Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA Remote Pilot Certification
1377 6 2016-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft

My Phantom 3 drone is already registered as a commercial use UAV with the FAA and I have obtained a SUAS Remote Pilot Certification from the FAA. Since I am required byFAA regulations to get ATC clearance to fly in controlled airspace is there any way to have my UAV permanently unlocked so that I do not have to go through DJI's unlocking procedure.

2016-9-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

For yellow authorization zones you can self authorize and you can do the same airport 30 times so you have a month of uninterrupted flight. Or if you are wanted to fly any yellow zone airports then you can unlock each one for whichever day you want to fly there.
If the airport is Red, then you need to email FlySafe@dji.com and request which airport you want to fly at and they will send you forms to fill to get authorization to fly at that airport.
As far as getting permanently unlocked airports, they will not do that.
I am a private pilot, 333 exemption holder, aircraft registered with N-number (commercial use), and a DJI employee and I have to get authorization each time from FlySafe.
2016-9-23
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
United States

That is ludicrous. The FAA is the governing Authority on use of National Airspace in the United States, not DJI. In addition, when I purchased my Phantom 3 UAV the information about operating the drone did not include these restrictions. DJI has no right to impose these restrictions, anymore than an Auto Manufacturer has to impose speed restrictions on there vehicles.
   I hope DJI will be able to accommodate those of us who have spent time and money to obtain FAA Remote Pilot Certifications. It would seem like the logical thing to do.
2016-9-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

SpecialProjects Posted at 2016-9-24 01:13
That is ludicrous. The FAA is the governing Authority on use of National Airspace in the United Stat ...

Most all airports including military ones are yellow zones and can be self authorized. The red zones need special permission from DJI.
And the FAA does now allow it without authorization.
So DJI will accommodate you, it will just take extra steps.
If the airport authority at that particular airport will allow you to fly in their airspace, then DJI will also. What is the issue with that.
DJI just wants you to fly safe and make you accountable if you fly somewhere.
2016-9-23
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3

I live near a small regional Airport: Johnson County Executive in Olathe, Kansas. It is a Red Zone according to DJI. It is a Class D Airspace, that averages less then 143 flight operations in a 24 hour period. It is definitely not a critical airspace like Kansas City International Airport. And yes I do have to get permission to fly there by the ATC at that airport but that has nothing to do with DJI.
   In addition the Johnson County Airport Authority has already established a method to request clearance through their web site which includes filing a "flight plan" with them and then contacting the control tower via phne.

If most airports are self  authorized, why is this one coded red?

2016-9-23
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

DJI is not going to change their policy.  They consider it a safety and possibly a liability issue.  Sounds like you biggest complaint is the ONE airport you live closest to.  Stop complaining about something that is not going to change, follow DJI-Kens instructions, fill out the paperwork, and move on.
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI Tom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the post. When the FAA launched the FAA cert last year, there was very little info other than the FAA site which was like most government sites, too convoluted and difficult to follow. So as the months went by more material and opinions about the exam and cert became available till now there's stuff all over the place which can make preparation equally confusing. So, I searched for tools that could simplify my learning process without costing me a bunch of money and time. One of the tools I found, was a very useful Googleplay app for $4 called UAS107 ( @ https://play.google.com/store/ap ... otix.labs&hl=en) combined with a few well done Youtube videos. Made my preparation for the exam much easier. I focused my studies for a little over a week and guess what, I passed my exam the first attempt.  Simple study tools can make preparation easy and fun at the same time which I hear a little of in your article. Thanks for sharing!
2017-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules