1059 15 2016-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
naildrivingman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

Question 1

Recently I sent in two X5 cameras for repair.  When I recieved them I installed one and my tablet indicated that I must update the camera firmware.  I have not seen this before (only the typical reminder for aircraft firmware), but I proceeded to update the firmware as normal.  The firmware installed correctly as per the sounds and the lights, but when I touched the camera to remove the the SD card the camera was REALLY hot.  I haven't contacted DJI yet, but I routinely mark my equipment with some ID so I know that it is mine and this camera did not have the symbol, so I think DJI swapped out my camera for a refurbished one.  No big deal, I'm sure that  DJI will send me another one, but has anyone run into the phenomena of updating camera firmware only?  I neglected to mention above that the bird was already updated to the latest firmware and I assumed the camera was not.

When I installed the second camera, it too gave me the same notification, but I don't want to update it until I get some feed back from the forum.

Question 2:

When I spin up my props prior to takeoff, I notice that one prop idles slower than the other three.  I know this because I have the white tips on my props and can visably see that one is spinning slower than the others.  I did some low altitude flying and all performs well, but I am concerned that I may have an impending motor failure and would hate to lose a motor above more than a few feet because I know that will cause a date with the dirt.  Any input on this issue?

Thanks,
Chris

2016-9-29
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

Can anyone weigh in on these issues?
Thanks!
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Chris ,
Question 1 : Could you please provide me with your RMA number? I'll help to look into your case.
When the gimbal is working, it will become hot. And the airflow will help to reduce the heat while flying.
Question 2: Could you please record a video about the props slow spinning?
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, you only sent in the gimbals and not the aircraft, correct? Could you happen to provide your previous RMA number?
2016-9-29
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-29 22:24
Hi Chris ,
Question 1 : Could you please provide me with your RMA number? I'll help to look into you ...

All I can find is the case number which I assume is the same, but if not this should help anyway/

CAS-231121-S3V0N9
2016-9-30
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-29 22:59
Just to clarify, you only sent in the gimbals and not the aircraft, correct? Could you happen to pro ...

Yes Jamie, that is correct.  I sent in two Gimbals for repair with the Case number of:  CAS-231121-S3V0N9
2016-9-30
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

Hi Chris ,
Question 1 : Could you please provide me with your RMA number? I'll help to look into you ...

I understand warm, but the first gimbal was so hot after about two minutes of attempted update, that I could not touch it.  That is way too hot for my comfort level.  Either the fan is not working properly or something else is wrong.  I've never noticed this issue before.  I honestly can say that I have never even noticed the gimbal getting warm.
2016-9-30
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

naildrivingman@ Posted at 2016-9-30 07:22
I understand warm, but the first gimbal was so hot after about two minutes of attempted update, th ...

If it is that hot something is broken , more than likely the cooling fan,Maybe try a bit of compressed air in the cooling area ( fins )  and maybe a piece of grass ( some type of debris  ) is causing it to stop spinning. Just use the compressed air Gingerly. I would look closely with a light to see if the blade is even spinning or perhaps stuck .
As far as the props are concerned, I have tips painted on mine as well and notice some difference in soin speed between motors,  I believe that if you can stay in stable hover that you are ok, if just one was slow it would ddrift like hell.   Are the Motors old and have a lot of flight time ?  I fly 3 times  a week at least  3-5 miles per run and plan on replacing ESC and motors at the 18 -2 year mark to be safe.  My props and more importantly , locks every  3-4 months.   

donnie
2016-9-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

naildrivingman@ Posted at 2016-9-30 20:18
Yes Jamie, that is correct.  I sent in two Gimbals for repair with the Case number of:  CAS-231121 ...

Could you happen to specify which part of the gimbal seems to be getting the hottest? Based on the information provided, these gimbals were in a hard landing prior so there is a chance that an outstanding issue with the craft could be affecting the gimbal. Was this the unit that was involved in a hard landing? Do you notice any ESC errors or if the slower motor has a little more friction when turning by hand?
2016-9-30
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-30 12:33
Could you happen to specify which part of the gimbal seems to be getting the hottest? Based on the  ...

RE the gimbal, the entire white globe was hot, but I think DJI swapped the one I sent in with a factory reconditioned one because I label all my equipment and the one returned to me does not have my markings.  I will attempt to update the second gimbal tonight and if the problem happens with the second one, then I guess the whole bird will have to be evaluated by DJI.

RE the motor, I did not notice any error messages on my tablet (assuming that's where the notification would be).  I will look into the friction when I get a moment and report back.

Thanks!
2016-9-30
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-30 08:46
If it is that hot something is broken , more than likely the cooling fan,Maybe try a bit of compres ...

The strange thing is that I only notice it in idle, but then again at high speed just prior to takeoff, the RPM may be too high for the human eye to notice any difference.

The one and only time I have flown since getting back on line, the wind was blowning fairly well.  The bird performed as I would expect given the conditions.  I will try again on a calm day and report back.

Thanks!
2016-9-30
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

Hi Chris ,

If there is an email address I could forward a video, that would be helpful.  I can take a video with my iPhone and forward as an attachment.

Thanks!
2016-9-30
Use props
DAP.UAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3016014 ft
United States

naildrivingman@ Posted at 2016-9-30 18:02
RE the gimbal, the entire white globe was hot, but I think DJI swapped the one I sent in with a fac ...

white globe?  I thought you were talking about the X5 camera.
2016-10-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

naildrivingman@ Posted at 2016-10-1 06:11
If there is an email address I could forward a video, that would be helpful.  I can take a video w ...

To clarify, are you using a black X5 or a white X3 camera? For any video submissions, it would be best to send it to support.us@dji.com.
2016-10-1
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-1 20:07
To clarify, are you using a black X5 or a white X3 camera? For any video submissions, it would be  ...

White X3 and I believe my gimbal situation is resolved.  I was able to upgrade both gimbals two days ago and the error notice on my iPad is now gone.

RE the motor issue, I think Donnie post was spot on.  If I were having any significant motor issues, the bird would not hold a hover.  It does, so I'm guessing all is OK.  I will video the props and check the motors for differences in friction as soon as possible and report back.

This is a busy time of year for me.

Thanks All!
2016-10-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

naildrivingman@ Posted at 2016-10-14 21:47
White X3 and I believe my gimbal situation is resolved.  I was able to upgrade both gimbals two da ...

Thanks for the update. From what it sounds like, you're good to go. If you happen to notice any issues with the motors, please let us know.
2016-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules