Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 repair... WORST customer service EVER....
12Next >
12017 56 2016-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcchavez
lvl.1

United States

I dont know where else to file this on the forum other than on the product I have an issue with.  After a hard landing, the upper gimbal mount cracked, resulting in the "Gimbal Overload" Error.  I took apart the upper mount area and saw the exctent of the damage- cracked upper mount, no severed cables, no broken board, no bent arm.  I called DJI and got an RMA # to send in my gimbal.  I literally live 3 miles frrom the repair center and offered to take it in, but sending it via UPS is the only way.  Sent it in on August 28th and STILL DONT HAVE MY X5 Gimbal back.....

I reeived the estimate for repair- totaling $312 to fix the gimbal!  Here is a breakdown of the repair:

ItemQuantityUnit Price(USD)Total Price(USD)
Yaw-axis middle shaft stick11.001.00
Zenmuse X5 gimbal yaw motor driver board124.0024.00
Zenmuse X5 yaw-axis top cover of ESC board18.008.00
yaw-axis inner shaft stick14.004.00
gimbal yaw connection board11.001.00
Zenmuse X5 yaw-axis motor component124.0024.00
Zenmuse X5 yaw-axis arm component120.0020.00
Service Charge370.00/H210.00
Freight:20.00
Total Amount:312.00
Discount:-0
DJI Care deduction:0.00
Total Payment:312.00

You read that correctly, 3 hours to take apart the 6 screws and reinstall them.  I laughed when I saw this, called DJI and got my case "escalated" after a long and tedious conversation with Jason, the customer service rep.  I asked to have someone explain to me why it takes 3 hours to fix this.  He said he would escalate it and someone would call me back in 24 hours.  This was September 3rd.  I never received a call.  Fast forward a few weeks, I realized I never heard from anyone.  I got booked for a shoot and needed the gimbal the next day.  I purchased a new one and had it overnighted to cover myself for the shoot.  After the shoot I called back and again got the same runaround... From the same person.... "So you are disputing your invoice?  Your case will be escalated...  You will hear from someone in 24 hours."  Another week goes by...  I call back on the September 21st, get Jason again and immediately ask to speak with a manager.  Apparently they ALL were "in a meeting."  They found someone else for me to talk to and after a 38 minute conversation- only hold for at least 20-  I was told an engineer would have to look at it and would get back to me either later that day or tomoorow.

ITS A WEEK LATER AND I STILL HAVENT HEARD FROM ANYONE.

DJI- what the heck???? How are you guys going to compensate me for holding onto this producut for almost a month???  Anyone else have such great customer service from this company???  

Proof I bought another one

Proof I bought another one
IMG_2008.jpg
IMG_2010.jpg
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties. Could you please provide me with your case number?
I'll bring this to the attention of our support team.
2016-9-26
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Mindy-

Ironically, a minute after posting this I got an updated quote sent to my email.  No description, no notes, no explanations, just new numbers...  Case # CAS-235926-T0M1J8

Quote Date:        09-27-16
Remarks:       

Item        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD)
Zenmuse X5 yaw-axis top cover of ESC board        1        8.00        8.00
Zenmuse X5 gimbal yaw motor driver board        1        24.00        24.00
Yaw-axis central shaft limiting piece        1        1.00        1.00
Zenmuse X5 yaw-axis arm component        1        20.00        20.00
Interface board        1        1.00        1.00
Yaw-axis inner shaft limiting piece        1        4.00        4.00
Zenmuse X5 yaw-axis motor component        1        24.00        24.00
Service Charge        3        70.00/H        210.00
Freight:                        0.00
Total Amount:                        292.00
DJI Care deduction:                        0.00
Total Payment:                        292.00
2016-9-26
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

United States

And now the title of my thread was changed automatically....  It used to say "Worst customer service EVER."

What the heck happened to freedom of speech?!!??
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dcchavez Posted at 2016-9-27 11:10
Mindy-

Ironically, a minute after posting this I got an updated quote sent to my email.  No descrip ...

I'll help to look into your case and figure out what caused the delay.
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dcchavez Posted at 2016-9-27 11:10
Mindy-

Ironically, a minute after posting this I got an updated quote sent to my email.  No descrip ...

To clarify,labor costs include repair,outdoor flight test and quality control. Not only for taking apart the screws and reinstalling them.
2016-9-26
Use props
bmcoh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61283 ft
Israel

I have to admit my experience was totally different. My x5 returned yesterday after 3 weeks. I paid only for the shipment. For me - great service!
"gimbal mode reached end point" ERROR
2016-9-27
Use props
dentels
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153084 ft
Spain

I"ve had the same problem 10 months ago. DJI Europe sent the gimbal back with "no possible repair" and that was it. They kindly suggested me to buy a new gimbal paying again for an absolutly functional camera.
Recently I sent it to a local workshop where they told me it was an easy fix if I could get an spare part of that top gimbal mount, wich is becoming quite hard...
It's hard to understand how DJI didn't either offer the repair, the part, or any help at all...
2016-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dentels@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-29 01:48
I"ve had the same problem 10 months ago. DJI Europe sent the gimbal back with "no possible repair" a ...

I'm sorry for the unpleasant experience.
Could you please provide me with you case number or ticket number?
I'll help to check it again.
2016-9-29
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>

Don't get me started on this topic. I've had terrible response, next to zero follow-up on promised calls, delays, delays and more delays on everyone of my 3 DJI service events.  2 with Inspires and one with X5 OSMO.  Absolutely the worst consumer service program I've encountered, period.
2016-9-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Sorry to hear guys. If you are a professional, you'd have a backup. I've sent a crashed aircraft in before. It takes about 3 weeks no matter what is promised. If you reset your expectations, you'll spend less on your doctor's bill in the future. I recently had my own share of issues dealing with slowness of communication between different business units within repair sections but my bird came back in good shape and in the meanwhile I flew the other one.

When you get some hours of flying in, I'm sure you'll forget you posted these messages. Chill guys.
2016-9-30
Use props
dentels
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153084 ft
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-29 10:33
I'm sorry for the unpleasant experience.
Could you please provide me with you case number or ticke ...

Hello Mindy, thanks for the response. All the info I've had from my spanish official dealer(rc-innovations) is the following pic supposedly coming from DJI Europe (since they refused to give any more info about the repairprocess). image002.png
That's the gimbal, actually the exact same problem as seen in this post.
rsz_2016-09-27_111233.jpg

There's probably not enough info to check my repair again, but I'd really appreciate if you could tell me if it could be sent for repair, or even what's the exact part I would need to replace.
Still can't understand how the only possible option I was given was to buy a new one...(1.800€ at that time).
2016-10-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

davidbsamuels Posted at 2016-10-1 09:21
Don't get me started on this topic. I've had terrible response, next to zero follow-up on promised c ...

Could you please provide a case number for your most recent repair service?
2016-10-1
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Pretty clear that the X5 is under-engineered in this area. Just a few more grams of metal in that casting would have made it much more rugged and suitable for this use case.
Just a small knock and that casting cracks.  
2016-10-1
Use props
steven.r.espino
New
Flight distance : 305358 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-1 19:38
Pretty clear that the X5 is under-engineered in this area. Just a few more grams of metal in that ca ...
Same problem here....sooooo sad...
2016-10-4
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

United States

Well- this just won't go away... After a ton of back and forth, I opted to just pay the $300 and move forward with this terrible ordeal. I was on a shoot in Miami when the repaired gimbal was delivered to my house. A week later, I opened the box and pulled out the gimbal to inspect. I noticed the actual black case the X5 sits in was scratched up terribly, (When this all started, I bought a second X5 and sent in the damaged one to be repaired in the new box.) The other thing that struck me as odd was a gold sticker and a CAS number on the top of the box. The Case number did not match my case number for this repair. Upon removing the gimbal, I noticed the upper mount is was stiffer and more difficult to turn than the new one. I looked at the serial number and it didn't match mine- I think DJI sent me back someone else's product.

When I emailed DJI almost a week ago, I got this canned response back:

Dear DC,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are so sorry to hear what happened to your unit. We do understand how you feel and we are really sorry for this inconvenience you are experiencing right now.

With your concern, we will coordinate with the facility about this matter and as soon there is an update you will be notified through your email.

Thank you for your patience and consideration.

If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

Myra

DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT

As you can guess, DJI has not contacted me back yet. I am currently sitting on hold- have been on the phone for OVER AN HOUR.... After the initial 15 minutes of waiting (despite being #1 in the queue)  I spoke to one person and he said he would transfer me to a supervisor. Here I sit, and nothing. I have never had such a horrible customer experience / repair job in any type of product - EVER.

HELP DJI!

Case Bottom

Case Bottom

Case Top

Case Top

Seriously...

Seriously...
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dcchavez Posted at 2016-10-25 09:05
Well- this just won't go away... After a ton of back and forth, I opted to just pay the $300 and mov ...

I understand how frustrating that must be.
I'll help to escalate the case for you.
2016-10-24
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-25 11:37
I understand how frustrating that must be.
I'll help to escalate the case for you.

If you look back at the history of my case, this has been escalated 4 times now.  To be honest, that doesn't really mean much...
2016-10-24
Use props
unsatisfied

Hong Kong

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-24
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Well, this gets better and better....  Bait and switch from DJI.

Only after posting on this forum did I get a phone call from Marshall - customer service at DJI...  For 30 minutes, he talked me in circles- ultimately telling me that the camera in my hand is not my original camera, that the tech decided to replace the gimbal/camera rather than fixing it.  He couldn’t give me any sort of solid answer as to why they charged me for a series of parts, 3 hours of labor and instead, sent me a different camera.  

Never once was I told they were going to send a new camera, otherwise, I would have never agreed to it.  I am EXTREMELY careful with ALL my gear (RED Epic Dragon, Canon CN-E Cinema Lenses, jibs, sliders, drones etc.) so I would not have agreed to have them send me back a refurbished product.  I would have wanted my repaired camera- nothing else.  I purchased my Inspire / X5 brand new and have taken meticulous care of it- which is ironic, being that I handle the gear with extreme care, and still manage to crack the upper motor mount.  Marshall said the product is brand new, but I have a very hard time believing that, as the upper mount on this gimbal is much firmer while spinning than the new X5 I purchased.  It sounds like the ribbon cable is binding up inside as it spins.

I am just baffled that even after all this drama, the ONLY way I can get a new case and replacement gimbal is to send it in via FedEx- even though I live under 5 miles from the repair facility.  THEN, they have a 7 business day turnaround to “check in, assess product, test etc” before they can send me a replacement gimbal.  Now, because DJI is such a terrible company, I have to wait another 2 weeks to get a replacement.  Apparently Marshall is the top of the “customer facing” customer service, and no one else could be spoken to in order to make this better.   He basically sat there, took all the comments I gave him, and kept going back to the “we can start the RMA process” line over and over again.  I have never been so frustrated with a company, feeling like my PROFESSIONAL equipment is being held hostage due to some terrible company.  It makes me appreciate working with companies like RED Digital Cinema that actually value their customers, understand they are working professionals and work efficiently to resolve customer concerns.

This is officially the last DJI product I will ever own.  Let me know if anyone files a class action lawsuit against these idiots for making an upper gimbal mount not capable of supporting the additional weight of the X5.  

Lets see how long it takes to get a “new” camera back in my hands…
2016-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

" I have never been so frustrated with a company, feeling like my PROFESSIONAL equipment is being held hostage due to some terrible company."

Therein lies the issue OP.
Despite all the marketing, these are not engineered to a professional grade, nor is there the requisite funding for support and customer service that you and others would like to see.
This is a cheap (by comparison to the other brands you mention) platform that was introduced to undercut the more established brands. You get what you pay for.

You just cannot expect the same experience, it's unrealistic. There is always room for their processes and approach to improve however.
2016-10-25
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-26 05:25
" I have never been so frustrated with a company, feeling like my PROFESSIONAL equipment is being he ...

1. I am not the only person with this problem: http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/warning-to-all-x5-owners.8142/  

2. Being "cheap" gives a company the right to not have decent customer service?  BTW- with my Inspire 1 Pro Kit, replacement X5, repairs and new iPad to run this "cheap product" I am in almost $8,000.  We are not talking about a toy.  Hell, even DJI says its a Professional Product. See attached image:
inspire.jpg
2016-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

Read and understand my reply OP - These aren't engineered to the same level as RED, ALEXA, etc. They also don't cost anywhere near as much.
It's a cheaper solution, designed and manufactured to a lesser level of quality and purchase price.
How they market or describe it is irrelevant.

Like comparing a Toyota or Hyundai to a BMW/Audi.

If they were truly 'Professional' from an engineering and support perspective, then your combo would have cost you $50-60K +
2016-10-25
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-26 07:13
Read and understand my reply OP - These aren't engineered to the same level as RED, ALEXA, etc. They ...

Re-read what you just wrote.  Sure, a Toyota costs less than a Porsche, but they still stand behind their product and don't give you the stink eye when you ask for help.   I have heard of a friend who had an incredible experience when calling Tom's shoes over a $40 pair of shoes they bought that started to fail due to a faulty sew line.  Not only did they send out a replacement, but they also donated another pair as well.  I get what you're saying, but I am not just going to sit here and accept terrible customer service as the norm.  
2016-10-25
Use props
unsatisfied

Hong Kong

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-25
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

dcchavez Posted at 2016-10-26 07:25
Re-read what you just wrote.  Sure, a Toyota costs less than a Porsche, but they still stand behin ...

Not asking you to accept it - just putting some context around this.
You should certainly get the service you need to get back up in the air.
2016-10-25
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-26 08:08
Not asking you to accept it - just putting some context around this.
You should certainly get the  ...

I don't need context... I get it.   I just think that your logic of "the more you pay, the more customer service you get" is flawed.  As I said before, I am almost 8K in on this kit, which is by no means "cheap."  Moving on....
2016-10-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-26 05:25
" I have never been so frustrated with a company, feeling like my PROFESSIONAL equipment is being he ...

There are some days where you sound like a thorough jerk but then, there are days where like in this post, you show genuine understanding about the psyche of this company and its business model.

Keep the good posts flowing....

2016-10-28
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>

dcchavez Posted at 2016-10-28 06:53
I don't need context... I get it.   I just think that your logic of "the more you pay, the more cu ...

Indeed, go take your business elsewhere
2016-10-28
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-28 16:56
Indeed, go take your business elsewhere

Thank you for your insightful and constructive post.
2016-10-28
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

dcchavez Posted at 2016-10-27 15:53
I don't need context... I get it.   I just think that your logic of "the more you pay, the more cu ...

You do indeed "get it".  Movin on is the only sane response.
2016-10-28
Use props
aerofilm.pt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2074570 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

dentels@gmail.c Posted at 2016-10-2 00:40
Hello Mindy, thanks for the response. All the info I've had from my spanish official dealer(rc-inn ...

Just send it directly to DJI.
Contact DJI tech support in Europe.
They will open a case for your and handle everything.

Don't go trough dealers...
I've sent my Inspire 1 to repair, they sent me a new one after payment for the repair that was not expensive.
So, for the X5 works the same way...
Try that.

Hope this helps.
2016-10-29
Use props
Diegomrd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1095525 ft
Colombia

cchavez,
This is very sad, were are the base of this company!

I have the same problem here :/
Some one knows, Where can I get this spare or replacement?
Please Help!!

https://postimg.org/image/56lffihdl/

img04.jpg
2016-11-10
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Well, this drama is still unfolding... Sent in the replacement, not repaired, gimbal that DJI sent me on October 25th, it was received on the 28th...  Before I even sent it in, DJI assured me that it would be rushed through, as this was an "elevated" case.  After no updates for a week, I called to see what in the heck was going on.  Spoke with Jameson in customer service that apologized and said he would elevate the case.  I lauged...  He said it was VERY important to fix this for me and he would call me back in 2-3 days with status.  Yes, you read that right- REALLY important and 2-3 days to call back.  This was on Friday Nov 4th.  Today is the 10th, no call, no gimbal, no nothing.  
Status still shows it as being ''repaired" even though I never even turned on the replacement gimbal you guys sent me.  How can you still be repairing it?  Everyone I spoke to on the phone said that you needed the old gimbal back before sending a new one.  It would be a simple swap with a new one, as the one you sent me was unsatisfactory.

DJI- what in the hell are you guys doing?  

I have completely lost all hope in this company.  I thought this time around (swapping out replacement for the replacement gimbal) things would go smoothly and it would be done in a few days.  Boy was I wrong.

Just give me back my gimbal so I can move on...

Current Status

Current Status
2016-11-10
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

Diegomrd Posted at 2016-11-10 21:52
cchavez,

You can't get this replacement part.  DJI are the only people on Earth that have this. They will make you pay them to buy the part and then gouge you for a technicians time to repair.  Then, they might pull a bait and switch- like they did with me- and send you a completely different gimbal all together.

Just say thank you and PRAY they use lube...  But they won't...
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Diegomrd Posted at 2016-11-10 21:52
cchavez,

Your best course of action would be to send the unit in for service. You would want to contact the North American Support Center at support.us@dji.com.
2016-11-10
Use props
dcchavez
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-11 00:42
Your best course of action would be to send the unit in for service. You would want to contact the ...

Jamie-

Any course of action for me?  What in the heck is going on over there?
2016-11-10
Use props
Inspire1propilo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 533855 ft
United States

I am Inspire 1 pro x5 customer who purchased DJI Care and I'm incredibly frustrated with this process.

I paid for expedited shipping and provided you with a return label, at a cost of ~$600.00.  You received the drone on 11/2 and assessed the damage and determined it's a warranty repair.  You informed me it would be 3-4 working days for repairs and test.   It's now 11/11, and the repairs have not even started, I called your support line twice, and both times was advised someone would contact me within 24 hours for an update and that they noted the file.  I never received any follow up and the repairs still have not been started.

I'm beginning to feel like the only way to resolve this it to call AMEX and Dispute charge for the entire drone.  You're in possession of it and are not making the repairs to the defective product.  I'd be better off purchasing a new, non-defective drone, and letting you keep your defective one.

This is my 4th DJI drone, I was a raving fan, but after this experience and seeing yours it may be my last.

Case number is: CAS-302552-R7T1Y0
2016-11-11
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Inspire1propilo Posted at 2016-11-11 05:35
I am Inspire 1 pro x5 customer who purchased DJI Care and I'm incredibly frustrated with this proces ...

Your experience is not unusual and GOOD LUCK with an AMEX dispute resolution of your issues.  
2016-11-11
Use props
Inspire1propilo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 533855 ft
United States

Movin on Posted at 2016-11-11 12:10
Your experience is not unusual and GOOD LUCK with an AMEX dispute resolution of your issues.

Greeeeaaat!
2016-11-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules