Not recording video while you think you are?
2045 8 2016-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So, I am realizing more and more that due to the record button being a red circle on DJI GO app (I use Phantom 3 Advanced - may differ with different models?), and the record being a red square, when I just glance at it while flying, I have taken many flight where I was sure I record..... I just wonder how many people have this happen, and if the users think it's worth asking DJI to change something in the app... If people could vote and comment with what they think their solution would be?

My suggestion would be, make the record button a gray circle while not recording, and a RED circle or square when recording. Make it RED only when actually RECORDING...

The root cause of this is, that after taking a still photo, there's a delay before you can start video, so if you press the button (I usually do so on the remote, not the app) it gets ignored if done too soon, and I endup flying and NOT recording...

Differenciating the color of the button when recording and when not recording, should be a very easy and quick fix, provided we find that users would like it, and if DJI would be receptive for such a change.

If DJI would be willing to make this a test app some of us could play with for a few days, I am sure we could determine fast whether this helps to make sure we do not fly without recording on, when we mean to record.

Thx all for participating, and thx to DJI for monitoring and thinking about such changes, as the case may be.

GT

Single SelectVote, Total 8 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-9-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The ideal solution would be for users to learn from experience.
2016-9-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-19 15:39
The ideal solution would be for users to learn from experience.

Agreed, but after almost 6 months, I still get caught on this every so often, and it hurts every time! I think after taking a still while I am over water, watching out for what I am filming and birds, I just glance and think I am recording, to later only find I was not...  Not saying it is not my fault at all, but am saying there's a good and easy solution to that problem. Readability of instruments while flying is quite important, that is why for example battery power display is color coded... helps a lot with a quick glance to see the status. Record button does not follow that standard - in my pushy opinion ;)
2016-9-19
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Better if after photo returns to previous recording state. How about red single pixel border around screen when recording. Yes we learn from experience, but every little helps
2016-9-19
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

What I would prefer is one more setting: "Auto record in flight" that just records when you take-off until you land.
2016-9-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

peter@wonderlan Posted at 2016-9-20 18:33
What I would prefer is one more setting: "Auto record in flight" that just records when you take-off ...

Easily accomplished by having a written cyhecklist, with "Press Record" as the last item before taking off. However it would not work for everyone, as many like to take still shots then record video, and you cannot do both.
2016-9-20
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

If everyone had (and followed) a checklist then this and many other threads would be unnecessary
2016-9-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I'm always doing this, more on the osmo where I get lots of clips, stop and start recording and then get out of synch so I'm recording rubbish I don't want and miss everything I did... User error, so no need for DJI to do anything.

My checklist is : Dog, coffee, cigarettes, lighter, tasty snacks, lets fly
2016-9-20
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

I think some people mentioning a checklist are missing a point - it is not that i take off and forget to record, it is that I STOP recording, take a still photo, and THEN recording does not take effect when I press the button, because I did it too soon - and I simply not notice while flying. Happens to me a lopt, but only when I flip back and forth, between video and stills.
2016-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules