2252 10 2016-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Morrisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone have the problem of the DNG file names not matching up with the .MOV or .MP4 proxy files?

I am having trouble sorting through all the massive files. I'm trying to find a good way to just be able to delete shots I already know are bad, but it's super slow have to find out what is inside of each DNG sequence file.

Any tips?

Best,
Gavin

2016-10-2
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

I have a workaround for this but it's not too elegant. There's actually a bigger problem with proxies, they're all several frames shorter then the DNG sequence which is a big pain.
What I do to use MOV files as proxies is drag all MOV files onto one video track, then make another track and drag all DNG video sequences into newly created video track so starting point matches the track with MOV files. From here I can group these two tracks, disable RAW track and edit them as a single unit while having real-time playback (which isn't possible with raw 4K files). When I need to grade or manipulate RAW video I disable the proxy track (with H264 footage) and enable RAW track and vice versa.
This is where the different length of the files becomes a huge pain as I have to manually allign each H264 clip with RAW clip before editing can be done. Wanted to start a thread on it many times but got carried away.

DJI, please fix it, it's a huge workflow killer.
2016-10-2
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ge0se Posted at 2016-10-2 22:58
I have a workaround for this but it's not too elegant. There's actually a bigger problem with proxie ...

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmmm...you're right. That is a pain! I basically am just grading and not editing using all the footage...Out of maybe 10 shots, I usually end up keeping 3 of the best. I shoot so much that it doesn't make sense to keep everything.

But yea, I hadn't even realized that on the proxy being a shorter length...yargh.

And what are you editing in? My editor uses Avid...and Avid seems to have allergies to DNG files.

Best,
Gavin
2016-10-2
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

ge0se Posted at 2016-10-2 22:58
I have a workaround for this but it's not too elegant. There's actually a bigger problem with proxie ...

Cinelight has a feature to address this... When you export the DNG sequence you can choose a corresponding mov file to sync it up to. Then the exported DNG will have the same exact frames as the mov file.
2016-10-3
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

And to address this issue, Cinelight can display the name of the matching mov file in the metadata view on the right hand side. Not the best solution but a definite way to sort things out.
2016-10-3
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

cinematic_aero Posted at 2016-10-3 13:19
Cinelight has a feature to address this... When you export the DNG sequence you can choose a corre ...

Got it! That's great...I had no idea. I just recently got Cinelight and up until now I've just been using the PC-based export-only program.

And what do you grade in? Resolve? Camera RAW? Cinelight?

I'm trying to work out a good workflow for our Avid line...

Best,
Gavin
2016-10-4
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

cinematic_aero Posted at 2016-10-4 01:19
Cinelight has a feature to address this... When you export the DNG sequence you can choose a corre ...

Sadly, I do not use a Mac to transfer footage and don't plan to.
2016-10-5
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ge0se Posted at 2016-10-5 20:47
Sadly, I do not use a Mac to transfer footage and don't plan to.

I use both.

We edit using Avid and load via a Mac and/or a PC.

So you just use the exporter program and then work your DNG files in Camera RAW?

best,
Gavin
2016-10-7
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>

I drop all my Cinema DNG files into Resolve and do a super rough 'selects edit' where I just trim off the bits I am certain I won't be using. Color and then export Pro Res HQ. Then I edit those in Premiere.
If I need to redo any of the color, I go back to the raw in Resolve. Not exactly the quickest system but it works.
2016-11-6
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

sfdrones.tv Posted at 2016-11-7 02:18
I drop all my Cinema DNG files into Resolve and do a super rough 'selects edit' where I just trim of ...

Makes sense...and yes, I recently started using Resolve. I'd never tried it until recently. I'm pretty impressed with how it handles the RAW files. You don't just edit right in Resolve? It seems like its pretty incredible.

Best,
Gavin
2016-11-6
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>

Morrisson Posted at 2016-11-7 03:13
Makes sense...and yes, I recently started using Resolve. I'd never tried it until recently. I'm pr ...

I find Resolve to not be the best edit platform. Anything less then a Mac Pro loaded up, and it won't play the footage smoothly.
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules