7786 20 2016-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m.powley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I completed several tests of the DJI Go Osmo Mobile panorama feature yesterday. The process works well, however I really don't understand why the output resolution is so low. Maybe I am doing something wrong...
2016-9-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello sir, glad to hear that it works well, for the low resolution, we will improve it in next version, please wait patiently and upgrade it when it released, thank you again for your feedback and support.
2016-9-23
Use props
irpphoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 294432 ft
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-9-23 18:38
Hello sir, glad to hear that it works well, for the low resolution, we will improve it in next versi ...

l have an osmo mobile & have found it produces a great panorama in good size
2016-9-23
Use props
m.powley
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-9-23 11:38
Hello sir, glad to hear that it works well, for the low resolution, we will improve it in next versi ...

Thanks for the feedback, I assumed you would probably be upgrading the resolution in the near future.
2016-9-23
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

irpphoto@satlin Posted at 2016-9-23 20:14
l have an osmo mobile & have found it produces a great panorama in good size

What phone are you using? and can you give specific dimensions and file sizes? You can see the output of my file sizes here.
2016-9-23
Use props
jalexartis
lvl.2

I have taken several panoramas with my Osmo Mobile, using an iPhone 6S Plus. They are viewable in this Flickr Album [ http://bit.ly/2ctZ0mN ]. I am pleased with the results. The mobile was on a DJI Tripod, with the Extension Stick. I still await my 7+. Best!
2016-9-23
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

jalexartis Posted at 2016-9-24 09:39
I have taken several panoramas with my Osmo Mobile, using an iPhone 6S Plus. They are viewable in th ...

Yes, you've gotten the same results we're complaining about. It's not that the photos don't look good or aren't stitched together properly. The problem is with the fact that the DJI Go app outputs a 9 pic pano into a photo just the same size as yours, 1855 x 1326. Your horizontal 180 panos are 4435 x 771 at 877kb (heavily compressed). The camera on my Note 7 takes a single pic with the dimensions of 4032 x 2268 at 7.2MB so in theory the stitched 9 pic pano should have an output dimension of somewhere around 12,000 x 6000 give or take for overlap while stitching together and the 180 degree panos will be around 2200 on the short side (and on my native app 26MB). Why make the output file smaller than a single pic??

The DJI Go photos are so heavily compressed and small there's little room for editing like cropping or color correction because quality will deteriorate. Even the single pics taken with the DJI app are compressed and a lesser file size than those taken with my native camera app. The DJI Go app is without a doubt crippling the capabilities of the camera, it's absurd! Mobile phone cameras have come a long way and the photo quality is so good now that I rarely use my DSLR anymore when traveling and heavily rely on my phone for pics and video. It's bad enough that (although my phone takes 4k video) there is no 4k video option for me in the DJI app and now DJI has crippled the pano capabilities, and photos in general, as well when using their app. The panos would be a great feature for vacation pics and beautiful printable landscape photos but instead it's only good for posting to social media sites.

So far I've not had much use for the DJI Go app, thought I'd get one useful function out of it (pano), not so much! The least DJI could do is make the shutter buttons work with any app like any $20 selfie stick can do, in the meanwhile at least there are voice commands for the native camera app on my phone which is fine for most settings.
2016-9-24
Use props
jalexartis
lvl.2

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-24 22:07
Yes, you've gotten the same results we're complaining about. It's not that the photos don't look g ...

Sure, I understand and read that DJI is working on a resolution. Thanks!
2016-9-24
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

jalexartis Posted at 2016-9-24 23:29
Sure, I understand and read that DJI is working on a resolution. Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I read too. But I also read many months ago that a firmware update for the original Osmo was just around the corner but still hasn't dropped. Fingers crossed that they will actually address this stuff since it's just an app issue. Time will tell!
2016-9-24
Use props
jalexartis
lvl.2

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-25 02:26
Yeah, that's what I read too. But I also read many months ago that a firmware update for the origi ...

I agree with you...
2016-9-24
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-24 18:07
Yes, you've gotten the same results we're complaining about. It's not that the photos don't look g ...

it's great to hear that DJI is working on something, but here's why I think they haven't implemented it in the meantime - you know how long it takes for DJI go to stitch a 9 frame pano on your phone right now? Now imagine how long it would take to stitch it in full/high res.

Now imagine how long you have to wait in between shots. At the current resolution, it takes around 30s to stitch. I suspect going full res would render the Osmo Mobile / DJI Go useless for at least 2 minutes between shots, not something that would sit well with other users.

If DJI offers the option between low, high and full res, and caution people that it would take X, Y and Z minutes when they choose that option, along with the implication on battery life of the phone (stitching takes up quite a bit of processing power), that would be great
2016-9-24
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

As an alternative, it would be great if DJI could offer the option between in-camera stitching, in addition to shooting 9 frames in DNG, which can be imported into a Win/Mac system and stitched using LR/PS/APG/etc. I'd even be happy to pay for a separate mobile app to do hi-res stitching - not everyone needs them, and people who want a tool for improved output shouldn't be shy to pay for better tools, which DJI isn't obliged to provide (in the same way that it's downright ridiculous for DJI to bundle LR/PS/ Adobe CC with their products as it just adds to costs which impact pricing and therefore sales)
2016-9-25
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2
United States

ghoonk Posted at 2016-9-25 03:39
it's great to hear that DJI is working on something, but here's why I think they haven't implement ...

Well I don't know why the DJI Go app is so sluggish stitching photos. When I do a 180 degree pano with my Note 7 soon as I hit the stop button the pic is instantly ready at full resolution.

You are correct tho that they should make options for what quality output file the user wants for those that have less powerful hardware. It's funny how DJI has these great ideas but never put the polish on them. Hopefully they remedy this because it's a nice feature that I really have no use for at this point!

Also, the DJI Go app is capable of snapping photos as fast as I can push the shutter button, which is what's being done with a pano) so they should at least make an option to save the original photos when taking a 9 pic pano then take care of post processing in the background. At least then I could stitch them together myself.  
2016-9-25
Use props
busy
New

United Kingdom

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-25 18:23
Well I don't know why the DJI Go app is so sluggish stitching photos. When I do a 180 degree pano  ...

If you look on the MicroSD card you will find all the pictures used to make each panorama - there is even a folder for each set of files!
2016-10-3
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

busy Posted at 2016-10-3 17:08
If you look on the MicroSD card you will find all the pictures used to make each panorama - there  ...

Just discovered it! Thanks for the tip!
2016-10-8
Use props
IxW6vcQWbnG1
New

United States

Can anyone tell me for sure about two features of the Osmo Mobile before I purchase?

1) Is it capable of doing SINGLE ROW 360 degree photos? As a real estate photographer, this is primarily what I need.
2) Has anyone discovered a way to shoot 4K video through the app? If not, is it possible to just use the 4K video on my phone and not run it through the app?

Thanks in advance for the help! Hope to have one of these in my hot little hands very soon.

REphotos.co
2016-10-10
Use props
m.powley
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IxW6vcQWbnG1 Posted at 2016-10-10 15:34
Can anyone tell me for sure about two features of the Osmo Mobile before I purchase?

1) Is it capab ...

1) You cant get a full 360 due to axis limitations, the maximum panorama is 330. The output size will vary due to the stitch algorithm and, on iOS at least, you have a low, medium and high quality option for panorama.
2) I assume you are asking about Android which I cant comment on but using iOS I shoot 4k in either the DJI Go or Filmic Pro apps. The early 4k "judder" issues on iOS seem to have been resolved in the last DJI Go update.
2016-10-11
Use props
IxW6vcQWbnG1
New

United States

m.powley@virgin Posted at 2016-10-11 18:23
1) You cant get a full 360 due to axis limitations, the maximum panorama is 330. The output size wi ...

Thank you m.powley! Really appreciate the response. I think this has actually convinced me to go with the Osmo instead of Osmo Mobile. I am pretty sure Osmo has the full pano option...about to play around with a friend's Osmo to make sure, and searching them up on Craigslist to look for a "slightly used" option.

Thanks again!
2016-10-11
Use props
nhoover
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3458045 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-9-23 02:38
Hello sir, glad to hear that it works well, for the low resolution, we will improve it in next version, please wait patiently and upgrade it when it released, thank you again for your feedback and support.

Just got my Osmo Mobile and tried out the Panorama modes using my Nexus 5x. I can live with the 330 degree limitation but the resolution is pretty low. It defaulted to Low quality mode which is ridiculous and should be removed from the app. Are you kidding? 411 pixels high in 2016?! In High quality mode they are much better but still using 8 images we're only getting 26 megapixels out. Not impressive. The 3 row 9 shot mode is useless at 6.2 megapixels. That's 9 shots of 12 megapixels each.

So I would like to just stitch the images myself externally using one of several software packages I've purchased. But I can't! You only get out the final image not the individual shots so you CAN'T STITCH THEM YOURSELF!! Is this a tremendous fail or am I missing a setting? I can't believe this is so poorly implemented. PLEASE fix ASAP.

BTW, The motion time lapses work great and I have no trouble shooting in 4k using the Go app.
2016-12-5
Use props
TomiT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 722343 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I also think that the resolution is too low in panoramas. I undrstand that stitching reduces size, but this is too much.

DJI Osmo Mobile 2
firmware version 2.1.0.20
DJI Go app version 3.1.28(2861)
iOS version 11.2.6
iPhone 7+

Normal photo size 4032x3024
9-shot panorama size 4378x1490

9-shot panorama should be about twice the normal image size (ap. 8000x2800).

2018-3-2
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

TomiT Posted at 2018-3-2 05:15
I also think that the resolution is too low in panoramas. I undrstand that stitching reduces size, but this is too much.

DJI Osmo Mobile 2

I noticed this problem too...
https://forum.dji.com/thread-136648-1-1.html
..sadly, DJI didn't really engage on the issue.
2018-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules