Which ipad
935 12 2016-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mickey.railcam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377667 ft
United Kingdom

i have been using an ipadmini2 with my ph4 but find it quite unstable, I frequently get the green screen, especially when live streaming and so am considering upgrading to an iPhone mini4 or iPhone pro, does anyone have any recommendations through experience?
2016-9-29
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3504731 ft
United States

I am currently flying iPad Pro 9.7". Like it so much., with the bigger screen and allow to freely toggle between the map the camera. The screen also somewhat help with the glare on a sunny day.
2016-9-29
Use props
cdikland
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

When using an iPad does it have to be equipped with cell mobile??

2016-9-29
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

cdikland Posted at 2016-9-29 12:03

That depends on what you want to do, but generally speaking no you do not need internet access on your device when you fly...
2016-9-29
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

I have the mini 4 16 gig. Bought a refurbished from Apple. Works like a charm.
2016-9-29
Use props
Paddle Faster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 678825 ft
United States

Ive been flying with an I-Pad Pro 9.7 wi-fi, no cell. Works perfectly.
2016-9-29
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

If however you want to stream live to say youtube, you would then need either wifi and some sort of internet connection (wifi hot spot) or the cellular part with internet connectivity..
My understanding is if you shut off wifi you will get better streaming to the device.. not sure about this, just what I've heard

2016-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

iPad Pro 9.7 you won't need to use a hood screen quality excellent..
2016-9-29
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

There are quite a few links on this forum that have very useful information on preventing or significantly reducing Video Link issues.  I have a iPad mini air 2.  I did the iOS 10 upgrade and it totally screwed up my Video Link.  Green bands, black-outs, usually after about 8 minutes of flight (the iPad gets really hot!)  So I downgraded back to iOs 9.3.5 and then did everything else that was recommended; Hardware Decoding -Enable. General Settings-Video Cache-Disable. General Settings-Cache Map in Background.  On the iPad Airplane Mode-ON. Here is the BIGGY; All other apps than DJI GO - Shut down (Double tap Apple Home button and flick the apps toward the top of the screen.)

Doing all of the above has significantly reduced the Video Link issues.  By the 3rd battery I get a very occasional green band, but only briefly...  IMHO the root cause is the iPad is getting to hot.  So anything you can do to reduce processor work helps.
2016-9-29
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

I think any ipad thats 1-2 years old will work perfectly. I personally use the mini 4 and it has been a flawless experience.
2016-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

cdikland Posted at 2016-9-29 10:03

The one thing to remember, an iPad with Cellular, also contains the GPS module, where cellularless models are replete.

That conveniance can be used to enable you to change your dynamic home point, particularly useful if you like to move around when flying, opposed to standing in one general area. Or if in a boat for instance. If the drone lost contact it might fly back to where ever you first took off to land. If that was above water, oh-oh...
Follow Me feature requires the GPS unit...
If you have a SIM card in the device, and network access then yes, you can also stream live video to your Facebook account, or up to your YouTube channel..

RedHotPoker
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hi ,sir ,maybe you can try to upgrade your APP and change another USB cable .
And you also can upgrade your RC and Aircraft firmware.
If it still not work ,Please change another Pad or Phone in our support list and try again.
2016-9-29
Use props
SoCal Dude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 695650 ft
United States

I use an iPad Air 2 with 128 GB memory. It is Wi-Fi only and works really well.

I'm not sure which map data the Go app uses, but I downloaded the Google maps for my region in case I (or any app) needs to refer to the maps when I'm out in the field with no wireless connection.

DJI Phantom 4; FW: 01.02.0503; RC GL300C; 64GB Class-10 SDCard; 2 BATT
AMA Member; FAA sUAS Registered
iPad Air 2-128GB; Toshiba Radius P55W-B 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD

2016-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules