12206 51 2016-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-18 13:31
Genghis9 ................. ALL LiPo's are possible risk ....

DJI batterys have boars fitted but they DO NOT stop problems ... to think that a charge control board provides a LiPo that cannot PUFF, SHORT, EXPLODE, FIRE .... then sorry - that's living in cloud cuckoo land.
Sorry, and understood, what you stated...
I believe you have completely misunderstood what I was saying.  I was referring to the video of the person destroying a substandard battery bag, I guess to demonstrate that it was substandard, who knows.  Anyway, my comments had nothing to do with the real possibility of LiPo batteries catching fire or otherwise.  I'm just not one for destroying something for the sake of it...hope this clears that up.

2017-8-18
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I do not keep the batteries in Lipo bags when they are being stored, however when travelling I believe it is required ? http://amzn.to/2vRMljW
2017-8-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Genghis9 .... ok - agreed.

But it is true that most LiPo 'safe bags' are actually not much better than a foil lined beer cooler bag.

My system is to delay the situation enough that I can basically throw the item clear. I do not charge inside the LiPo bags for that reason. I think it better than I can grab by the lead and throw whole lot out the window to safe area.

I know people who charge inside large clay flower pots ... inside ammo boxes .... inside 'safe bags' .... or like me in the open on flat surface.

Nigel
2017-8-19
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

I had 5 Lipo certified bags. Had several batteries in them and stored them in my new $50+ SUV. Cool night and in the morning my daughter came in and told me my new car was on fire. Long story short, my insurance covered the replacement of the SUV, however, I went to court over the bags. There are no bags which contain LIPO explosions. I now use a cerment safe which I have had 3 batteries this year explode inside the safe.
2017-8-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have to agree .... for anyone to have that many lipo incidents - indicates misuse or bad handling.

As to storing inside a car - bad idea especially if car is outside and likely to have sun on it. Temperatures inside a car can rocket up ... and a lipo will not appreciate it !
If the lipo's are charged as well .... recipe for disaster ...

Nigel
2017-8-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

F6B-Rider Posted at 2016-10-9 14:17
I use an old metal cookie sheet as a charging surface, but don't store them in a bag unless I am flying with the quad. Seems the only time a fire is possible is during charging. The bags for flying is to keep both the TSA and the airline happy.

Would you like to reconsider ?

My pal Uldis managed to save his Cessna when the LiPo decided to give up ...

We managed to rip out the LiPo and the gear it was frying ... dump in the snow ... saving the model.

Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have LiPo safe bags and also a LiPo warming bag ...

I do not charge in the bags. I have the LiPo free and able to throw out window by its lead with charger if needed ...

The bags I use to transport the charged LiPo's to / from flight site. Bags do not stop the problem - they contain it for a time to be able to do something. In fact some bags have been shown to be useless ... go on Youtube and watch ... so that's why I take the view that better to ditch out in the garden via the window !!

Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-2-5 17:59
Considering how intelligent the DJI batteries are, I can't see it being a problem.  They won't even charge if they are too warm such as after a flight, even 10 minutes after.
Once they are finished charging they stop charging altogether.
Now the little batteries you use in X5C series, that could be a different matter.   Some of the multipack single cells they sell on Amazon comes with a multi-cell charger that looks cheap, but I researched the circuit they use and it is pretty good at properly charging the batteries.  Starts out at constant current until it reaches 4.2 volts, then holds the voltage but start ramping down the current.  Once it reaches a minimum current, it cuts off.   The multicell charger has individual circuits for each battery.

You leave out the chemistry of the battery itself. The Charge control board on the front end will do nothing to prevent a LiPo catastrophe ....

LiPo's burn without need for external oxygen or fuel. The board only shuts off electrical activity - it will basically fry ...

As to guys question earlier about LiPo fires ... I've actually had one right in front of me - my pals FMS Cessna went up ... think I posted a piccie ? He managed to rip out the LiPo and gear before it destroyed the whole model ... threw it into the snow. Later it was disposed off once it had burned out. As to a DJI battery ? My P3S battery when it went into the river swelled such that it was a real job to get it out of the model ... and it was swelling more once out ... it got the BIG D .... before it burst and possibly fire.

As I keep saying ... just because a DJI battery has a fancy case around it and a so-called intelligent board on the front end ... it is still a LiPo ... and in fact a more actionable version as its a HV version ...

Nigel
2017-11-10
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I have a bag but also charge it in a safe place.  I have a laboratory with a fire-proof hood and that is my charging station.  A fireplace would work well too.  I have never had any trouble though.  
2017-11-10
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

my storage is an unused old furnice.when im charging i dont leave them unattened.for smaller batteries i use a vented steel ammo can.
2017-11-10
Use props
stevex
lvl.2

I haven't been flying for long but having seen what a Lipo battery can do if it goes tits up, I bought a Bat-safe metal box.
I use it for charging, storage and transportation.
£38 to prevent a £280,000 house burning down, no brainer.
2018-6-8
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

I use an old ammo tin to store my batts  but charge them on a stone floor
2018-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules