Newbie flight preperation (my experience)
1353 12 2015-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Hi everyone.  So I will try to keep this short.  

Just got my P2V2, unboxed, charged everyting (2 batteries, controller, tablet, wifi extender)
It is way to windy at the moment to fly so I familiariezed myself well with as much reaidng and material as possilbe I could find.
Have decided to go fly straight away in Naza M but leaving S1 and S2 in top positions unless I have an emeregency and want to activate failsafe or use the Home Lock.  My first few flights I plan for the drone to be close and just master the basic flight manouvers.

I took it outside to try first hand, calibrating the compass.  So, powered on controller, powered on the Phantom, connected by tablet, waitied for GPS satellites.  When I had 7, i started the compas calibration.  Picked upturned 360 anti clockwise, from solid yellow it turned to a solid green, nose down, did the same and got a red a green flash on the rear LED..   Went inside and hooked it up to DJO assitant and I got an error telling me the calibration was incorrect.

So did it again in a more open area, solid yellow, solid green and returned to blinking green which seemed ok.  In fact when I hooked it up to DJI assistant again I got no error messages so I assume all was good with that calibration..    The second time I had anywhere between 8 and 10 satellites connected at any time.  Its the only different thing I noticed from the first attempt.

At the moment, I am just doing random calibration so I know I am doing it right when I fly the first time.

Hoefully the weather improves soon and by then Im confident with all the preperation.  If there is anyting you think I should be adding to my prep, let me know
Also, does calibrating the compass also set the home point?

Tested the camera off the roof of my house aswell.  

DJI00040small.jpg
2015-2-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I also set it to NAZA mode right off the start, but to prevent me from accidently bumping one of the switches out of the top positions, and not knowing it,  I put rubber bands around the range extender bars and on the switches to keep them in the top positions until I was confident in flying and knowing how much stick movement would make the Phantom react.
Great picture btw.
One other point to note,  when you do take off, go full throttle for a second to jump the Phantom off the ground about 6 feet and let it hover.  If you gradually power up to take off, it might tip and hit a prop on the ground, breaking the prop and possibly burning out the ESC.
2015-2-1
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Will install prop guards surely..  How do u confirm calibration is complete correctly (what rear leds light up with correct calibration)?

And do you know all the rear led signals by heart? I guess u learn them eventually..
2015-2-1
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-2-1 21:24
Will install prop guards surely..  How do u confirm calibration is complete correctly (what rear led ...

Hi Adrian,

When you switch on the phantom it will set its home point automatically.  You will see very rapid flashing of the rear green lights when it knows where it is.  The compass calibration has nothing to do with the home point establishment. When you do the compass dance you will see a slower flashing green lights, which will stay that way while both switches are at the top position.
Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-1
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

adrianmizzi1983, this sticker set includes a sticker you can stick to the back of your remote to easily reference the LED sequences:

http://www.uavstickers.com/phantom-identity-set.php
2015-2-1
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-2-2 13:00
adrianmizzi1983, this sticker set includes a sticker you can stick to the back of your remote to eas ...

Great idea and the way it should come from the factory. Ordered a set.
2015-2-1
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

adrianmizzi1983, this sticker set includes a sticker you can stick to the back of your remote to eas ...

I only wanted the switch stickers so I made my own. Watching some videos it appears that DJI used have labels for the switches.
2015-2-1
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-2 14:07
I only wanted the switch stickers so I made my own. Watching some videos it appears that DJI used  ...

You can buy just the switch stickers, $3.95
2015-2-1
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

That is awesome..  Thanks for that.  Thumbs Up!!   
I'm getting the hang of all the sequences but its good to have a quick reference, especially for new pilots.  Cheers
2015-2-2
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

rod Posted at 2015-2-2 12:41
Hi Adrian,

When you switch on the phantom it will set its home point automatically.  You will see ...

When I start out, I want to test that the home point is correctly allocated so I plan on using the home lock just to see that it comes back in the right direction...  If I see it goes somewhere else, I know somethings wrong with the home point..  agree?
2015-2-2
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-2-2 18:31
When I start out, I want to test that the home point is correctly allocated so I plan on using the ...

Hi Adrian,
Yes you should do that.  This is important so please take note: when you put your phantom down,  the direction it is pointing is your orientation point. (assuming naza mode)  That is, fly it away in any direction from this point and it will remember the starting direction as the zero point for any course lock flying.  That direction will ALWAYS be forward in course lock mode no matter how you spin the craft.  This is great for following say motor cycles on a straight road, flying past them and spinning the camera to get a fly by shots. Think of course lock as flying a grid, where forward, back, left and right are determined right at lift off regardless of any further axis changes.

Flick to homelock mode and your phantom is like being on a piece of string and you just pull back on the right stick to reel it in no matter what orientaion it is in or where it is.  Its a great and lazy way to bring it home..

Have fun and keep us informed of your progess
Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-2
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

@Adrian,

I wouldn't worry too much about that "Compass Calibration Error". It sounds like you were inside a home, anyway. I have never been able to calibrate my compass inside or on my driveway/pavement.
2015-2-8
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

I think one of the best video for new people is this one:[/url]
2015-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules