Using goggles with Mavic
9486 12 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Goggles are no doubt the best FPV solution for flying a drone in strong daylight (rather than putting your head inside a big square sun-blocking box...).
It is also more fun to use because the viewing angle is much larger.

The current best solution (which I currently use with my Phantom) is a standard good quality eye-adjustable goggles (cost about US$10), plus Litchi app (costs about US$23). Regretfully, DJI did not offer an app which allows split-screen view (a must for using standard goggles with a smartphone inside). Also, there is nothing better than Litchi app by any other 3rd party.

Now with the Mavic Pro, DJI announced "DJI goggles". Limited specs were released but enough to understand that it will consist electronics (connecting directly with the drone) and possibly also the display. This means it will be quite expensive (usually the gross margin of DJI is quite high, especially on accessories).

My question:
Will DJI continue to not-release a split screen feature on the DJI GO app so as to 'force' people to buy the expensive DJI goggles)?
My hope is that DJI will release this feature on the next DJI GO release, even at an extra cost (matching Litchi app cost).
And my hope is that DJI goggles (when will be released?) will offer something more advanced than what I can achieve today with standard goggles plus Litchi.

Hope to get an formal, honest and direct answer from DJI (rather than speculations from other readers).

2016-10-5
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interested in this post, look foward to the replies
2016-10-5
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Do Hong Kong laws allow the use of goggles without a spotter ?
2016-10-5
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Delta Nine Posted at 2016-10-5 12:52
Do Hong Kong laws allow the use of goggles without a spotter ?

Not much point having a spotter if the drones 7 km away !
2016-10-5
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

nomad65 Posted at 2016-10-5 13:00
Not much point having a spotter if the drones 7 km away !

The Op did'nt mention long range flights, so god knows why you brought that up?
2016-10-5
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Delta Nine Posted at 2016-10-5 15:18
The Op did'nt mention long range flights, so god knows why you brought that up?

As far as i'm aware , nowhere on the planet , would legally allow flights were pilot is using goggles with a spotter  beyond line of sight , point being using a spotter is a moot point !
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know if DJI will implement a split screen in the GO app  for your own goggles.
2016-10-5
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Can we please stop with the "but but!!!  But LAW STUFF!" posts and just answer the $#@# questions?    We all are aware of the laws.
2016-10-5
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>

You can do the split screen.  With an iDevice there is an adapter which outputs the screen in HDMI.  Basically a lightning cable Y adapter with one side an HDMI output.  I've tried this and the only draw back is you're limited to the resolution of the device you are using.  Add in the TX HDMI module and a splitter and, well, how much of a geek do you want to be?  I've been in the yard with Headplays on and two external monitors - one for the iPad display and one for the FPV output.  Neighbors think I'm crazy.
2016-10-5
Use props
fans211bd843
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3602 ft
United States

An image quality and image detail test, best on the naked eye and subjective, personal opinions and observations. Opinion! At close range (10 Ft).

Rangevideo Headplays, Banggood sold Goggle Two, Avegant Glyph and, Yuneec Typhoon Skyview goggles. (This is simply my opinion of these four goggles being used with the Mavic Pro, HDMI via Nvidia Shield K1). My first post, please be kind and read this as an opinion and hopefully of interest.

The entire image in all goggles is available. I have read the Goggle one "chopped" the field of view. If so, not so with the Goggle Two.

The Skyview's were the best image (overall) but also, the most uncomfortable. Room for eye glasses is true. The Avegant Glyph's are terrific, not as sharp and slightly less detailed than the Skyview's but, other Glyth attributes make it my choice to fly a Mavic Pro. I can wear my glasses with the Skyviews, sharp image and very lightweight but, the padding is something less to be desired. Hard. Glyph's are rally terrific goggles, overall and in many aspects simply a better goggle.  
2017-1-8
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any word on a release date?
2017-1-16
Use props
fansc725fe25
lvl.2

Spain

Yes I think the mavic goes best with vr goggles and not found anything better than litchi. Control is more precise especially in bright sunlight.
Just got my xioami note 4 with 1080p hd screen that not all mobiles have so we can take advantage of 1080 live feed from mavic which stops the 4k recording working I believe.
You have to in plug the left side cable for this to work.
I also had to go into developer functions on phone to turn on USB debugging.
I would prefer to use the dji program but no vr functions...
2017-2-10
Use props
fansc725fe25
lvl.2

Spain

I meant to say unplug side cable and use usb central outlet to plug into phone with a long cable to put in goggles...
2017-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules