Mavic or Karma??
2437 20 2016-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

So with the lastest two newest drones just being released, which one would you purchase...Karma

I am tempted by the Karma because of the handle to attach the gopro camera+gymbal too.

Although not taken by Gopro products previously,it does look like Gopro have thought about this launch of drone and Camera with a hand held filming capability.
This is to compete with the Osmo side of things.
Mavic
The Mavic would be my chosen preferance as i have had a few Dji products before. Dji has a better product in drones with cameras, but add the price of an Osmo and its way more than the Karma with the similar type of filming options.
What would be your choice if you had to buy one of them...

2016-10-1
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

Neither until they are in the hands of the general public.
I'll wait to see what they have to say before even considering a purchase.

In the past I have seen new products get rave reviews but once released were a fail.

I like when a product is pulled from production and tested. I have also seen test product tweaked to be sure they received a favorable review.
Search Remington R51 if you want to see just how bad and shady it can be.
2016-10-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's hard to see how anyone who has experienced Lightbridge and wifi drones would consider going with wifi when something even better than Lightbridge (OcuSynch) is available.
That would be enough for me to make a decision but if you want to consider other factors ...

This guy gives a pretty good assessment comparing the two.

Or for a different perspective this one is pretty good:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... arts-1-and-2.91567/
2016-10-1
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thats good assessment of the two products.
I do like the idea of the karma bundle with the stick included tho...
2016-10-1
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-10-1 13:31
Thats good assessment of the two products.
I do like the idea of the karma bundle with the stick inc ...

Aloha Hawk,

That is what the Osmo Mobile is for (at the end of the video).  You put your mobile phone, which you need to use to fly FPV with your Mavic, into the Osmo Mobile handle and you get your stabilized camera.  

No one disputes that the GoPro 5 is the premier sports camera, and waterproof at that, but DJI is still generations ahead in drone and gimbal technology.  Personally, I have my hands full right now, but I still cannot wait to see what is going to happen a year from this Christmas.  I had no idea about the Mavic or Karma and it is not even Christmas - what about a year from now!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-1 12:43
It's hard to see how anyone who has experienced Lightbridge and wifi drones would consider going wit ...

Aloha labroides,

The Hitler rant mash link does not work.  It gets an "Error" message.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-2 18:27
Aloha labroides,

The Hitler rant mash link does not work.  It gets an "Error" message.

They work from here.
Try this alternative:

and

and

2016-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-2 01:40
They work from here.
Try this alternative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYpophzrTPY

Aloha labroides,

Mahalo!  These mash-ups and mixes are so hilarious.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-2
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I'm with CabinPete, I'll wait till they have been used by the general public. At least till next summer. My choice will be the Mavic, I'd rather go with performance over the removable gimbal. What happens when you break it using it without the Mavic. Murphy's law says you will.
2016-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-1 12:43
It's hard to see how anyone who has experienced Lightbridge and wifi drones would consider going wit ...

Aloha labroides,

BTW, this guy is good as you noted.  I caught an earlier one he did (or maybe he refined it) and he does nail it.  This guy has credibility.  He does his research.  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-2
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

mavic all the way
2016-10-2
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-2 06:43

I've never used lightbridge I have a phantom 3 standard however I don't like the idea of plugging in the USB cable to use it good or bad I just don't like it if I want to use a big tablet I just set it on a table with no cables,  you can't fly out of visual line-of-sight / Faso flying 5 miles does me no good
2016-10-2
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4

The choice is seriously going to be how compact do you want it the karma is damn near as big as a phantom yes the arms full but that's all now the magic is much smaller. The camera has the bubble in front of it to protect it the karma has to have a GoPro if you break the front gimbal you buy a gimbal plus a $400 camera when you disconnected to change the card
2016-10-2
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4

Also what I don't like about GoPros is the fish that sometimes I like it depending on what I'm doing but when I'm taking photographs that I may want to print or send someone I want an aspect photo
2016-10-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

billwish76 Posted at 2016-10-3 11:01
I've never used lightbridge I have a phantom 3 standard however I don't like the idea of plugging  ...

Plugging in a USB cable is a small price to pay to get a control system that's about 10 x better than wifi.
What's the concern about plugging in a cable anyway?
2016-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

billwish76 Posted at 2016-10-2 17:02
The choice is seriously going to be how compact do you want it the karma is damn near as big as a ph ...

Aloha bill,

The Karma has the broader span when folded out and weighs more.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-3
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The Mavic is not as quick to break (stop) in flight as the P3/P4s possibly down to not having as powerful motors. This would be how they get longer flight times from the Mavic Vs the P 3/4 range.
2016-10-4
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

How big a phone/tablet will fit into the mavic remote??
2016-10-4
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well as a GoPro fan I was so excited to hear they finally announced the Karma.
But as a huge DJI fan, I was even more excited to hear the Mavik came out.

Go Pro has a great camera product, and when they include a gimbal to the Karma, that was almost a sure thing for me but then i looked at the specs. I was sad, that the Karma is so limited in range that even a PS3 could go farther then the Karma.

Now then, we have the Mavik.  Small, simple, and loaded with the features I though Karma after 2 years would have done.  I mean, just look at the specs for range, the controller, etc.
Say your phone app crashes (we almost all had that), and unless you are seasoned, most would freak out.  The Mavik controller still has telemetry data on the LCD so you can still get your bird home.
The range is freaking awesome, and camera is great for the size or bird, the weight is so light you'd think it was paper, and includes all the features the you'd expect.

So, I would buy the Mavik. I am sad Karma failed to provide some key aspects that I waited for, but happy the DJI spies/development team came though.

This is a huge game changer for drones as now you can get a small quad yet have the power of the big boy toys.
2016-10-4
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I would say Mavic! Here is a nice review from Casey Neistat:
2016-10-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Still not convinced.
If i put my phone into the Mavic remote, i would need to put my reading glasses on to see whats on the screen.
How big a phone will it take.
I fly my P3P with a 9.7" ipad pro without any issues or glasses. Im not blind, but need glasses for reading.
The Mavic screen/phone wouldnt work for me.
2016-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules