Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Safety Sign
11999 15 2016-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

Not being too impressd with the drone safety signs that were avaliable to buy, I decided to make my own and came up with these two designs that are applied to a simple plastic a-frame.

Mockup

Just wanted to see what you guys think and if anyone would be interested in one?

I'm going to get the design printed on laminate vinyl most likely for durability.

Drone Safety sign.jpg
Drone Safety sign2.jpg
IMG_6777.JPG
2016-9-24
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Well said..... "Avoid talking to pilot during operation"
2016-9-25
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

A bit too pretentious for me, pointing out the obvious with a "stand back everyone, I have a DRONE" sign. I think any drone haters out there will be certain to find an excuse to complain when they see those signs. Definitely not good PR for us. I try to take a friendlier approach and have a chat with whoever stops by, surely this sends a better message than a sign telling people not to talk to you because you are playing with your toy, a sure fire way to get someones back up!  
2016-9-25
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

I think is good.
Do you part before thinking about others will do or think.

I'll be stealing this and making my own print for sure.
2016-9-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nicely done MS

Thank you for sharing your ideas regarding safety!!

Rich
2016-9-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

markaguille Posted at 2016-9-25 06:24
A bit too pretentious for me, pointing out the obvious with a "stand back everyone, I have a DRONE"  ...

Mark , I agree, mine would say " Like my drone,  dont be afraid c'mon over lets talk  " Most people are curious and quite nice .  

donnie
2016-9-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

I like the general Idea, but maybe a more friendly  approach,

Like  " Just for safety , keep back a bit and I will be happy to talk with you when I land "  Or something to that effect.  I just think people might get the wrong Impression if it is to Harsh.

Well executed , just needs a bit of a tweak in my opinion.  Keep it light and Friendly

donnie
2016-9-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Back off Man..... I'm a Pilot !

markaguille Posted at 2016-9-25 06:24
A bit too pretentious for me, pointing out the obvious with a "stand back everyone, I have a DRONE"  ...

2016-9-25
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

markaguille Posted at 2016-9-25 19:24

I probably should have said that this would mainly be used when doing commercial work. While I love chatting all things drone when I'm out flying for myself, I would prefer people keep clear if I'm on the clock, especially with the client near by.

I think that the general public does see drones as "toys" and relatively harmless, while aviation safety authorities see them as relatively dangerous aircraft. I'm not sure what the law is where you guys are flying, but here in Australia you cannot fly (even as a hobby pilot) within 30m of people. This becomes a big problem if someone sees you flying and decided to come have a chat with you, especially when it's within 30m of where you're planning to land. I always tell people to step back when I'm coming in to land, but it hasn't stopped kids running toward it, or the curious onlooker wanting a closer look. It's seriously unsafe, especially with the Inspire weighing in at 3.6Kg if you hit someone with it they will be injured, there's no way around that.

At least if you have a clear warning sign if there is an accident and you do have a sign out you can prove to the aviation safety authority that you did take steps in minimising the risk.

If your sign said "C'mon over, don't be afraid lets talk" then you're clearly in violation of the aviation law and increasing the risk to the public. That's how you give a bad name to drone community in my opinion.
2016-9-25
Use props
lukasanderson19
lvl.1

Germany

i think it's fine, it's to the point, it does exactly what it needs too. but i do think the first image is both clearer and more official looking, the second one looks too much like an illustration.
2016-11-3
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

I'm going to put up a sign that says, "FREE VASECTOMIES ...... Talk to the pilot for more information"
2016-11-3
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrSilicon Posted at 2016-9-25 20:23
I probably should have said that this would mainly be used when doing commercial work. While I love chatting all things drone when I'm out flying for myself, I would prefer people keep clear if I'm on the clock, especially with the client near by.

I think that the general public does see drones as "toys" and relatively harmless, while aviation safety authorities see them as relatively dangerous aircraft. I'm not sure what the law is where you guys are flying, but here in Australia you cannot fly (even as a hobby pilot) within 30m of people. This becomes a big problem if someone sees you flying and decided to come have a chat with you, especially when it's within 30m of where you're planning to land. I always tell people to step back when I'm coming in to land, but it hasn't stopped kids running toward it, or the curious onlooker wanting a closer look. It's seriously unsafe, especially with the Inspire weighing in at 3.6Kg if you hit someone with it they will be injured, there's no way around that.

I agree 100% with you brah... it really irks me when on a job concentrating on getting close to a structure for inspection or what have you - then someone comes over and starts to ask all sorts of questions or worse, starts an argument (I am always polite and respectful and try to tell them I would be more than happy to chat about my birds after I land... which is usually enough for the curious, but the belligerent continue to berate you - these people I ignore after offering to talk after the job, as past experience has taught me not to get into it with them while flying - I also wear a yellow reflective vest and pin my FAA license to the outside of vest... this sign would also help... people then assume you are legit doing survey or DOT work etc.
2018-1-5
Use props
SteveInYa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144364 ft

Those are awesome! I will take 5 of them right now how much? Steverice45@comcast.net
2018-6-19
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I likey, though maybe markaguille is right, a bit heavy handed, however I would have loved something like that a while back when some idiots, sadly also drone aficionados, came into my back yard like it was cool as I was practicing landing on a fairly small table on a windy day and proceeded to startle the heck out of me with "Hi we fly drones too, we were just flying across the way" and of course I was inches from crashing my Inspire, but I had enough control to say " oh that's nice, now , you are trespassing on private property, please leave!"
2018-6-19
Use props
Ceeps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87441 ft
United Kingdom

did you print this on a5?
2018-10-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft