12Next >
12167 51 2016-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Never have used one myself for the past year since owning a Phantom with two batteries, but giving it a go real soon I think.
Wanted to know what the average Phantom owner was doing with their batteries when either charging or storing them.

Single SelectVote, Total 127 people participate in voting
24.41% (31)
70.87% (90)
4.72% (6)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-9-30
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
United States

Wow, I'm shocked so far. Zero out of six votes. I guess everyone's thinking they're completely safe, no chance of fire.
2016-10-1
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

I have a bag but only use it while charging - and must admit didn't use it today...
2016-10-1
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

I have one...I usually use it....but can't completely cover when charging 3 batteries at a time.
2016-10-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nothing is completely safe, so when charging I have them on a surface that will not ignite should they go into melt-down. And keep an eye on themwhen charging. Probably more chance of one of the multitude of cheap phone chargers causing problems, and they are often left plugged in 24/7.
2016-10-1
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
United States

Must say I'm a bit taken back, really thought more people used some type of bag/container for their batteries. I don't myself, just thought I'd be in the minority.
2016-10-9
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

I charge 1 battery at a time and use the bag every time on a fire resistant surface.
2016-10-9
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.2

I use an old metal cookie sheet as a charging surface, but don't store them in a bag unless I am flying with the quad. Seems the only time a fire is possible is during charging. The bags for flying is to keep both the TSA and the airline happy.
2016-10-9
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

F6B-Rider Posted at 2016-10-9 18:17
I use an old metal cookie sheet as a charging surface, but don't store them in a bag unless I am fly ...

The bags are more for charging than flying (TSA). Those who haven't done so yet, do a search on YouTube and look at the fires started by the battery during a charge. It should change your mind, and the bags are cheap insurance.
2016-10-9
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.2

Jake X380 & P3S Posted at 2016-10-10 08:13
The bags are more for charging than flying (TSA). Those who haven't done so yet, do a search on Yo ...

I think you are referring to Samsung type batteries , I have charged P2 & P3 batteries (smart batt) several hundred times and have yet to have one even get warm. Just how many of those Lo-Po fires were DJI smart batteries? I found 4, and every one was intentionally destroyed by driving a nail into it, not a good thing to do. Cheap Li-Po batteries have caught fire, again look at Samsung, and some cheap off the shelf copters. But I haven't found one DJI smart battery that has spontaneously caught fire.
2016-10-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

F6B-Rider Posted at 2016-10-9 17:17
I use an old metal cookie sheet as a charging surface, but don't store them in a bag unless I am fly ...

Tell that to Samsung.  
2016-10-9
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.2

I would, but they have figured it out as of today they have stopped selling the Note 7,
2016-10-10
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

I have four batteries and two chargers.  One the road, I use a converter to charge when driving.  I see no value at all in these charging bags - other than to put my money is someone else's pocket.
2016-10-11
Use props
dronieee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140049 ft
Malaysia

Don't use a bag, use a metal container instead.

Bag test:
Video via YouTube.
2016-10-11
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a metal ammo box that you can get at a gun show to charge and storage. They have tons of them. Only ten dollars a box. The ammo box is easy to carry the batteries in.
2016-10-11
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-10-11 15:13
I use a metal ammo box that you can get at a gun show to charge and storage. They have tons of them. ...

Thought about using one myself, have a small one that I'm not using. But I have read in some forum that you should take out the gasket in case there's a fire with it sealed shut so it doesn't explode, letting the gas escape.
2016-10-11
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

I use it if I'm away.  I never leave on the charger more than a few hours longer after charged.  
2016-10-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

F6B-Rider Posted at 2016-10-10 19:22
I would, but they have figured it out as of today they have stopped selling the Note 7,

They need to do more than that.  The airlines were telling people to turn them off when they fly.  They don't need to be on to have a problem.  They need to be banned from the air and the phones stored in a non-flammable area.
2016-10-11
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.2

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-10-12 10:47
They need to do more than that.  The airlines were telling people to turn them off when they fly.  ...

Again, they must be reading your mind. ALL Note 7's have been recalled, and Samsung is sending fireproof bags to all owners for the return. Most carriers have offered to replace the Note 7 with a phone of your choice.
2016-10-12
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

I always use  li po bags, because manufacturing defects could cause a leak causing a huge fire....  Tons of YouTube videos li po batteries burning down homes.

Cost me 30 $ for 2 team black sheep li po bags (heavy duty)and store them in a .50 cal canadian military ammo box with a hole so it can vent due to a fire, well worth the investment for peace of mind.
2016-10-13
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I never thought about the charging issue.  I am up to 80 flights and never had a problem - So today i bought the "TELESIN Lipo Safety Guard Fire Resistant Lipo Battery Safe Bag for DJI Phantom 3 Phantom 4 Battery Charging & Storage (Battery Storage)" from Amazon.  My question to the board is:  Has anyone experienced a thermal run-away with their DJI battery?  I may post this as a separate thread too.  
2016-10-14
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
United States

bob37 Posted at 2016-10-14 12:41
I never thought about the charging issue.  I am up to 80 flights and never had a problem - So today  ...

My guess will be probably not, because with all the "My drone fell from the sky", "It's false advertising" and "Fly-away" threads that are mostly baseless. I think a real issue with batteries catching fire would be all over the site.
2016-10-14
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

Thanks wmcvey.  I think i will re-post the question as a new thread to see if anyone has seen such a thing.  I agree with your logic.  
2016-10-14
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

After all the LiPO stories (none concerning DJI) I picked up this bag from Amazon. 2 P3 batteries fit perfectly in it. They can be charged in the bag. Good carry on option.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T01LLP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016-10-14
Use props
Othan1
lvl.2

United States

I fly at least once a month just to keep the batteries happy.  I have six of them and I do not use any special containers.  Been flying with them since the P3P was released (pre-order).

2016-10-16
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

I too use a metal ammo box with the rubber gasket removed when charging.  I also agree if there had been an issue with DJI smart batteries it would of been all over this forum.
2017-2-3
Use props
DLX734
lvl.2
United States

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-2-3 13:48
I too use a metal ammo box with the rubber gasket removed when charging.  I also agree if there had been an issue with DJI smart batteries it would of been all over this forum.

I use the LiPo bags.  Inexpensive insurance.
2017-2-3
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

Maybe the next poll should be how many people have had a Lipo catch fire, ignite or explode. Bet you there may not be one in this forum. Always someone I know.......
2017-2-3
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Considering how intelligent the DJI batteries are, I can't see it being a problem.  They won't even charge if they are too warm such as after a flight, even 10 minutes after.
Once they are finished charging they stop charging altogether.
Now the little batteries you use in X5C series, that could be a different matter.   Some of the multipack single cells they sell on Amazon comes with a multi-cell charger that looks cheap, but I researched the circuit they use and it is pretty good at properly charging the batteries.  Starts out at constant current until it reaches 4.2 volts, then holds the voltage but start ramping down the current.  Once it reaches a minimum current, it cuts off.   The multicell charger has individual circuits for each battery.
2017-2-5
Use props
DaveNC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28560 ft
United States

I don't use any kind of charging bag or container. I've never seen any issues reported with the DJI batteries catching fire or exploding during charging.
Like DanMan said, I can't see how it would be a problem with the intelligence built into these batteries.
I know a lot of people in the vaping community use them when charging, but I don't use one when charging those batteries either, and they are a lot "dumber" than the DJI ones.

Dave
2017-2-5
Use props
kerrylaw
lvl.2

United States

Unlike a lot of lipoly batteries, used for R/C planes and cars, these have a Battery System Monitor's (BSM) integrated into the battery.  These boards monitor voltage and balance the cells equally. NOT foolproof, but pretty close..  
2017-2-15
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

As LiPo batteries go, I think the DJI's are as safe as they come. We had one battery at work that we use for our Inspire's that refused to charge. When we put it in the aircraft and looked at the battery info on the app, it showed that one of the cells in the battery had a voltage difference of .1 from the other cells. That kind of imbalance between cells is actually what causes many batteries to ignite. The software in this particular battery clearly recognized that it was having a problem and refused to charge. The "intelligence" in this unit may have saved us from a battery meltdown.

That said, they ARE still Lipo's and are inherently dangerous. Handle with care, pay attention to the balance between the cells, and realize that you are handling a hazardous material.
2017-2-16
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

For those of you who think a DJI battery won't gop up in flames, check out this thread:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-84475-1-1.html

2017-2-16
Use props
RCbag-YND
lvl.1

China

Use a good quality bag is very important.

2017-3-30
Use props
VegasFlyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231555 ft
United States

It can't hurt ;-)
2017-6-26
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always use Lipo fire bags for charging and transportation. Can't be too careful especially if you see what can happen when a Lipo goes rogue...
2017-6-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

I have 3 Lipo safe bags .... I use to separate different LiPo sizes when I take them to flight site. My DJI stay in the Drone bag slots.
I have a 4th LiPo bag that has heater capability for winter flying.... powered by 3S LiPo or cigarette socket in car.

Charging I do on open table - where I can throw out the window if anything happens.

Nigel
2017-8-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hobby King sell the Heated LiPo bag ...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turn ... v-dc.html?wrh_pdp=3

Nigel

2017-8-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

dronieee Posted at 2016-10-11 08:10
Don't use a bag, use a metal container instead.

Bag test:

I get a chuckle out of these, just can't help it, so I’ll state the obvious...
It would seem this person knew it was a substandard product, to start with.  Possibly, at the time they bought it, yet they went through the trouble of destroying it, to prove it…Why…To prove they were correct…to what end?  To warn us, then it would be nice to include some details, like how did they know or suspect it was defective (maybe it was the 99 cent sticker).  They didn't say who they bought it from, someone in China on E-Bay, pretty sure there are like a million of those, so then I guess I don’t buy from China or just don’t buy one for 99 cents???  All in all a nice crash test dummy video for the sake of crashing the dummy…
As the saying goes, ya get what you pay for…SMH
2017-8-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Genghis9 ................. ALL LiPo's are possible risk ....

DJI batterys have boards fitted but they DO NOT stop problems ... to think that a charge control board provides a LiPo that cannot PUFF, SHORT, EXPLODE, FIRE .... then sorry - that's living in cloud cuckoo land.

I have already had to dispose of an extremely hazardous puffed DJI P3 battery.

Nigel
2017-8-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules