All US Phantoms Have a Warranty !! DONE !
2522 18 2016-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

This covered by the rules of the Federal Trade Commision.
And I Quote.

"Implied warranties are created by state law, and all states have them. Almost every purchase you make is covered by an implied warranty."

"If your purchase does not come with a written warranty, it is still covered by implied warranties unless the product is marked "as is," or the seller otherwise indicates in writing that no warranty is given. Several states, including Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Vermont, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia, do not permit "as is" sales."

Putting a posting on a website is not enough.
If they were to deny you a valid warranty repair they would be running a fowl of the FTC.
The FTC could stop all sales by DJI in the US.

If it has a warranty card in the box or the manual speaks of warranty they don't have a leg to stand on.
The box has to be clearly marked "as is" or "no warranty".

2016-9-24
Use props
roger.crawford
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

DJI offers a warranty in the US, just if bought from an authorized reseller. That's legal.
2016-9-24
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
United States

" just if bought from an authorized reseller. That's legal."
No it's not.
They cannot put those type of restrictions on it unless it is clearly marked on the box "as is" or No warranty".
They can attempt to buffalo you into believing you have no warranty.

And I quote from Consumer Law
"Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren't allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. "

and
"(1) unless the circumstances indicate otherwise all implied warranties are excluded by expressions like "as is," "with all faults," or other language which in common understanding calls the buyer's attention to the exclusion of warranties and makes plain that there is no implied warranty; and

(2) when the buyer before entering into the contract has examined the goods or the sample or model as fully as he desired or has refused to examine the goods there is no implied warranty with regard to defects which an examination ought in the circumstances to have revealed to him;"

Were you allowed to examine your Phantom BEFORE you purchased it ? No so the implied warranty is in effect.
Did you REFUSE to examine your Phantom before you purchased it ? No so the implied warranty is in effect.

And
"to exclude or modify the implied warranty of merchantability or any part of it the language must mention merchantability and in case of a writing must be conspicuous, and to exclude or modify any implied warranty of fitness the exclusion must be by a writing and conspicuous."

Was your box marked as "no warranty" ? No then you have an implied warranty.

DJI can claim what ever they want.
But in the US there is an implied warranty unless the box is marked.
2016-9-24
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

I must have missed an earlier point. Did someone say that there was no warranty in the USA? I don't recall anyone ever saying anything like that.
2016-9-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-9-25 16:34
I must have missed an earlier point. Did someone say that there was no warranty in the USA? I don't  ...

DJI are saying that their products do not carry a warranty unless purchased from a DJI authorised seller.
2016-9-24
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-9-24
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-24
Use props
Grabo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26296 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-25 07:40
DJI are saying that their products do not carry a warranty unless purchased from a DJI authorised  ...

Hi newbie here so if you buy a new drone from none authorised dealer ie eBay etc there would be no warranty why is this if the drone is new and Dji must have supplied them or are these drones seconds or returns and Dji ships them to these sellers just curios  
2016-9-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Grabo Posted at 2016-9-25 17:42
Hi newbie here so if you buy a new drone from none authorised dealer ie eBay etc there would be no ...

It's a USA thing ... not applicable for teh rest of the world.
2016-9-24
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-25 17:54
It's a USA thing ... not applicable for teh rest of the world.

I don't believe that's the case at all. Many of the units from unauthorised dealers  in Australia are gray imports that are not supplied by DJI Australia (they are imported directly from overseas).  Under those circumstances, the  local seller may have to provide a warranty of some kind but DJI  Australia is under no obligation to do so. I believe it would likely be the same for any gray imports that are sold by unauthorised dealers in the USA.
2016-9-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not familiar with US consumer law, but it seems to be similar to UK, if that's the case then the contract of sale is with the dealer, not DJI.

2016-9-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-9-25 19:00
I don't believe that's the case at all. Many of the units from unauthorised dealers  in Australia  ...

"I believe it would likely be the same for any gray imports that are sold by unauthorised dealers in the USA"

When DJI announced this back in early August, they said:
For customers in North America, please note: DJI products purchased after July 18th, 2016 are covered under warranty only if they are purchased from DJI authorized dealers.
2016-9-25
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-25 19:40
"For customers in North America, please note: DJI products purchased after July 18th, 2016 are covered under warranty only if they are purchased from DJI authorized dealers."

Sounds  plausible and perfectly reasonable. The seller may have to provide some kind of consumer warranty under legislation but why would DJI USA be expected to provide  a warranty on a device which was imported  into the USA directly by some unauthorised seller?
2016-9-25
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-25
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
United States

I think that DJI is selling to first world countries using a third world mindset.
I just checked my original box and papers.
Nowhere does it mention anything about any warranty at all.
But under US laws they still have implied warranties they must uphold.
Whens the last time you bought a product with no warranty paperwork inside ?

All it would take is one pissed customer to contact their state attorney generals office and a letter from them would jerk a knot in DJI's tie.
There have been cases where products have been banned from sale in different states by attorney generals offices.
But I don't expect it to come to anything like that.
I think DJI knows they are skating on the line and will protect the greater good of their company.
Even they know a couple of replaced drones at a cost of $50 each from China is far cheaper than thousands of lost sales.
2016-9-25
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-25
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I don't understand why all the fuss about the clerical definition / application of their Warranty Policy.

This seems like a scapegoat claim most likely on a crash from someone who happened to purchase their product from an un-authorized reseller which most likely resulted in a loss.

In my experience I would say that the great majority of all crashes are pilot related errors. Warranty does not cover this.

If a warranty is so important to you - Check out the 3rd party companies like State Farm. They insured my P3P for $75/year here in Florida, USA.
2016-9-25
Use props
Air America Web
lvl.1
United States

Warranty is the most important part when you are investing a thousand dollars or more on a product.

Should not matter where the product is purchased when it comes to warranty.
The million dollar question is how unauthorized dealers have "new" unopened USA Phantom 4 products listed on eBay. Where did they come from?
Is DJI dumping seconds, refurbished or defective stock in the US they don't want to warranty?
Saying dealer is unauthorized constitutes no warranty does potentially violate state and federal laws.

Unless product is out of manufacture warranty period, fake, stolen, tampered with or damaged should be the only grounds for denial of warranty.
Second, unauthorized dealers should not be allowed to sell "NEW UNOPENED" DJI products. Especially on mainstream retail channels like Amazon and eBay.

I am personally a victim of unauthorized dealer who did not disclose DJI's new policy "No Warranty" on Phantom 4 purchased Sept 19, 2016
Product purchased new out of the box was defective. Had a noisy fan motor and would not launch missions.

Support team should have requested and verified serial number and informed me if their was a problem.
Instead they made me believe my problem was Android tablet and end user error. 72 days later after buying new tablets and extensive study of Phantom
decided to send unit back to DJI for an evaluation. First call to DJI I was told an email would be sent with return instructions. 4 hours later called them back when I did not receive email.
Verified email address and was told network was down. Third contact by online support form. No response and finally Online chat told me "NO WARRANTY" because I did not buy directly from DJI.

Obvious dealer wronged me. Hope to get my money back.
Countless hours of spent on a new defective unit out of the box. USA Product - NEW

"The FTC could stop all sales by DJI in the US."
Hope this does not happen! Love these drones just want one that works with a reasonable warranty.

2016-12-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Air America Web Posted at 2016-12-5 16:06
Warranty is the most important part when you are investing a thousand dollars or more on a product.

I look at it from a different angle, I don't believe DJI is out to deprive people of a warranty, nor to evade their responsibilities in terms of the warranty, rather they are really saying 'Don't buy from dodgy dealers who will not honour the warranty, but from people we have authorised to sell our products who will help you if there is a problem'.'

Any manufacturer expects the people who on-sell or distribute their products to provide a first-response to any issue, this is normal business practice. If, for example, you buy from someone like Apple or Bestbuy, you get that level or serive. But dodgy dealers selloing on eBay or such don't provide that level or service.

There have been a number of cases on this forum where DJI have looked after customers who lost their aircraft under dubious circumstances, so I believe they do try to look after their customers.

Another thing to remember is that warranty service costs money. The cost of it is built into the price of the object and paid for by the distributor or agent as well as the final customer. If a dodgy seller bypasses that cost, then it is understandable why the manufacturer is reluctant to provide warranty service.

2016-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules