2913 21 2016-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I have an Osmo Pro that was working fine in June 2016. I took the same rig on a trip and now, I can't record audio. Video is fine but the file cannot be opened in QT player. It opens OK in VMC but without any sound.

I have tried:
1. Restarting
2. Flashing the system (simultaneous front trigger, power button and slider button flip)
3. Installing the latest firmware (.txt file says upgrade successful)
4. Different micro SD cards; reformatted

Audio meter moves in Go app.
Sound is recorded on iPhone

Can anyone help?

*** Update Nov 2 2016 - Audio board failure on the X5. DJI is kindly replacing the part and providing labor for free. Good job DJI. See below for details ***
2016-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello , Could you please upload the original files to dropbox and send me the link ? We will help to check it.
And please make sure you turned on the Audio Recording function and use the external Mic while recording.
2016-9-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Here is the link to a short file https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n4txt7couyavv6/DJI_0418.MOV?dl=0

The external mic was turned on. The external mic was tested with another device and is normal.
2016-9-23
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

I tested the Osmo handle with an Osmo X3 and there is sound. I could also read the .mov file without problem. Then I switched back to the X5 and the same problem occurred. The X5 records video normally.

I'd really appreciate a reply soon. I have upgraded the handle's firmware to the Pro/Raw version; so that's not the problem.

FYI I've used that X5 camera on this handle without any problems a while ago.
2016-9-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-20 14:49
Hello , Could you please upload the original files to dropbox and send me the link ? We will help to ...

Hi Mindy,

Please check my posted file and the subsequent posts. I just got my Inspire back from repairs and I'd hate to have to send the Osmo in too. Weird that I can record sound with an X3 and an X5R but not the X5 which was working just some weeks ago. Have been using proxy audio from the iPhone..

I have updated camera firmware and Osmo firmware to their respective latest versions.

Please assist in this matter.
2016-9-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-20 14:49
Hello , Could you please upload the original files to dropbox and send me the link ? We will help to ...

I have uploaded the files. Kindly comment.
2016-10-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-3 13:54
I have uploaded the files. Kindly comment.

Sorry for the late reply.
I have checked your video.
If you have tried to refresh the firmware and still no improvement, you need to send it in for fixing.
2016-10-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-8 11:00
Sorry for the late reply.
I have checked your video.
If you have tried to refresh the firmware and ...

Thanks Mindy but can you kindly explain why the problem exists only for the X5 but not X5R or X3?
2016-10-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-8 22:03
Thanks Mindy but can you kindly explain why the problem exists only for the X5 but not X5R or X3?

It's probably the firmware cause this issue.
For further evaluation,it's better to send it in.
2016-10-8
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-9 09:21
It's probably the firmware cause this issue.
For further evaluation,it's better to send it in.

Mindy,

Think about this a little - why should the faulty firmware installation allow a X5R to capture sound but not an X5. Could you send the files to one of your talented engineers to have him/her analyse what's going on?

I could send the stick in but if I could I'd rather not.

Thanks.
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-17 07:39
Mindy,

Think about this a little - why should the faulty firmware installation allow a X5R to cap ...

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
It's better to locate the issue by evaluating the product.
The videos are insufficient for evaluation.
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-16 19:39
Mindy,

Think about this a little - why should the faulty firmware installation allow a X5R to cap ...

Hi, the firmware is stored in the X3/X5/X5R camera, it might be the firmware has some issue with your particular X5 unit, sorry about it.
2016-10-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-17 15:03
Hi, the firmware is stored in the X3/X5/X5R camera, it might be the firmware has some issue with y ...

Thank you Thor. With this knowledge, let me try re-install the firmware on the X5. This is odd because the X5 was working fine in late August with the Osmo (no changes to firmware) and then suddenly it did not work.

At first, the X5R did not have sound too but I upgraded the firmware and its fine. With the X3, I did not upgrade any firmware and its still fine. My X5 works perfectly on my Inspire.

I will test and reply you tomorrow.
2016-10-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-17 15:03
Hi, the firmware is stored in the X3/X5/X5R camera, it might be the firmware has some issue with y ...

Hello Thor,

I have extensively retested and here are the findings.
1. The firmware installed on the X5 is OSMO_FC550_FW_V01.03.00.40
2. This checks out both on the .txt file and the App: 3.0.0
3. Both X3 and X5R cameras attached to this Osmo record audio fine
4. The X5 records video normally on an Inspire
5. The X5 records a normal video file IF and ONLY IF Audio recording is turned off. Otherwise, it generates a .mov or .mp4 file that says Error -12842; This is not an error documented anywhere in Apple's websites
6. This damaged file can be opened in VLC and I can patch the iPhone audio onto it during post. Obviously this is not what one buys an Osmo for.
7. I can tell when #5 will occur by observing the behaviour of the file write process. If audio is successfully recorded, the record button reverts to 'normal' within 2s. With the damaged file, the white outer ring turns for about 5s before the record button on the app reverts color.

I would like an engineer familiar with faults in Osmo to give you feedback on this message. I am willing to send my unit in but it is unclear what needs to be sent in. I would hate to send in the X5 and the Osmo stick together as I would lose an aerial camera. I do not believe this is a firmware fault. If it were, why would it only affect audio?

Thank you for your attention to this matter in advance.

2016-10-18
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-18 17:34
Hello Thor,

I have extensively retested and here are the findings.

Can you upload a damaged .mov or.mp4 file into a Dropbox/Google Drive and share it? Thank you.
2016-10-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-19 14:47
Can you upload a damaged .mov or.mp4 file into a Dropbox/Google Drive and share it? Thank you.

Please scroll up to the third post in this thread. The video part of the file WILL play on VLC or on a browser but it won't play with QT Player. It has no audio despite audio being enabled in the Go app.
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-19 17:42
Please scroll up to the third post in this thread. The video part of the file WILL play on VLC or o ...

Sorry about it, it looks like the audio board of the X5 is broken, please contact support@dji.com and follow instructions to send it in. Thank you.
2016-10-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-21 14:19
Sorry about it, it looks like the audio board of the X5 is broken, please contact  and follow inst ...

OK thanks. This seems like a definite answer. I will refer to this post in my note to support.
2016-10-20
Use props
marieadela8797
New

Netherlands

Maybe your audio codec in .mov or .mp4 can't be accepted by QuickTime. Although MP4's file structure is based on Apple’s QuickTime technology, its data embedded in this MPEG-4 Part 14 file, like MPEG-4 Part 10 (known as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, etc, causes a codec problem which doesn't work well with Apple products. You can try to re-encode your video recordings from Osmo Pro to QT mov firstly.
2016-10-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

marieadela8797 Posted at 2016-10-25 16:17
Maybe your audio codec in .mov or .mp4 can't be accepted by QuickTime. Although MP4's file structure ...

This is not the problem. If it were why would  X3 and X5R cameras attached to the same Osmo stick give problems?

Try downloading the file and testing yourself.

I've sent my X5 for repair - didn't realise it had an audio board in it!
2016-10-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI found that a module in the X5 was faulty and are replacing it for FREE. Good on them and I appreciate the good service.
2016-11-1
Use props
punkie
lvl.3
Australia

I'm having the same problem with my X5, tried two different SD cards, same story, getting a "An unknown error occurred (-12842)" message from quicktime, and won't open in any adobe software. I've used this set up plenty of times in the past without issues. Tried an X3 cam that I have here and it's no problem with that. Obviously the problem is in the X5.
2020-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules