Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs guy) encounter with a drone (he wasn't amused)
2824 19 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Link to actual post (along with around 6,000 comments):  https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/posts/1285580754785398:0

Leave Me Adrone!

Early this morning, deep in the middle of some sort of strange gardening dream, I was awakened by the sound of a giant bumble bee, hovering a few inches from my ear. As I slowly entered a more conscious state, I realized the sound was not coming from a bee in a dream, nor for that matter, a bee in reality. It was coming from something much larger, just outside my bedroom window. Dressed in my favorite pair of non-existent pajamas, I leapt from my bed and pulled the drapes aside. There, not three feet in front of me, was a camera, dangling from the underside of a drone. The red light was on, and the camera was rolling.

I was slow to react, partly because I was still waking up, and partly because my first instinct when confronted with a camera is to say something pithy. I can’t help it. I’ve been saying pithy things to cameras for the last thirty years, and old habits die hard. Well this morning, I had no words for the outrage I felt at such an intrusion. I was incensed, and as Freddy egged me on with a chorus of snarls and barks, I moved onto my second instinct - an irresistible urge to blow the contraption out of the sky.

Seconds later I’d pulled the Mossburg 12-guage from under my bed and grabbed the cellphone from the bedside table. In no time, I was out on the deck downstairs, about fifteen feet below the electronic Peeping Tom. The drone had moved even closer to my window. I could see the camera panning left to right, and I could hear my dog unleashing a level of indignation usually reserved for raccoons and feral cats. Somewhere, in the logical part of my brain, it occurred to me that nothing good can come from an angry B-list celebrity standing on his deck with no clothes and a loaded shotgun, but I was not really in touch at that moment with the logical part of my brain. I was focused only on the joy that would follow the roar of the Mossburg, and the satisfying sprinkle of cheap plastic that would rain down upon my deck in the aftermath.

I pumped a shell into the chamber, enjoying the “crunch-crunch” sound that makes shotguns worth owning. I had a clear shot - nothing but blue sky above - and more than enough umbrage to justify the destruction I was about to unleash. But then, as I was literally squeezing the trigger, I saw the camera tilt down. It was pointed directly at me, and in that moment - I froze.

I’d like to tell you I stopped because I realized that discharging my weapon in such a fashion would be frowned on by the local constabulary. But really, what stopped me was the realization that somewhere nearby, a drone operator was staring at his monitor, pondering the image of a very naked guy with a very familiar face, pointing a shotgun into the lens of his Go Pro and looking every bit as crazy as Gary Busey and Nick Nolte at the nadir of their careers. I froze, because I could see the video that might very well appear on the local news, (with considerable blurring, naturally.) The same video that might soon appear on my mother’s computer screen, along with the headline - “Dirty Jobs Guy Totally Loses It - Gets Naked and Shoots Drone From San Francisco Skies.”

When the moment passed I put the shotgun down and reached for my phone instead, just as the wicked contrivance bugged out for the Wild Blue Yonder. The attached photo is all I have in the way of proof, and I hope to God that’s all the proof you’ll ever see. Because honestly, I have no idea who is in possession of the footage I’ve just described. Nor do I have any idea if it will appear in your news feeds later this week. I sincerely hope not, but I know it’s out there, and there isn’t much I can do about it but make sure - if the unthinkable occurs - that you can all say you heard it here first…

Mike

Mike Rowe.jpg
2016-9-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know who he is, and I call BS. More likely he woke up and wanted some more attention on facebook and came up with this fantastical tale of drones outside his window.
2016-9-21
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

If Mike wrote it I don't doubt a bit that is happened.     I also bet the operator knew exactly whose window they were watching.
2016-9-21
Use props
The Vaping wolf
lvl.2
United States

probably a paparatzi....
2016-9-21
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-21 10:38
I don't know who he is, and I call BS. More likely he woke up and wanted some more attention on face ...

Here's the photo he attached to that original post. This is the drone from his story that he took with his phone... So, I also believe it to be true.

2016-9-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-21 10:38
I don't know who he is, and I call BS. More likely he woke up and wanted some more attention on face ...

He's an American celebrity so I suspect "Dirty Jobs" never made it onto the BBC.  

Considering the number of women followers who state he makes their "ovaries quiver" he hardly needs to make up stuff to get attention.  (Dang, now that's some sex appeal!)
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

It's unfortunate that his privacy was violated like that. Only a few feet from his window, that's not cool.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-21 22:38

I'm fairly certain it's not BS.
2016-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-22 13:03

It looks like an Inspire, so it may be a well equipped member of the paparazzi.
2016-9-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-22 11:03

I agree. I read the story yesterday and I have no doubt about it. Sure makes drone operators look very bad.
OTOH, there are a lot of ladies scouring the interwebs looking for the footage...
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-9-22 11:31
I agree. I read the story yesterday and I have no doubt about it. Sure makes drone operators look  ...

I agree, I'd be curious if the operator will ever post something.
2016-9-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-22 12:11
I agree, I'd be curious if the operator will ever post something.

My guess, no. Will not want to incriminate himself as I would think flying a drone outside someone's bedroom window is probably against some peeping tom law. But then again, he would be famous (or infamous).
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-9-22 13:32
My guess, no. Will not want to incriminate himself as I would think flying a drone outside someone ...

Very true, we shall see.
2016-9-22
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

He should arm himself with the new high powered jammer instead, and next time this happens, he can bring it to the ground and then give it to the local authorities.

He should aso get a  tree prunner and cut down the dead branches.

2016-9-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The paparazzi has been peeping into people's windows climbing people's fences using huge zoom lenses to pry into people's lives for years and the famous can do nothing about it, he had his shot he should have taken it as a privacy thing he was well within his rights, we only know a drone flew over his house and he took a picture of and got his much needed publicity, this is a game these guys are very proficient at playing, I'm on the fence about this story..
2016-9-22
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-9-22 12:28
The paparazzi has been peeping into people's windows climbing people's fences using huge zoom lenses ...

A drone,  in the hands of a peeping tom type, is a dangerous thing!
This was no accident, the op. was definatley trying to get a money shot of a celebrity.
I'll bet he's negotiating with a mag,  like the Inquirer right now!
This kind of spying is really going to hurt our hobby.
2016-9-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

r.powell@rogers Posted at 2016-9-22 18:15
A drone,  in the hands of a peeping tom type, is a dangerous thing!
This was no accident, the op.  ...

Are you saying if it was in the hands of a photographer it would be ok, photographers have been spying on celebs for donkeys years and nothing can be done about it do you think you can get a better shot of a celeb with a drone than you can with a 1000mm lens on an dslr I think not, look celebs need photographers for publicity they don't like them snooping on there private life but it's a price they have to pay for being in the public eye, if celebs want to outlaw drones because of one incident then why have they not done anything about the paparazzi, it's because when you play with fire you get burned. I think if celebrities try to outlaw drones they will be pissing against the wind.
2016-9-22
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-9-23 01:55
Are you saying if it was in the hands of a photographer it would be ok, photographers have been sp ...

That was a seriously long sentence!
2016-9-22
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-9-23 00:21
That was a seriously long sentence!

I don't care if your a celeb or not, (comma) flying a drone up to a persons window is an invasion of privacy that only a weirdo would attempt. (period)
Of course, the temptation of selling a shot of Kim Kar whats er names  huge butt to National Inquirer makes a papparatizi, paparrattizi, um, slimly photographer, willing to do whatever it take for that "shot".
What does your Dad do? Oh, he sneaks on to  private property to get pics to sell to a sleazier than me magazine.
(That was a long sentence-LOL!!!!)
2016-9-29
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Yep, makes drone operator's look bad....
2016-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules