Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable
119829 337 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarekO
lvl.2
United States

fansf491992d Posted at 2017-4-1 15:22
Haha! OMG! A software update is not going to disable OIS, as OIS is a mechanical piece built into the lens module. Think of it as a floating piece of rubber, a spring or a magnet. In order for Apple to add the option to turn off OIS they would have to physically take your phone, open it up, insert a mechanical brake or some type of on/off mechanism that would physically stop the OIS. No software is going to do it, including an update to iOS. Maybe the next iPhone 8 will have some type of mechanical brake built in, but on this model (6S and 7) you're stuck with OIS always on.

Not exactly. I attempted the magnet trick and holding the magnet in place causes the OIS motors to hunt left and right trying to find an equilibrium. You can even hear them very slightly if you put it up to your ear. I can post a video if you'd like as proof. This means that OIS can be disabled, but it would have to be at the firmware level direct from apple.
2017-4-2
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Haha! OMG! A software update is not going to disable OIS, as OIS is a mechanical piece built into the lens module. Think of it as a floating piece of rubber, a spring or a magnet. In order for Apple to add the option to turn off OIS they would have to physically take your phone, open it up, insert a mechanical brake or some type of on/off mechanism that would physically stop the OIS. No software is going to do it, including an update to iOS. Maybe the next iPhone 8 will have some type of mechanical brake built in, but on this model (6S and 7) you're stuck with OIS always on.

Removed by original poster
2017-4-3
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

ComPH Posted at 2017-4-3 13:01
Well, the OIS is electronic, but it is strictly a servo loop (sensor-phase feedback-motor), no processor is involved, no port from the iPhone processor/software to the camera module. It cannot be fixed or disabled, however, it can be screwed up...

Regarding the magnet. It is very important that it is in the right position. There are  several positions which cause different effects. On my iPhone 7 (not a plus model), using a 8mm diameter, 3mm thick neodymium magnet, the best position is almost directly behind the lens, offset about 0.5mm towards the centre of the main screen.

I'll post a picture later when I get home showing how I do this using a piece of credit card plastic. The magnet is strong enough to hold itself and the plastic onto the phone. For me, this is so far 100% reliable, I never get focus hunting issues.

There are two detrimental effects, a focus tilt across the video image, the right side is slightly defocused, and as noticed by others a chirping sound in the microphone which sounds like a motor trying to adjust. I use an external microphone so this is not an issue in my case. I've taken several hours of footage so far.

The polarity/orientation is important. I am seeing different effects for different magnet placements.
There is a particular place where the OIS is locked up, but focus can't adjust. Another couple where OIS is weakly affected but focus is unstable and jumps between focused and defocused. Another (in my case difficult to provoke) where Focus "hunts" and can't focus. It sounds like this happens more often for others.

2017-4-4
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

ComPH Posted at 2017-4-1 09:08
The problem is not with the OIS, it is with DJI.

I tried the magnet, it completely screws up the focusing on the iPhone 7 Plus.  Makes sense, both the focusing and the OIS are basically permanent magnet based motors (not turning, but the same principle as controlled solenoid), and external magnet will interfere with both. I don't see how it would be otherwise.

ComPH, I think you are correct on the technical aspects of the Focusing and OIS systems, your assumptions are similar to mine.

This issue is not just a DJI issue though. I am not using any DJI products in my setup, just an iPhone mounted on my windscreen. I get the exact same symptoms as fans94f58e03 does in his video above. Namely massive jellification issues. Many people using their iPhones in their cars on racetracks and so on are reporting the same issues. It actually started before OIS (on iPhone 5 and 6) but not quite as bad. On phones with OIS, the problem became much worse. I think it is a combination of effects. I believe apple is using some strange way of aquiring the image from the sensor, a tiled readout instead of a rolling shutter or something. Just guessing based on what we seeing.

BTW, I think you commented on the Youtube clip, I can't see where your message went, I see it in my notifications but am unable to reply to it since it disappeared into cyberspace somehow. Apologies for not responding or if I accidently deleted it.
2017-4-4
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

Sonertial Posted at 2017-4-4 01:28
Regarding the magnet. It is very important that it is in the right position. There are  several positions which cause different effects. On my iPhone 7 (not a plus model), using a 8mm diameter, 3mm thick neodymium magnet, the best position is almost directly behind the lens, offset about 0.5mm towards the centre of the main screen.

I'll post a picture later when I get home showing how I do this using a piece of credit card plastic. The magnet is strong enough to hold itself and the plastic onto the phone. For me, this is so far 100% reliable, I never get focus hunting issues.

Here's some details showing how I attach and position the magnet on my iPhone 7 in order to stabilize it's OIS.

2017-4-4
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Sonertial Posted at 2017-4-4 01:47
ComPH, I think you are correct on the technical aspects of the Focusing and OIS systems, your assumptions are similar to mine.

This issue is not just a DJI issue though. I am not using any DJI products in my setup, just an iPhone mounted on my windscreen. I get the exact same symptoms as fans94f58e03 does in his video above. Namely massive jellification issues. Many people using their iPhones in their cars on racetracks and so on are reporting the same issues. It actually started before OIS (on iPhone 5 and 6) but not quite as bad. On phones with OIS, the problem became much worse. I think it is a combination of effects. I believe apple is using some strange way of aquiring the image from the sensor, a tiled readout instead of a rolling shutter or something. Just guessing based on what we seeing.

2017-4-4
Use props
fansf491992d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 942231 ft
  • >>>
Canada

MarekO Posted at 2017-4-2 18:20
Not exactly. I attempted the magnet trick and holding the magnet in place causes the OIS motors to hunt left and right trying to find an equilibrium. You can even hear them very slightly if you put it up to your ear. I can post a video if you'd like as proof. This means that OIS can be disabled, but it would have to be at the firmware level direct from apple.

Precisely. What this means is that Apple would have to physically take your phone, open it up, place some magnets in there, and voila, you'd have a way to turn off  OIS. But Apple is not going to do that. Maybe in the next generation of iPhone they will build a mechanical piece, or brake, or magnet as you have tried. But for in the current model of iPhones, OIS is there and it's there to stay ;)  
2017-4-15
Use props
stardust1008
New

Germany

I had contact to the developer from the ProCam Video App.
The told me that their app deactivate the OIS:

"i have a question regarding the 4K Max Video in App Purchase. You write that any stabilization will be deactivated in this mode.

Is only the Cinematic Software stabilizer deactived or also the OIS (hardware based) stabilizer of the iPhone 7? I think it is not possible to deactive the OIS Stabilizer?

I use the DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal and it would be great if any stabilizer could be deactivated with Procam.
"

Answer from ProCam:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Yes, both OIS and DIS are disabled, To get a better idea of the methodology used, please visit or tutorials page: procamapp.com/tutorials.
"

Has someone experience with the 4K Max Mode of ProCam 4?
It is hard to believe that the OIS will be deactivated.
2017-4-18
Use props
Sti
lvl.1

Russia

stardust1008 Posted at 2017-4-18 06:47

I found this video.
2017-4-18
Use props
stardust1008
New

Germany

Sti Posted at 2017-4-18 16:18
I found this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KowVCKitcc&t=230s

Yeah, i know this Video. But there i am missing a sample video. The clips at the end are taken without any gimble.
2017-4-18
Use props
Martor
New

United Kingdom

stardust1008 Posted at 2017-4-18 06:47

Hi,
unfortunately, I still can't find anything useful in their tutorials page
2017-4-19
Use props
Sti
lvl.1

Russia

Martor Posted at 2017-4-19 00:46
Hi,
unfortunately, I still can't find anything useful in their tutorials page

4K Max / 4K ULTRA HD VIDEO - IAP $4.99
HOW IT WORKS
12MP photos are captured at up to 30 fps on iPhone 6s and later. 8MP photos are captured at 24 fps on iPhone 5S and up to 30 fps on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad Air 2/3.
On iPhone 6s and later, frames are cropped in realtime from a 4:3 aspect ratio of 4032x3024 to a 16:9 aspect ratio of 4032x2268 (10% higher pixel count than standard 4K) and combined into a video. On iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad Air 2/3 frames are captured at 3032x3264x2448 to a 16:9 aspect ratio of 3264x1836 and combined into a video.
On iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad Air 2/3, there's an optional video upscaling feature in post that upscales videos from 3264x1836 to standard 4K - 3840x2160 (17% upscaling).
Stereo audio is captured independently and added to the video in post processing.

PROS
4K Max videos are encoded at a bitrate of ~150mbps, 3x the quality of native iOS 4K.
4K Max has a 10% higher pixel count than standard 4K.
Significantly wider view angle due to the lack of digital stabilization.
More accurate color reproduction.
Superior low light performance.

CONS
Neither digital nor OIS video stabilization are supported. We recommend the use of a tripod or a gimbal.
High speed 60 fps frame capture not supported.
File size up to 12x as large as 1080p Full HD video.
Some editing software may not support the higher resolution and quality.
2017-4-19
Use props
Martor
New

United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-4-19
Use props
AlenNugi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 422536 ft
United States

I found this video.

Hello everybody !

I think I have found a solution here !
Important: the solution doesn't include DJI OSMO

So I've decided to contact an owner of the youtube video about using DJI OSMO with ProCam asking about how does 4k option works and if it helps to stabilize the video without jelly effect and he suggested me to check out the Zhiyun SMOOTH Q gimbal. At first I thought that the problem is about the conflict of built-in OIS and Gimbal, so not any other product will solve the issue, but I have watched few videos about Zhiyun SMOOTH Q using with iPhone 7 Plus and the image is so good ! And the price is only 139 $ on Amazon. I'm not advertising other product in any way, just want other consumers and DJI to know that there may be a solution from the rival companies and DJI must do everything if they want to be on the top. I would rather buy DJI OSMO for myself because it's comfortable and the material is good, but the image stabilization problem leaves me no other choice. Already ordered Zhiyun gimble for myself.

2017-4-19
Use props
Martor
New

United Kingdom

Dear all,
I've been replied both from ProCam and Filmic Support: whilst Procam seems to work w/o any stabilization with the additional preset , Filmic says that ois is always on

Hi Marco,
Thank you for writing in. There is no way to disable OIS unfortunately. The Optical Image Stabilization is always on when using the iPhone 6s Plus, or the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus. The app's stabilization button is used to enabled or disable the device's digital image stabilization capabilities.
Now if you do see a jello-like movement with OSMO or another gimbal.. DJI has been recommending customers adopt something referred to as 'the ninja walk'. A quick search yields all sorts of info on this: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwwbnB6KrPAhVQ-GMKHYzWB50QPAgD#hl=en&q=dji+ninja+walk
Let us know if you have any questions.
Best Regards,  FiLMiC Pro Support
2017-4-19
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

The thing is, the OSMO mobile is a pretty sweet product, especially with the option to mount a mobile gimbal also on the standard OSMO. We all know that there is an issue with the latest versions of iPhones due to OIS and a conflict between the OIS's attempt to correct and the gimbal doing the same thing. We have also seen that there are other gimbals that have a more "smooth" movement and "anticipate" the iPhone's reaction in a way.

So question for DJI: As a solution to make OSMO mobile usable again for iPhone 7 users, why don't you release a software update with an "iPhone mode" that makes the gimbal a little less reactive and aggressive and that accounts for the iPhone's OIS movements? It can't be that hard. Other cheap gimbals do the same. It is probably just a question of the settings on how the gimbal reacts.
2017-4-20
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

AlenNugi Posted at 2017-4-19 06:10
Hello everybody !

2017-4-20
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

2017-4-20
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

2017-4-21
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I can turn off OIS on my Canon lenses with a flick of a switch,  it might possible for apple to disable OIS via software if there is a mechanism that could lock it off... Not saying there is one, but the software could turn it off depending how it's built.
2017-4-21
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-4-21 12:35
If I can turn off OIS on my Canon lenses with a flick of a switch,  it might possible for apple to disable OIS via software if there is a mechanism that could lock it off... Not saying there is one, but the software could turn it off depending how it's built.

2017-4-21
Use props
fans6936a8ac
New
Chile

I've just bought one. The firmware updated itself immediately. I can see absolutely nothing of these problems on my iPhone 6s Plus videos using the DJI app. I do see some on the Filmic Pro v6 app, which I also happen to bought in order to see which one I liked most. Can't say if something's been fixed cause I obviously didn't test the older firmware, but I can see clearly that the DJI app is smooth as the native apple app (shame that it doesn't connect with Osmo). Perfect for me, although I have to say I'd rather have a cleaner app that's been made only for this device.

A couple of things I've noticed so far. One is that since the Image Stabilization narrows the field of view in the iPhone while active, (don't know if this is only the software stabilization or the optical, or both) you can easily check that this is turned off in the DJI and on Filmicpro apps.

The other is that while doing auto calibration, the motors spin super fast, effortlessly. So I don't think the issues many describe has something to do with the motors not handling the weight. I actually felt It much better with the iPhone 6s Plus than the iPhone 6. The weight felt more balanced to me.

If I have to make a guess, based on the difference in the smoothness I've seen so far between the native DJI, Apple's native, and Filmic, I'd say the issues some see is simply a inefficient application. Nothing to do with Osmo.
2017-4-21
Use props
Sti
lvl.1

Russia

2017-4-21
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

I do some filming with the iphone 7plus + osmo mobile. Edit in the iphone itself, using imovie. Honestly I have no problems, I feel that the stabilization is very good. I do some filming using FilmicPro and they also look really good. This is one of the last footage I did. hugs

2017-4-28
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

Artifex Posted at 2017-1-8 05:41
Yeah, that video looks very nice ! ;)

I have a question though : I discovered on Facebook a new smartphone stabilizer : the FlowMotion One. It's now a project on Kickstarter but will come out around April 2017. The project team answered to a comment which was "it's the same as the Osmo Mobile" by saying "no, because our product will work well with smartphones with OIS like the 7/7+". Do you think it's true ?

interesting. I do not know until now.
2017-4-28
Use props
ronwal
lvl.1
Germany

I have to agree that using an OIS capable iPhone the level of stabilization drops compared to non-OIS iPhones. The more the grip shakes (like z-axis movement when walking), the more the OIS tries to counteract for that which results in even more shaky video. We had side by side videos in a more sophisticated environment using the Osmo mobile while snowboarding. iPhone 7 videos got really shaky while iPhone 5s videos were perfectly smooth.
Today I examined the second batch of videos I took with the Osmo mobile, having a walk with friends yesterday, and have to say that I am underwhelmed again (iPhone 7 used).
This is not the kind of movement the OIS was developed for, so there HAS to be a way to disable it to really enjoy the full stabilization of Osmo mobile!
2017-5-2
Use props
ronwal
lvl.1
Germany

Okay, had a look at the video 3 posts before. So the lens has more or less free movement even when the active OIS is turned off. That's a bummer. I don't want to attach magnets to my phone as suggested before :-/
2017-5-2
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

2017-5-2
Use props
fans488fe988
Banned

Switzerland

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-4
Use props
JoshuaA
lvl.1

Canada

Came back to say I love my Smooth II, used it lots including our cruise. Hope this issue has been fixed, I couldn't wait dji, sorry, but still on my way to getting a Mavic!
Shot and edited in iPhone 7Plus
https://youtu.be/vP8nfQqB9HQ
2017-5-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

2017-5-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Removed by user
2017-5-10
Use props
rpetty_
New
Flight distance : 6778 ft
United States

I found this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KowVCKitcc&t=230s

Thanks, this post was very helpful.  I am considering the purchase of the Osmo mobile, but unless I use software like ProCam 4, the sense I am getting is that it just doesn't work.   I'm just debating whether or not using ProCam 4 is worth the extra effort.  It is an amazing app, but I'm planning a trip to South America and I'd like to capture moments quickly (nothing like the default iPhone Camera app for that) and the automatic upload/storage in iCloud is helpful when we return to the hotel and hopefully decent Internet access.  More thinking...
2017-6-16
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 525302 ft
United States

So I know many have already posted, but I just got an Osmo Mobile with an iPhone 7 and made a test video. You will see it has some shake to it, but not too bad as seen in other videos. I do need to get better with my "ninja" walk though.

2017-6-19
Use props
ronaldbob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26611 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rpetty_ Posted at 2017-6-16 13:53
Thanks, this post was very helpful.  I am considering the purchase of the Osmo mobile, but unless I use software like ProCam 4, the sense I am getting is that it just doesn't work.   I'm just debating whether or not using ProCam 4 is worth the extra effort.  It is an amazing app, but I'm planning a trip to South America and I'd like to capture moments quickly (nothing like the default iPhone Camera app for that) and the automatic upload/storage in iCloud is helpful when we return to the hotel and hopefully decent Internet access.  More thinking...

well i can confirm you that procam is the best app working with Iphone 7 plus and de osmo mobile. For shure.
2017-6-19
Use props
fansa0b51ff1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2188 ft
United States

I really appreciate all the input and examples with the iPhone 7 plus and Osmo's.  I was about to order one as a replacement for my brand new Mavic I have to return and after customer support issues, and reading the issues with the iPhone 7 plus, I'm going to pass.  
Really disappointing, but hopefully things getting settled down and I'll look at them again.
2017-6-19
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Folks,

Today I managed to get really great results with my iPhone 7+. Almost no “ jello”, and for me,  more annoying that jello, Z Axis Motion:

Instead of “ Ninja Walking” , I managed to walk in really small and fast steps (same speed as normal walking, but with really small steps), and I removed 99% from Z Axis motion,also 80% of jello.

Okay, it’s embarrassing if someone sees me walking this wal, but It solved my problem.

Will upload the footage to share with ou.

Best regards,

Adriano.
2017-8-8
Use props
fans47334210
lvl.1
United States

Anybody in this thread having issues with recording sound since the 3.1.14 update? I get nothing from the rear facing mic, but when recording in selfie mode, it records sound fine.
2017-8-10
Use props
fans47334210
lvl.1
United States

AlenNugi Posted at 2017-4-19 06:10
Hello everybody !

Use the Zheyun Play app with Osmo Mobile. You lose some functionality, but the app is much better.

Sorry DJI...your app sucks
2017-8-10
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

I have past the last week making tests regarding the wobble of iPhone´s OIS.

Tried everything, from different ways of walking/jogging, to software like Filmic, ProCam, the Stock camera APP and DJI Go

What I found is:

1 – The best App to use is the Stock Camera App. Had no success using all others: Disabling OIS by software turns things even worse by losing the coils inside iPhone´s camera. It wobble more that way

2 – You can decrease the problem by walking in very short and fast steps. A mix of “ninja walking” and jogging, also using the gimbal in “flashlight” position.

3 – You can not solve the problem (I could not find a solution). Even fast-walking, for me, the image is compromised. Usable, but compromised.

I understand that it´s not and Apple nor DJI problem/issue. It´s just an unfortunate “lack of lucky” when these 2 products are working together.

I just gave up using my iPhone 7 + with Osmo Mobile for walking/run shots. For that, I just revived and old iPhone 5s. It is WAY better (with no OIS)

Unfortunately, for those with no option to use another phone, I think you have an unsolvable problem. :-(
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules