19922 48 2016-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse5c500f2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8184049 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I filmed this today.....before I saw this discussion. I much rather grab my drone and have never had issues with my 3 and 4 . I would prefer to catch the mavic as the camera is a tad exposed!

2016-12-18
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

fanse5c500f2 Posted at 2016-12-18 13:43
I filmed this today.....before I saw this discussion. I much rather grab my drone and have never had issues with my 3 and 4 . I would prefer to catch the mavic as the camera is a tad exposed!

https://youtu.be/J7U7h6WmtJk

Lower the Mavic a little more and come at it from the side so it won't fly away from you as you try to grab it. The downward sensors are always going to make it fly away once your hand is seen under it.
2016-12-18
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm always catch-landing.
Turn the camera toward you - best turn off record ;)
Lower to a convenient height about eye level is OK.
Grab the slightly narrower part with one hand but hold it still.
Shut down by holding left stick down for three seconds.
You don't need three hands, just don't be distracted even on windy days this is pretty safe.
I also mostly take off from my hand - it's easier than phantoms because it's lighter and easier to hold still.
Just rest it on your outstretched palm then use the auto take-off.

The camera and gimbal are just too close to the ground and even if you have a good surface dust or spots of water could get on the camera.
Landing in grass is just ridiculously risky unless there's no way to avoid it.
2016-12-18
Use props
Toomer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19475 ft
United States

I wanted to post to thank everyone who contributed to this thread ... I was taking a fishing trip, and I was contemplating the need to hand launch/catch given the size of the boat we were going to be on.  I want to especially thank Fulgerite for posting the pictures of everyone getting sliced up ... which helped me realize that it's a very risky idea.  In my scenario, with a boat moving underneath me ... I decided I just couldn't risk it.

However, that did prompt me to purchase the new Mavic propeller cages - https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-propeller-cage - which should pretty much remove all safety risks with hand-catching.  So for anyone else here who has a need to hand-launch/catch due to bad terrain or whatever ... the cages might be a worthwhile investment.  Cheaper than an ER co-pay when you get all sliced up ...
2017-6-10
Use props
Sixfingers
New
Flight distance : 405814 ft

Australia

I'm about to purchase a new drone to compliment the P3S I have and it's a difficult choice between the Mavic and P4pro. However I think I will go with the P4pro for the two primary reasons of camera performance and almost equally importantly the ability to hand catch. I find it inconceivable to think of landing my drones in some terrains that I operate in. It is far safer to hand catch than land in rough terrain and risk damage.  I have never had a problem hand catching and it is perfectly safe me for me at least. Sad as the Mavic's portability is awesome.
2017-7-16
Use props
fans66dfffe9
lvl.1
Colombia

Cuando el mavic esta en aproximacion final, ligeramente unos cms por encima de tu cabeza, entras a configuracion de sensores y desactivas solamente el que vigila el relieve cercano del suelo.
Tiene un icono de montañas o relieve bajo el drone.
Hecho esto el se acercara incluso hasta el suelo donde tu quieras.
Alli ya lo puedes regular para que tu u otra persona lo tome por debajo sin que este impulse los motores tratando de elevarse.
2017-7-16
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Seen this on the subject

2017-7-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I do it a lot now to protect the exposed camera.
Hand launch is slightly tricky on your own as ive found it needs a handy table or strap to hold the controller.  Basically, select "take off" on the app, hold the drone then with other hand swipe the proceed button.  This is tricky without somewhere to balance the remote.
Catch landing ive found easy enough.  I turn off landing protection to stop it trying to climb away as i dont like the full RPM frantic spinning for a few seconds before it shuts down.  Just fly it to just above head height, approach from the rear or side.  Grab it with thumb one side, 2 fingers the other and with the other hand hold down throttle.

Ive used it from a moored boat (albeit swinging on a mooring) but wouldnt want to use either from a moving boat, theres just too much movement over water to easily grab.
2017-7-16
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

It is pretty simple. Do it at your own risk.

2018-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules