Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-6 11:57
Aloha Ken,

Just zip-tie them to the Mavic front legs like headlamps.  It will look wicked!

Yes, that would work as well
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-6 11:11
3M have plenty of products that were similar to other earlier designs, by others.  
It's a differen ...

I still have only been able to use my Lume Cubes that one time. I need to make more time for myself
2016-10-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-5 19:13

Aloha Ken,

Do you remember ever saying that you only ran the new batteries for one of your Phantoms down to 50% for the first 10 cycles?  The suggestion was that it would reduce stress on the new battery and prolong the service life of the battery.  You gave an example of the current (very) high battery life rating of the batteries (or battery).  Spiderbot found a paper on the Internet that supports that point.

The discussion has been going on for a while in more than one thread.  I have mentioned that I "thought" it was your suggestion.  But, I always left that point up in the air because I could not remember if it was you.  Since the paper has been found, it would be nice to find that it was you who made that suggestion.  It can back up your suggestion.  The suggestion also helped me in other non-battery related ways.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-5 23:15
I still have only been able to use my Lume Cubes that one time. I need to make more time for mysel ...

Are you not flying your drones lately?  I will be able to enjoy mine for a long time to come. They are impressive in so many ways.
The techs are looking at tweaking the Pro app, making it even better. Much more to look forward to.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-6 13:33
Aloha Ken,

Do you remember ever saying that you only ran the new batteries for one of your P ...

Yes I made that suggestion on here but it was already a well known practice for users who use LiPo batteries. I learned that several years ago and have done it with my batteries ever since.
I never compared and did this way with one and not with another so I don't have real world stats of after 100 charges or whatever which one had better life.
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-6 14:17
Are you not flying your drones lately?  I will be able to enjoy mine for a long time to come. They ...

Definitely not as much as I like to .
2016-10-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-6 05:47
Yes I made that suggestion on here but it was already a well known practice for users who use LiPo ...

Aloha Ken,

This is the link to the study on LiPo charging cycles.  If I started a thread would you be interested in commenting and maybe fleshing out some of the information presented?

http://batteryuniversity.com/lea ... ium_based_batteries

This is the link to the Forum thread;

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid510174

This is one post in the commentary.  Of course I am no authority, just interested.  What you said made sense to me;

Maybe this is what DJI-Ken (I think) was alluding to about the charging depth and discharge stress.  This is from the second article you cited.

Table 2: Cycle life as a function of depth of discharge.
A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life.
Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

Depth of discharge            Discharge cycles

100% DoD                       300–500
       50% DoD                    1,200–1,500
       25% DoD                    2,000–2,500
       10% DoD                    3,750–4,700

Dropping to 50% DoD triples or quadruples the Discharge Cycles (DC).  As a "Break-in Period" of 10 cycles at 50%, the reduced stress should show up over time and DCs.  This would seem to support with "hard evidence" the contention that "50% discharge for the first 10 cycles" will prolong the battery life.  This looks to me like a "Break-in Period" of 10 cycles is a good idea backed up "some-what" by "hard evidence".

The major benefit in this approach is psychological.  My first 30 flights with 3 batteries discharging to 50% was a good way to reduce my eagerness to fly and introduce discipline into my flying.  This has helped in many ways having nothing to do with batteries, but it appears my batteries may benefit as a result.

In summary, I owe you and DJI-Ken (I think) a debt of gratitude for fleshing out this suggestion and concern.  Mahalo Nui Loa to you and DJI-Ken (If not DJI-Ken, I apologize profusely to whoever made the suggestion and Mahalo Nui Loa to you).  But, to be truthful we can never thank DJI-Ken enough for all the assistance he gives us.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-7 03:49
Aloha Ken,

This is the link to the study on LiPo charging cycles.  If I started a thread wou ...

I responded to that thread since this thread is not about batteries
Drone On.
2016-10-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-6 10:07
I responded to that thread since this thread is not about batteries
Drone On.

Aloha Ken,

Mahalo!  That is what I was hoping you would do!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-5 17:42
The Pusher... Do you know Steppenwolf music? Ha
I'm sure Mavic will be a most popular item, and lu ...

I did a rewrite of that song called The Butcher.  The chorus line goes Got Ham,  instead of the original words.
2016-10-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-10-6 17:40
I did a rewrite of that song called The Butcher.  The chorus line goes Got Ham,  instead of the or ...

OK, I'll let John Kay know. Sure he'll want to rewrite the famous lyrics... Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-5 23:13

Lume Cubes? Yes, You could zip tie them, but don't put them cubes on a high setting.
Hopefully the Mavic brackets will be designed very soon.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-7 10:13
Lume Cubes? Yes, You could zip tie them, but don't put them cubes on a high setting.
Hopefully the ...

We shall see.
2016-10-6
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Ken is a good and understanding guy.
2016-10-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, you shall see, and even better with them Lume Cubes attached. Hahaha

Wish upon hope, and it will come to be... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-10-7 10:26
Ken is a good and understanding guy.

Thank you very much
2016-10-6
Use props