DJI Mavic looks disappointing. Stick with Phantom 4 until P5 show...
Home / MAVIC /
123Next >
13143 115 2016-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-9-29 05:34
lol i dont think gopro will suffer from sales at all. The masses buy gopro, tech/drone aware consu ...

You may be right but according to a few polls I've seen 75 % of drone buyers are leaning toward the mavic, but time will tell
2016-9-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

helidan Posted at 2016-9-29 15:30
I'm really starting to like the Mavic. The fact that it folds up so compact is a great selling point ...

I've tried just about every sunshade on the planet and in my opinion none of them work. The best thing to do is to find a shady spot to stand in while flying.
2016-9-29
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Eazy123 Posted at 2016-9-28 18:01
"2. Low battery life. According to DJI Mavic's specs page, you can clearly see that the Mavic's flig ...

Well that's what I love about the Phantom 4, is that it has a huge 6000 mAh battery in its remote transmitter. It needs to be that size and weight so that it's able to carry that much juice in the first place. Same goes for the larger capacity flight batteries, enough juice for those powerful motors to spin aggressively and keep it very stable in the air.
If I bring like 5 flight batteries with the Mavic, chances are the remote transmitter for the Mavic would have died on battery before I could even make it to the fifth flight battery.

The numbers for both it's remote transmitter and it's flight battery are suspiciously low, too low for my own personal liking. And yeah you could say that well it's a smaller drone, needs less power. But that's not always a good thing as less power will affect things such as how fast those miniature motors are spinning or how good the 4K picture quality is.

At least I know what I'm getting with the Phantom 4. I know that P4's transmitter will last for an entire day or longer and I'll have no problem flying with all six flight batteries on the P4.

With the Mavic, we don't have a clue about how it performs as of yet. I'll cut it some slack though and wait to see how it'll do throughout the coming months.

2016-9-29
Use props
Nfbarreto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779839 ft
Spain

I'm a little confused with the unconsistent quality of the footage seen online in these earlier units.
Jon Olson's and iJustine videos shown during the event are quite good and the image has an appropriate level of sharpness and looks focused.

However, some other earlier reviewers footage seem to suffer from the blurry/soft look
Look at Casey's comparison between the P4 and Mavic. There is quite a substantial difference between the two, to the point that I would say the Mavic footage is unusable.

Now, check this footage, also filmed with the Mavic, looks a lot sharper and a lot like what you'd expect from a P4.

So does Casey have a defective unit or is there something that I'm missing ?

2016-9-29
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

DJi MAVIC vs. PHANTOM 4 vs. GOPRO KARMA side by side comparison in 4k

not sure if the softer image bugs me or not now im curious what to karma quality is, it's very small and practical but image is everything and the soft image kind of bugs me personally lol
2016-9-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-29 12:55
I honestly think this Mavic will out number  any other drone sales by an extremely LARGE margin.
W ...

Ken ..
Two questions I haven't been able to find answers for are:
Speed
Yes I know the Mavic has a Max Speed of 40 mph (65 kph) in Sport mode
But I'm assumiong that in sport mode it eats the battery faster like the P4 - is that correct?
How fast does the Mavic travel when it isn't in sport mode?

Picture quality
As a photographer picture quality is one of the most important features.
Can we see some full size images from the Mavic and if possible comparison shots from a Phantom please?
2016-9-29
Use props
Nfbarreto
lvl.4
Spain

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-9-29 22:46

On the sample shown here alone, the Mavic is a no go for me. However, I don't know if it's a buggy unit, autofocus not set properly or something else as I've seen other Mavic footage online that looks a lot better (see my reply to this thread right before yours).
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-9-29 18:19
I've tried just about every sunshade on the planet and in my opinion none of them work. The best t ...

The only sunshade that fully deflects the sun that I know of is this.
http://hoodmanusa.com/
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-9-29 19:45
Well that's what I love about the Phantom 4, is that it has a huge 6000 mAh battery in its remote t ...

The Mavic RC is good for about 6-7 flights. The RC can be charged with the Mavic battery too.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic has Auto PLUS manual focus and metering and if there's a blurry image/photo that would be the reason why. You can clearly see from the other video that it's capable of extremely sharp video/photos.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nfbarreto@gmail Posted at 2016-9-29 22:42
I'm a little confused with the unconsistent quality of the footage seen online in these earlier unit ...

The Mavic has Auto PLUS manual focus and metering and if there's a blurry image/photo that would be the reason why. You can clearly see from the other video that it's capable of extremely sharp video/photos.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nfbarreto@gmail Posted at 2016-9-29 22:50
On the sample shown here alone, the Mavic is a no go for me. However, I don't know if it's a buggy ...

The Mavic has Auto PLUS manual focus and metering and if there's a blurry image/photo that would be the reason. You can clearly see from the other video that it's capable of extremely sharp video/photos.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-29 22:47
Ken ..
Two questions I haven't been able to find answers for are:
Speed

Correct, the 27 minute flight time is no wind and lever flight at 15.5mph, so a whole flight in Sport Mode racing around would be less flight time.
And not in Sports mode it may be the same as the P4
There are some images out there. When I get to test one out I will get photos/videos.
2016-9-29
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-29 10:46
The Mavic has Auto PLUS manual focus and metering and if there's a blurry image/photo that would b ...

We need more video footage to tell. Very little is actually out from dji itself and other users. Time will tell. Its too late for me. Ive already pre ordered and will do my own tests aswell with my previous p4 footage.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jmoya03-sp Posted at 2016-9-30 00:10
We more video footage to tell. Very little is actually out from dji itself and other users. Time w ...

You will not be disappointed and when you hold it in your hand you will be very impressed with the build quality, it's heavy and stout and does not have a plastic feeling at all and that includes the RC as well.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Look what Casey posted on hit Twitter, https://twitter.com/CaseyNeistat/status/781527005615579136

Mavic Drone Update; apparently the focus works differently on the Mavic.  I played with it and I was able to get much much sharper images.

Enough said ! ! !
2016-9-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I'd take him off the payroll, he's useless, he can't even work out how to focus it. Why do people even listen to him? He's done DJI a disservice posting his bias videos, maybe GoPro are paying him a bit more
2016-9-29
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-28 06:39
DJi will keep coming out with more advanced models, I don't think any drone company (non military) ...

So you mean that a military company can compete? Sound very promising
2016-9-29
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-9-28 12:30
I ordered a mavic pro today, I'm also dumping all my GoPro stock today aswell

I ordered one yesterday, then saw the video quality, then canceled my order {:4_142:}
2016-9-29
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

CheckYourSix Posted at 2016-9-28 16:06
I agree that GoPro is going to take a spanking on this one. It isn't looking good for them right no ...

Cheaper priceNice
Longer flight time
Who needs that?
Extreme mobility
Very nice!
FINALLY No props in the video!!! (What's the point of having an aerial drone when you have props in almost every shot?)
Insanely nice!
Smaller sized batteries
Nice
Cheaper batteries
Me like
Faster charging
Always nice
Ability to fly without a controller
Will come to Phantom
OcuSync as opposed to Lightbridge
Who flies 5 miles away anyway and returns?
A lot more precise landings (within centimeters from where you took off)
Who needs that really? And who lands on the ground?
Much better hold positioning than any Phantom
Phantom is good enough
Same if not better video quality than a P4
Total BS. Much crappier
Quieter
Nice
Fly longer distance if in an area where it's permissable without mods
Well who mods for some extra miles and void the warranty ends up unable to sell it. Expensive mod
DJI Goggles
Would never wear anything that bulky
Live streaming from a longer distance at 1080 as opposed to 720
1080 is for the googles only
Gesture controls
Can I give it the finger?
and more...

More features means more bugs introduced

2016-9-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Swedrone Posted at 2016-9-29 20:03
Cheaper priceNice
Longer flight time
Who needs that?

Lol, give it the finger

I think that's the gesture command to fly straight into your face. Pointless gimmick.
2016-9-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2016-9-30 03:03
Cheaper priceNice
Longer flight time
Who needs that?

Do you work for gopro?
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2016-9-30 02:54
I ordered one yesterday, then saw the video quality, then canceled my order

Which video are you referring to, if you've seen Mavic videos a bit soft and blurry then they were not using the manual focus correctly. Read below.
So now when you place an order again, you may be 10,000 more orders in front of you.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNeistat/status/781527005615579136

Mavic Drone Update; apparently the focus works differently on the Mavic.  I played with it and I was able to get much much sharper images.
2016-9-29
Use props
spongedid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

Hi guys,
Congratulations to DJI for this machine ! I've 3 questions:
1/ Is there somewhere some DNG's or at least jpegs full size to look at ?
2/ Phone compatibility. Can we say that a smartphone that works with a P3 or an Inspire will work also with a Mavic ?  No more resources needed ?
3/ Is there an HDMI input on the goggles ?
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

helidan Posted at 2016-9-29 15:30
I'm really starting to like the Mavic. The fact that it folds up so compact is a great selling point ...

I am loving the Mavic because or it's portability, I would take it most places I go where I would have like to have a aircraft with me but don't want to carry the P4 box around. This little gem will fit in on my motorcycle, under the seat of my car, in my jacket pocket. It's absolutely amazing ! ! !
2016-9-29
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-9-29 04:19
I've tried just about every sunshade on the planet and in my opinion none of them work. The best t ...

lol what if you put your head right into the sunshade? Thats works too. I had to do this when filming in extreme day light conditions recently.
2016-9-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-9-28 17:34
lol i dont think gopro will suffer from sales at all. The masses buy gopro, tech/drone aware consu ...

Lol, gopro stock bottom out 1 day after the mavic was announced.
2016-9-29
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

I find it odd how I've seen three videos of Mavic's video quality looking great, then you have ONE from the comparison dude (can't remember his name) that doesn't match up, and everyone goes nuts.  Not only that, but he rescinded his verdict on Twitter.  I was actually wondering if he kept the dome on the camera and that was a reason the quality wasn't quite as good.

And people who say they have to have the absolute best image quality, you're not going to get it with a Mavic OR a Phantom 4, with their small sensors.  That's like someone saying "I have to take the best stills, so I'm going to use my 12mp phantom" - while there are DSLRs that take 50+mp photos.  If you want the best stills you're going to need an octocopter or something that can carry a dSLR.

AGAIN - all the stuff DJI has packed into this thing - amazing in itself - and people are ripping on a slight dip in image quality.  DJI is a drone company.  GoPro is a camera company.  I'm impressed the DJI camera is even competing with GoPro.

By the way...did GoPro ever get rid of the crappy fisheye distortion...WITHOUT cropping pixels?

2016-9-29
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

Casey has actually done TONS of harm to MAVIC i'm not sure they will ever send him one again (I don't think they should) Jon Ollson or whatever his name is did an amazing job representing what it does, they should just stick with him and Ijustine. (the two asian guys were really good  to as well)
2016-9-29
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-9-30 11:47
Casey has actually done TONS of harm to MAVIC i'm not sure they will ever send him one again (I don' ...

I have no issue with Casey, but he looks like he could be Quentin Tarantino's kid lol
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Eazy123 Posted at 2016-9-30 11:42
I find it odd how I've seen three videos of Mavic's video quality looking great, then you have ONE f ...

Here is another quick review.

2016-9-29
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Way overpriced for what it is.
2016-9-29
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@Bennyboy, so how much should it cost then?
2016-9-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eazy123 Posted at 2016-9-30 11:52
I have no issue with Casey, but he looks like he could be Quentin Tarantino's kid lol

Why would DJI give that nitwit Casey a drone ?
2016-9-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eazy123 Posted at 2016-9-30 11:52

Why would DJI give that nitwit Casey a drone ?
2016-9-30
Use props
Nfbarreto
lvl.4
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-29 23:46
The Mavic has Auto PLUS manual focus and metering and if there's a blurry image/photo that would b ...

Thanks for the update. After this post I believe I saw some of your videos online (connecting the dots here ...) . There are also some newer samples on youtube from other users, that indeed show a very sharp image.
2016-9-30
Use props
Nfbarreto
lvl.4
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-30 12:43
Here is another quick review.

https://youtu.be/1Tthf4guYCo

This one was very helpful. I'm definitely in, now I just need to start saving to I can upgrade from my trusty P3S
2016-9-30
Use props
ecarpo
lvl.3

Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-30 04:11
Which video are you referring to, if you've seen Mavic videos a bit soft and blurry then they were ...

Is it possible to know where you are in the queue? 2-3 weeks is long enough already.
2016-9-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Bennyboy1983 Posted at 2016-9-30 15:00
Way overpriced for what it is.

I'd have to say it's underpriced for what it is.
Please give an example of another manufacture that has the same technology/form factor that is less expensive.
2016-9-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

ecarpo@hotmail. Posted at 2016-9-30 20:27
Is it possible to know where you are in the queue? 2-3 weeks is long enough already.

No I do not think so, you would have to contact onlinesales @dji.com to see if they would know.
2016-9-30
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules