Resetting Phantom 4 Flight Records
11645 25 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to sell my Phantom 4 and just wondering whether there's a way to delete the flight records in it. I removed the flight records from the app but when I connect the drone to my PC, flight records show up in DJI Assistant 2 app. I'm not quite sure I want to give out details of my flights to a stranger.

Thanks in advance.

2016-10-5
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Bump! Anybody knows any way to do this please?
2016-10-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

leostark Posted at 2016-10-7 09:19
Bump! Anybody knows any way to do this please?

No, you cannot erase the flight records, even DJI do not bother to do this, the test flights made by the factory before packing and shipping are still in the aircraft.
2016-10-6
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

That's a bummer, looks like I have to roll the dice I guess
2016-10-7
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I downloaded them from the aircraft, did not realize the files cannot be removed.. really? Well, it does make sense.,. Say u bought a used one - u can check that it was crashed (motor obstructed) and find bunch of other things.. is that somewhat of a privacy risk? sure.. but what isn't? All flight recorders are strictly read only, or else there would be a big business of deleting the data before authorities made it to the records.. not acceptable.. I bet same goes for DJI to be able to determine if the aircraft is warranty eligible....
2016-10-7
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-8 12:42
I downloaded them from the aircraft, did not realize the files cannot be removed.. really? Well, it  ...

I don't think you can even download them now, at least not in the way it was possible in P3, DJI Go app no longer has an option to go to file transfer mode.
2016-10-8
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

I downloaded them via a usb cable.. i think in the app u change the bird to "data transfer mode" and then hook it up to a pc via usb over the camera....
2016-10-8
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-9 12:19
I downloaded them via a usb cable.. i think in the app u change the bird to "data transfer mode" and ...

yeah that used to be the case but that option is no longer available in the app. When you connect to DJI Assistant 2, you get prompted to download flight records but that doesn't seem to comply with the same standard as the ones you can download by going to data transfer mode as none of the interpreters I tried worked with what I got out of Phantom 4.
2016-10-9
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

It appears like you can delete them individually by going into your flight records in the GO app.
Slide the flight you want to delete to the left and a garbage can will show up.
Tap the can.
Not sure if this deletes them from the DJI server, but even after synching, the flights do not show up again in the app.
2016-10-9
Use props
pelermon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34094 ft
United States

If you did not get a subpoena from the attorney representing the nudist colony yet, don't worry about it.  
2016-10-9
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

BouldersDad Posted at 2016-10-9 07:35
It appears like you can delete them individually by going into your flight records in the GO app.
Sl ...

I think you are talking about the flight logs on the tablet/phone, those are dji app logs, not the logs on the drone itself.. but i may be wrong.

I do like the comment about nudist colony... they need to realize that whatever was small already is only smaller due to the wide lens!
2016-10-9
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-9 12:06
I think you are talking about the flight logs on the tablet/phone, those are dji app logs, not the ...

Open mouth, insert foot (again!).
You are, of course, correct.
It only makes sense that for legal purposes, the actual flight logs should be tamper-proof.
2016-10-9
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

no worries.. did u add some salt and pepper to foot? I always do that, makes the experience somewhat enjoyable then.... ;)
2016-10-9
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Yup, doing it by app only deletes what's on the device, not the ones on the drone itself
2016-10-9
Use props
redteamwx
lvl.1

United States

There must be a way to delete them, either that or the oldest records are automatically destroyed/written over when the memory is full.  The drone doesn't have unlimited memory, at some point it is going to have a problem storing new flight records. My P4P+ has only several weeks of flight records on it. I backed them up using the Assistant 2 software on my PC.  63 records in all, that's it, but they used a whopping 6 GB of memory!  Does anyone know how to delete them manually? Is there a way?
2017-2-8
Use props
fans798622a9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220118 ft
  • >>>
Kyrgyzstan

Just remove gimbal  (8pcs of hex 1,5mm screws) and you will see SD card on small board covered by silicone, format that card and you will not see your logs.  

The attached picture is for P4Pro, but they are almost same.
Файл_001.png
2017-5-12
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

you can delete the flight data

open Assistant 2
open the Developer tools window from the top menu. choose local storage
File
Change debug value from 0 to 1
Factory Enabled change from false to true

Connect Phantom
Choose facrtory test

Voila
2017-7-8
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-8 15:36
That only deletes the records from your display device.  The on-board  bird records are still there.

Yeah, Phantomski corrected me on that one back in October of last year.
2017-7-8
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

You guys are all wrong, the way you delete all the files is to buy a 12 ounce can of lighter fluid, then carefully apply it to the drone in all cracks and crevices then throw a match on it!

Guaranteed to be clean!

Mike
2017-7-8
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
United States

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-7-8 20:04
You guys are all wrong, the way you delete all the files is to buy a 12 ounce can of lighter fluid, then carefully apply it to the drone in all cracks and crevices then throw a match on it!

Guaranteed to be clean!

That might work for me, here in Florida.
But for those in California, between their Fire Watches and Air Pollution laws, I think they'd have to find another method.
2017-7-9
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another low tech approach would be to simply fly some circles until you over write the data files. Although it is anyone's guess how many minutes of circles you would have to fly. As I recall, the internal card is only 4GB and one long flight can create a file of about 1 GB in size. If this is correct, it would only hold under two hours of flying time, but more maneuvers would probably fill the card much faster. No?
2017-8-11
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

IflewbyU2 Posted at 2017-8-11 10:57
Another low tech approach would be to simply fly some circles until you over write the data files. Although it is anyone's guess how many minutes of circles you would have to fly. As I recall, the internal card is only 4GB and one long flight can create a file of about 1 GB in size. If this is correct, it would only hold under two hours of flying time, but more maneuvers would probably fill the card much faster. No?

That approach will work. Although Stephens solution is way more sophisticated :-)
I did the math a while ago and posted this in another thread. These were my findings:

The internal 'black box' - Micro SD card, 6GB on P4P - can contain only that much DAT files.
File writing wraps at 460MB which equals approx. a 20min flight. Afterwards a new file is being recorded.
Plus all the other files (every time the AC is started a file is written) the card is probably full after 10 extended flights.
Then old files will be overwritten...
2017-8-11
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-8-11 11:24
That approach will work. Although Stephens solution is way more sophisticated :-)
I did the math a while ago and posted this in another thread. These were my findings:

Yes, Stephen's approach is better. So is fans798622a9's.
2017-8-11
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Is there anyway to read the .dat files on the mc itself? The phantom help log viewer only reads logs in text format.
2017-8-11
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-11 18:28
Is there anyway to read the .dat files on the mc itself? The phantom help log viewer only reads logs in text format.

Check this out:
https://datfile.net/index.html
2017-8-11
Use props
fansc6a74270
New

fans798622a9 Posted at 2017-5-12 09:56
Just remove gimbal  (8pcs of hex 1,5mm screws) and you will see SD card on small board covered by silicone, format that card and you will not see your logs.  

The attached picture is for P4Pro, but they are almost same.

How do you remove the SD card? It appears there is a metal angle to prevent the card from being pulled out.
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules