9-23
Use props
RSV_Ecosse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133520 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting. I'm still undecided between picking up a brand new Shield K1 or throwing @£250 at either a used iPad Air or cheap Air 2. The Shield K1 at £169 new looks like a no brainer but I keep hearing conflicting reports on their performance.
2016-9-23
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

well i was hoping mine would arrive today but sadly not, so will have to wait until next week to see if it's good or bad. Just want stability and decent gps, then I'll be looking at an rc upgrade.
2016-9-23
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I did my first test flight today; it was a sunny day by the sea shore.

Issue No 1: I could not see the screen at all, with my sunglasses on.  But I can see my iphone 6p screen. Both are set to maximum Brightness.
Most of my flights are by the sea shore, so this is a major issue for me. I can only see the screen if I take off my glasses, but still, it is very faint.

Issue No 2: I was getting very colorful pixelation bands; each band was about 0.5 - 1 inch wide all across the screen.  This pixelation was worse when the P4 was close to me.  My iphone6p had no pixelation.

I am going to make a sun screen, but honestly, I think this device is for indoor gaming, not for controlling a drone outside. As much as I love NVIDIA video cards, this device must be great for gamers, not drone flyers.
Here are some pics:

As you can see, the screen is like a mirror, everything reflects in it; look at my iphone taking the pic.

BTW: I had placed my iphone away when I was flying.  I did not even keep it in my pocket.

Pixelation1

Pixelation1

Pixelation2

Pixelation2
2016-9-24
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I think mine is going back.  It lags and constant screen pixelation today.  My iphone 6 p had no such issues; same time, same place. I thought this would have been my go device.  I used it with a P4.

I am curious; any happy stories of no lag and no pixelation from others who use it with a P4? or do most use it as a secondary hdmi input device?I was hoping for a simple single device setup; I would hate having 2 devices.  The more devices, the more chances of failures.

2016-9-25
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
Netherlands

Got my Shield K1 a couple of days ago and have already logged 5 flights with it. Love it! Have ZERO issues with it! Soo happy I went for this instead of the Ipad Mini 4 at twice the price! This thing is lightening fast, really responsive, and zero lag in DJI app.
2016-9-25
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
Netherlands

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-25 22:28
I think mine is going back.  It lags and constant screen pixelation today.  My iphone 6 p had no suc ...

Are you putting it in Aeroplane mode?
2016-9-25
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-9-25 17:52
Are you putting it in Aeroplane mode?

No.

Is that a critical setting?

Any other settings I should know of?
I think the iphone Hadware Decoding helps reduce lag and pixelation; is there such a Hardware Decoding option on the Android?
2016-9-25
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-9-26 05:52
Got my Shield K1 a couple of days ago and have already logged 5 flights with it. Love it! Have ZERO  ...

Good to hear, looking forward to mine arriving very soon!
2016-9-25
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am deep into android now...  I found Force GPU Rendering option. I am turning it on.

I did not need to dive into android too!  This is  my first android device.  I guess I have to hack on....
I also added developers and I only allow one app to run in the background.....

I lost the red green colors on the Shield.  Any ideas?  I reset everything to Default, but now there is no red/green color.  The screen has a yellow tint. It's weird?  I  guess something did not go right wth all the changes I made?  The screen has only blue and yellow, mostly yellow now.  I reset all display settings to default, but I can not get green and red to come back

False Alarm: Found the issue; I must have clicked by mistake in Developer options the Simulate color space.
I also turned on USB Debugging.  I think this will stop the device from going to charge mode when connected to the RC?

I am going to give it another test soon with Processes off and Force GPU Rendering ON (unless an aldroid expert says no).
I had to try a quick test in the house and it looks good now. No lag and no pixelation! I rotated the P4 by hand though. No Pixel bands!

2016-9-25
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Flew a few minutes around the house and I am still getting some colorful pixel bands.  I went into airplane ode, wifi off/on, I then switched between maximum performance and Optimized performance, I optimized DJI go to use maximum memory, maximum cpu, 30fps, I had no choice on resolution, otherwise I can not see the entire go app screen.  I also tried different settings in developer zone, but they did not make any difference.

I placed it in USB debugging mode. Not sure it has any affect.

Do I have a bad unit?  Everyone seems to love their shields.

2016-9-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules