NVIDIA SHIELD STILL RECOMMENDED?
3838 69 2016-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

The screen is highly reflective, when i am facing the sun, i can see my reflection.
The previous screen I had glue on it sucked a bit, but i may have to install something again, the glare is killing me - despite having a sun shield around the tablet.. that is not much better with my phone, nexus5x, and was not much better on a few samsung tablets i've tried....
The reflective screens are annoying, i wish tablets started coming out with matte screens.
2016-9-26
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

Well mine arrived today, no fly weather so spent a bit of time running all the updates and installing litchi, dji go, shutapp, and deleting everything unnecessary.
Looks like an impressive piece of kit, but as they say, the proof of the pudding shall be in the eating.....
Time will tell.
2016-9-26
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I have been playing with different settings. It is raining though so I can only test them inside.

So far, I am using Optimized because High Performance did not produce any improvement.  I also changed the color settings to improve the viewing outside,  I have to admit though, that the screen reflections are very bad and I can not see the screen with sunglasses on, even though the Brightness is HIGH and I customized the color settings for max brightness and darker black background.

My other concern is the sub par compass. The blue circle is constantly movng around, 20 - 30 feet away, even though I am standing still.  The compass direction is also many degrees off.

But my biggest improvement in streaming video was after I installed the free app called 360 security! This app is the one which works!  It has an optimizer which kills running apps and system processes and it increases free cpu and memory capacity.  I run the optimizer just before I run DJI GO. My free memory is now 1.1 GB, vs. 750 MB before.  So far, during my limited testing, I only have some distorton when I click on the C1, which resets the gimbal pitch by 90º. That is a P4 issue I suspect though.
So fa, I did not find any android setting which is compatible with IOS Hardware Video Decoding.  I guess that is only an IOS feature?
2016-9-27
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-26 16:46
The screen is highly reflective, when i am facing the sun, i can see my reflection.
The previous sc ...

Which sun shield do you use for your shield?

Are you able to see the screen with sunglasses on? I can not use my sunglasses.
2016-9-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-28 01:40
Which sun shield do you use for your shield?

Are you able to see the screen with sunglasses on? I  ...

I made my own out of a black foam like card boarding thing, some duct tape and velcro.. works ok to block direct sunlight.. it's just a 3 surface cover around the tablet that extends about a foot forward on 3 sides. Bottom is open. But I will have to put nonreflective film on the screen again - even though it dims the screen a bit, right now the reflection of my face on the screen makes it hard to fly...
2016-9-27
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
Netherlands

Hi MD_Icarus, sorry all of your posts are a bit over whelming for me to reply to them all. I'm still quite new to the drone thing as well. But yeah I have read many posts and one of the things I read that was recommended was putting your device into Aeroplane mode to avoid possible interference. There is also an app called Compass 360 (or something like that) which should fix the inaccurate compass issues you have experienced.

There is a thread somewhere on here where a user posts about the steps they do with their tablet (I think it was actually a k1) before each flight, in order for best flight performance. But I cant find it!

I see you have enabled the usb debugging. I have not had to do this with my k1. Did you notice any improvement doing this?
2016-9-27
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-9-27 16:53
Hi MD_Icarus, sorry all of your posts are a bit over whelming for me to reply to them all. I'm still ...

I installed the 360 yesterday and it does help.  I only tested it for a few minutes though, due to weather.

I did not see any improvements with USB debugging, so I took it off. The  main reason was that it will stay in that mode.  But every time I connect a usb device, like the RC, it goes into USB Charging mode.  I then have to switch it every time to USB File Transfer.  I do not want the K1 o charge from the RC.
2016-9-27
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-27 16:21
I made my own out of a black foam like card boarding thing, some duct tape and velcro.. works ok t ...

I did something similar too using the cardboard case from a keyboard.  I created an L type sun shade and I then used black tape all over it.  And I placed a rod to keep the K1 from falling out when I tilt the RC.  It works, the tablet wont fall off even if I turn it upside down!

I will recommend to DJI to consider placing a similar edge on the top of the RC bracket, similar to the one they have in the middle, which folds out. Wen the tablet is held by the 2 end pieces, it can fall right off.

BTW: Why is the DJI Go app version 2.9.1 instead of 2.9.2?
Also, the Android version is a bit more "touchy" when it comes to connecting to the P4.  I have realized that I have to turn the K1 first, then the RC, I get a message to run the DJI GO, and then it defaults to Inspire.  Once I turn the P4 on, it goes to P3A and then finally it recognizes the P4.  Ths process is so much more refined on IOS.  It always remembers the last connection and it starts with a P4.  Also, if I make an android settings change, while running DJI GO app, I get disconnected!  This scares me a bit.

I have not yet installed Litchi because I am not sure I will use the K1; but I assume I can use Litchi and DJI GO on Android? I guess DJI Go asks me every time that it is the default app, as soon as I turn the RC on, but I have not saved it as the default. Will Litchi do the same?  On IOS I do not get this pop up, to choose a default app.  I can turn one off and start the other one.

Sun Shiield (Home Made)

Sun Shiield (Home Made)
2016-9-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

This was my prototype, the current version is black, but works the same way... This onbe was before I got the Shield tablet, but again, pretty much same logic.. works ok. There's velcro stripe wrapped from the sides behind the holder, so the tablet and the hood do not fall off....
sHIELDpROTOTYPE (1) (Medium).jpg
sHIELDpROTOTYPE (2) (Medium).jpg
2016-9-27
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-27 19:56
This was my prototype, the current version is black, but works the same way... This onbe was before  ...

I like the design.  Where did you get the L bracket? Is it plastic? Is it hinged?
2016-9-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-27 13:56
This was my prototype, the current version is black, but works the same way... This onbe was before  ...

Aloha Icarus,

Your nVidia Shield K1 does not look like my nVidia Shield K1.  Yours seems to have a hardware "Home" button and the back and quit app touch spots are in the bezel next to the home button.  Mine are on screen which is why I have not been able to do screen shots with DJI GO being full screen - although I am still working on that.

Nice Sun Shade.  I had to make one to.  The DJI GO app is rarely the same version for Android and iOS.  If you keep the USB cable connected when you turn on the controller and answer the requests in the affirmative, it will always start the way you noted.  Much of the discrepencies you mention are because you are not allowing Android to do what you want.  DJI GO used to remember the last platform flown until the P4 came out.  Adding the P4 gave it a number of platforms to choose from so it l lets you choose it unless you let Android do it for you.  

Once I have everything on except my Phantom and the Inspire white screen shows up; I turn on my Phantom and it immediately goes to the right platform screen.  You have to enable Android to do it for you or you get discrepancies.

You can always go back and use factory defaults for settings, so just let the nVidia Shield K1 and Android do the work for you.  It works for me!  But then you might have a newer version - Hmmm.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-27
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-27 20:22
Aloha Icarus,

Your nVidia Shield K1 does not look like my nVidia Shield K1.  Yours seems to  ...

I just purchased from Amazon.  It is the 2016 Nvidia Shield 8" tablet, with Tegra K1 Processor 2 GB RAM, and 16 GB hd.
2016-9-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-27 14:31
I just purchased from Amazon.  It is the 2016 Nvidia Shield 8" tablet, with Tegra K1 Processor 2 G ...

Aloha Icarus,

Actually, it was Phantomski's Nexus 5X that I was looking at with the light blue case.  The avatar jumped on the left to see who made the Sun Shade and your avatar was there.  Now it makes sense.  Nice Sun Shade Phantomski!

Sorry about the mix-up!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kwaka Pants Posted at 2016-9-26 11:01
Well mine arrived today, no fly weather so spent a bit of time running all the updates and installin ...

Aloha Kwaka,

Here are the specs for the three tablets; our nVidias, Icarus' iPhone 6 Plus and my Samsung Galaxy.

Tablet Comparisons for DJI Phantoms

nVidia Shield K1
PLATFORM        OS Android OS, v5.0 (Lollipop), upgradable to v6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
                Chipset Nvidia Tegra K1
                CPU Quad-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A15
                GPU ULP GeForce Kepler (192 cores)

Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PLATFORM        OS iOS 8, upgradable to iOS 10.0.2
                Chipset Apple A8
                CPU Dual-core 1.4 GHz Typhoon (ARM v8-based)
                GPU PowerVR GX6450 (quad-core graphics)

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1
PLATFORM        OS Android OS, v4.4 (KitKat)
                Chipset Exynos 5420 Octa
                CPU Octa-core (4x1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & 4x1.3 GHz Cortex-A7)
                GPU Mali-T628 MP6

Your nVidia should be a screaming mimi!  My Galaxy TabPRO is no slouch in the processor department.  I wonder why it has that problem and why it is getting worse.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-27
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-26 16:42
Flew a few minutes around the house and I am still getting some colorful pixel bands.  I went into a ...

just for fun try a different usb cable or 2
2016-9-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Clarification, the shade in the previous post was for some samsung or some other tablet i was testing, that was not the shield....
There's no "L" bracket... this thing mounts on the default mount for Phantom3Advanced. The structure is just duct tape keeping the pieces together (4 pieces) and velcro glued to the boards, to allow me to clip thing together. On the current one, the back is a thin black construction paper, the rtest is black foam/cardboard combo.

Side view of the current one

Side view of the current one
2016-9-27
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bloody british weather!
Tried for a flight tonight, as actually wasn't raining for once.
However, the wind was waaaay to much, full forward stick was actually giving me not even walking pace, so landed before I ended up stranded downwind if I lost connection.
So far the tablet looks great though, but time will tell.
2016-9-28
Use props
RSV_Ecosse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133520 ft
United Kingdom

Look forward to an update when you get a better chance to test it out and fly, Kwacka Pants. The weather has been horrible in my neck of the woods here too, so no flying for me lately either.

Kwaka Pants - I'm guessing that's a reference to Kawasaki? You've probably guessed what I ride by my username and avatar.
2016-9-28
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

RSV_Ecosse Posted at 2016-9-29 04:42
Look forward to an update when you get a better chance to test it out and fly, Kwacka Pants. The wea ...

Haha, yep, OT, but I used to be a kawasaki guy till I stopped riding road bikes, moved onto green laning these days on a 350 ktm, but do have an 800 gs as well. Best bike I ever had - ZX6R B1H, why oh why did i ever sell it...
My riding buddy of the time had an Edwards rep RSV, nice machine. Bitch to bump off though lol.
2016-9-28
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-27 17:43
Clarification, the shade in the previous post was for some samsung or some other tablet i was testin ...

Aloha ski,

Nice photo but a very bad advertisement - you not even looking at the device!  All that work and you not even using it!  Send it to me.  I will look at it!

Your design has a very good reach though.  I think I will do one like that.  My friend with the nVidia Shield K1 and I are going to make some out of presentation board.  That long reach looks like it will do a better job with the sun than mine.

Nice design.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-29
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-26 16:42
Flew a few minutes around the house and I am still getting some colorful pixel bands.  I went into a ...

I;ve used a number of devise from IOS to Android, & the Shield is my go to device, mind you, I dedicated it to my P-3A only. Just an awesome machine, no lag, bright screen, my routine on start up works 100% of the time
Fire up my bird, then  RC, then the Shield, when screen comes to life, plug USB into shield, instantly, DJI & Litchi icon appear, hit whichever u want to use, asks you once or always-Hit once only & your flying!
I hope the Mavic is as easy to get in the air!
2016-9-29
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-29 16:21
Aloha ski,

Nice photo but a very bad advertisement - you not even looking at the device!  Al ...

haha, yes, it is a bit of a waste in my case.. I do fly more line of sight than fpv...  I really use fpv as an additional feature to help, not as primary way to fly..... unless I am way further away.. this was just during approach and landing....  You know, If I could take my own pictures of me while flying.. but I do not....
2016-9-29
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

So far so good with mine, seems to work well. No pixellation issues, not been out when really sunny yet so screen has been visable enough. Don't doubt that when it's really bright reflection will be a problem, but that's not very often here in the UK lol.
2016-10-2
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Keep an eye on the compass.  The bad weather ha snot allowed me to test it, but I am noticing huge compass errors using the Shield vs. the iphone. It will be hard to fly the Phantom if you do not see it's correct orientation. I know the Phantom set's the Home point, but the device location keeps making circles while I am standing still.  And the red Phantom icon direction is off by many many degrees.  I do not have this issue using my iphone.
2016-10-3
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Recommended by me, I never updated and GPS/compass works great for follow me.
2016-10-3
Use props
dgriffnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-27 09:46
The previous sc ...

Get Mr Shield screen protectors from Amazon. I never use a shield on my K1 and they remove 99% of the glare.
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

dgriffnz Posted at 2016-10-4 16:19
Get Mr Shield screen protectors from Amazon. I never use a shield on my K1 and they remove 99% of t ...

Agreed, I took mine off and glare was horrible, put it back on, it's not as bright, but.. at least usable.. u get 3 on amazon, and they have lifetime warranty, whatever that means ;)
2016-10-4
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-24 17:08
I did my first test flight today; it was a sunny day by the sea shore.

Issue No 1: I could not see  ...

Ditto. I bought one and it is unusable in daylight no matter how many sunshields I have tried.
PS. Odd side note, I get a much better range with my iPad mini 4. I can not explain it. But it is a big difference.
The Nvidia has been in a drawer since I bought the mini 4.
2016-10-4
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-9-25 17:52
Got my Shield K1 a couple of days ago and have already logged 5 flights with it. Love it! Have ZERO  ...

If the Shield impresses you, you should try the Ipad mini 4. I have both and do not use the Shield now that I have the mini 4. Unless I need the shields GPS for something.
PS my Shields compass does not work either. I have tried calibration, it does not stick. So every time i want to fly using the compass,  have to re-calibrate.
2016-10-4
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the confirmations!  I am not happy with it's overall performance, the compass is horrible if one tests it closely and I can not see the screen with sunglasses on. This is a device for cloudy days or people using it under shade or inside their homes for games. I am stuck with it and I am not a gamer.  I may give this to my son for christmas.
2016-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules