ISSUE! Indicator lights are different colors after shell replacement
2688 9 2015-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robertkleven
lvl.1
United States

Okay... so I crashed my new Phantom 2 Vision on my second flight, I was practicing manuevers in the backyard when a prop hit a limb (only about 8-10 feet high) and sent it to the ground. Camera came off, battery came out, little grass stain... and realized later it had bent one of the arms. After researching for 30 seconds realized it was fairly common and ordered a new shell.

After replacing the new shell... updating the software, when I start it up it goes through it's initial sequence with all 4 of the indicator lights, then the back two lights nearest the battery are flashing but rather than being the same color one is yellow and one is red.  ??

I thought I read that it may need compass calibration....
When I flip the switch 10 times to start compass cailbration, I'm not getting the yellow lights like it used to. Eventually it starts flashing green on the left rear light.

Anyone have any idea?

flashing 1 yellow 1 red

flashing 1 yellow 1 red

Flashing 1 green

Flashing 1 green
2015-1-31
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yeah, the flight controller is definitely trying to tell you something!

Three questions:
   1) What messages, if any, do you get when you plug into the Vision Assistant?
   2) Did you happen to notice if it was doing this BEFORE your replaced the shell?
   3) A clarification, are you implying you completely "gutted" the Phantom and then replaced everything in the new shell or did you just replace the top part of the shell?

Several possibilities.  You may have damaged one of the ESC's, motors or both in the crash and/or in the process of gutting and replacing.  Or, you may have simply incorrectly reattached on of the connectors.  
2015-1-31
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Will add most people that hit a prop on anything has had an esc go bad.
2015-2-1
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

Hong Kong

No light on the two front LEDs? And the malfunction of the back LED... You could ask for inspection of the support center.
Or if it's out of warranty, you could try replace another ESC to see if that's OK
2015-2-1
Use props
robertkleven
lvl.1
United States

Hey all... thanks for the replies. The response from DJI was to calibrate IMU, which I did along with the new update.
To answer questions from above:
1) no special messages on the vision assistant
2) I'm pretty positive it wasn't doing that before I replaced. This was a brand new unit, my second flight and everything was working perfectly.
3) I did indeed "gut" the phantom and replaced everything in the a complete new shell, was very careful with all connections

In regards to the ESCs... what are they (lol)?
In regards to the motors... even with this indicator anomaly the unit will fly, not sure if that matters. I've only tested it just enough to see I  can get it in the air and maneuver slightly above the ground (less than 30 seconds). I'm afraid to test it more thoroughly since I'm not sure (and don't think) it's connecting to GPS property (don't want to crash again or have it fly away).

AThe crash wasn't that hard, only about 8-10 feet in the air into the grass... was enough to bend one of the plastic arms and made the prop touch the body. The props were barely even affected... It seems if this crash caused a part to fail other than the shell, it must be a pretty delicate item.
2015-2-5
Use props
robertkleven
lvl.1
United States

Here's an image of the arm that was slightly bent after the crash, please bear in mind I had already unscrewed the ESC during the dis-assembly (it was still securely screwed in place).... and took the photo just to document what I was doing  (figured out was ESC is..lol), there really was very little movement from the bend. And no (obvious) indication the ESC was affected... but I guess it's not impossible.

Here's a direct link to the photo on my dropbox account... ?dl=0
bent arm.JPG
2015-2-5
Use props
jasonsmith99.ho
New

United Kingdom

robertkleven@gm Posted at 2015-2-5 23:32
Here's an image of the arm that was slightly bent after the crash, please bear in mind I had alrea ...

I have had this exact same problem today. After having a crash with the phantom 2 and bending in an arm (the same one as shown above), I purchased a new shell and this morning moved over all the electronics to the new shell. Immediately after going through the start up cycle, the light on the arm which was originally damaged flashes green, whilst the other back arm flashes yellow.
Anyone got any answers for this?
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jasonsmith99.ho Posted at 2015-2-10 22:52
I have had this exact same problem today. After having a crash with the phantom 2 and bending in a ...

Did you disconnect the ESC plugs to the controller before you transferred everything to the new shell?
2015-2-10
Use props
dkbaj
New

Singapore

Hi all,

Was there a resolution for this ? I also have the same issue with the lights flashing one red and one yellow. Also one green when in flight.

Only difference is that I didn't change shell after a crash.

Any help would be great and thanks I'm advance
2015-2-22
Use props
ahebert
lvl.1

United States

The LED under the ESC are one chip RGB, looking at the behavior describe in some previous post it's seems that the green part of the LEd is not working. that can happen when the ESC circuit board was bend with the arm. Being surface mount LED, its pretty easy to crack a soldering traces. you can always remove the ESC and look for some crack on some trace or the easiest way would be to change the ESC.
Or you can swap them to be sure the problem id with the ESC.
2015-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules