2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 12:08
Not to sure that would be generic?

No, that idea wasn't in your short or long list.

Or did I overlook that entry? Haha

Good thing you were specific, or some might get confused...

RedHotPoker
2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-8 19:11
No, that idea wasn't in your short or long list.

Or did I overlook that entry? Haha

There's no substitute for thinking.
2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 12:17
There's no substitute for thinking.

Yes, & so I think you failed to be a bit more explanatory. Haha

But Never you mind. We are Not interested in the Mavic or Mavrick westerns either.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-8 19:22
Yes, & so I think you failed to be a bit more explanatory. Haha

But Never you mind. We are Not int ...

Get down of your horse pilgrim and drink your milk.
2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 12:52
Get down of your horse pilgrim and drink your milk.

Sip one, guzzle two... Rinse and repeat. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I voted no because I do not believe that simply because a newer product appears, you have any right to expect the older product to be upgraded to that standard.
2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-8 23:45
I voted no because I do not believe that simply because a newer product appears, you have any right  ...

Well you maybe right,but when a new Apple phone comes out older phones are also upgraded to new softwear, remember P4 is just 7 months old.
2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 17:17
Well you maybe right,but when a new Apple phone comes out older phones are also upgraded to new so ...

My elder statesman, iPad3, wasn't notified of the iOS 10 update...
Nor would it ever be able to enjoy any of those newly updated features in iOS 10.0.1 or iOS 10.0.2.

That may be it, for any future updates, where it is concerned. No biggie...
I had to Get over it, and grimace because of it, & then simply move on, without.
You want newly released drone tech, buy a newer model, that contains it.

RedHotPoker

2016-10-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-9 09:15
I voted no because I do not believe that simply because a newer product appears, you have any right  ...

Can't say I agree - well, not completely anyway. The physical attributes - folding arms, etc - clearly can't be passed on as that requires a different physical design, but I can't see why the software features can't be integrated. Gesture recognition, for example.

I'd still propose that if you want portability - you go for the Mavic. But if you want better quality video/photos in potentially poor flight conditions - you go for the Phantom 4.
2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-9 00:53
My elder statesman, iPad3, wasn't notified of the iOS 10 update...
Nor would it ever be able to e ...

As usual you seem to be missing the point, your iPad 3 would have had upgrades to iOS 9 but yes it's now been sent out to pasture, did you inform  Apple you weren't worthy of upgrades for your iPad that it wasn't fair to customers of new iPads that you would share in new technology, when you spend €1600+ for a tech product you expect it to be reasonably updated 7 months in the tech world is a bit short I think, but that's my opinion.
Oh btw I have already purchased a Mavic, I will still hold on to my P4, it's not a money thing.
2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-10-8 18:00
Can't say I agree - well, not completely anyway. The physical attributes - folding arms, etc - clea ...

Even the Phantom 4 doesn't raise the bar enough, to entice many away from a Phantom 3 Pro model.
If having the latest means that much to you, that still doesn't necessarily mean it's much better.
The difference would need to be drastic and epic, and it is not. Folding arms don't impress me.
But neither did opposing thumbs, to a swift climbing chimp. In the eye of the beholder...

RedHotPoker
2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 18:24
As usual you seem to be missing the point, your iPad 3 would have had upgrades to iOS 9 but yes it ...

Simply dropping a Corvette engine in a Volkswagen bug, won't make it a race car. Just loud...

I am satisfied with my Phantom 3 Pro' drone and will still look forward to seeing the many future models get released.
Just not interested in one at this time.

The Go app is very feature rich, with much more use ability, than many ever utilize presently.
So I don't see the updated features transferring backwards.

RedHotPoker

2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-9 01:37
Simply dropping a Corvette engine in a Volkswagen bug, won't make it a race car. Just loud...

I a ...

So I think it's great that you are happy and satisfied with everything you have, the sky won't fall in if there are no upgrades, life goes on onwards and upwards.
2016-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 19:17
So I think it's great that you are happy and satisfied with everything you have, the sky won't fal ...

I have done every upgrade since my drone arrived, mostly on the same day they are released to the public.
Never had an issue or real complaint. Only wished for a longer summer here. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-8
Use props
g man
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-9 06:45

not supporting older products is a good way to lose customers permanently
2016-10-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

g man Posted at 2016-10-10 10:00

There is a huge difference between not providing support support for older products, which DJI is definitely NOT doing, and adding features from a new product to the older ones. You want new features, buy the new product.
2016-10-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-10 10:30
There is a huge difference between not providing support support for older products, which DJI is  ...

Well, this subject has definitely inspired passion...

For the record, my earlier point is one of what is actually possible and reasonable. The Phantom 4 and the Mavic share similar hardware 'smarts' - specifically, the camera and sensors. Again physical design will guide which you buy - high wind stability (prefered for photography) vs portability.

But as both have similar smarts, there's a reasonable assumption that both share common code for the firmware. My bet is that the Mavic is a new branch from the same code tree as the Phantom 4 (OK, so I used to be a software coder too), and if I'm right there's no reason that the new firmware features can't be grafted back for the Phantom 4.

My point again is that people won't buy the Mavic for software features, but for it's portability. If anything, releasing the next P4 firmware with the new capabilities may placate some of those people who felt betrayed by DJI for releasing the Mavic only 6 or so months after the Phantom 4. Yeah, so they may want the folding legs, but hey...

Now, back to more critical threads - like whether I can get my Phantom 4 replaced under DOA...
2016-10-9
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

I think the upgrades coming to the p4 will be slim to zero, why? the Mavic is a completly different drone to the p4 its a new model entirely, like the inspire to the phantom range...so my guess is well see say a p4 advanced/pro, with newer features like the Mavic, have any past drones seen upgrades? from newer models? or just a new drone released?

2016-10-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is standard practice to discontinue adding new features to a product once the next model comes out, after that, they go into maintenance mode, only getting updates on safety issues or such. The only issue then is whether the Mavic represents a new model, or is regarded as a new line of aircraft, in the same way the Inspire is a different line to the Phantoms.
2016-10-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-10 09:13
It is standard practice to discontinue adding new features to a product once the next model comes ou ...

You make a good point about different models and new models, and your point about safety upgrades,all of those were part of my question ,features that can be transferred ie generic ones which would include safety, no matter what we think about P4v Mavic they will always be compared against each other until something like a P5 is released, my point is if I and many more can see this happening, then what dji have is two competing products although as you say two different aircraft, the P4 is a very new aircraft only 7 months old and even in the tech world this is relatively new I don't think it should be put out to grass at least until a newer model of this aircraft is released, and if dji can add generic features to the P4 it would be much appreciated by owners of P4. (And if they choose not to, well it's still a great aircraft, but if new models become old models in six months people will always ask questions that's all I've done here)
2016-10-10
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

g man Posted at 2016-10-9 19:00

Tell that to Apple.
2016-10-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the P4 has the hardware to support the additional features provided by firmware then I see no reason for DJI not to promote all their products. That would surely be the best marketing ploy. "Not only has the Mavic been introduced, but the whole range just got better" would be a good position to be in.
2016-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-13 10:08
If the P4 has the hardware to support the additional features provided by firmware then I see no rea ...

I agree, but we will have to wait and see,
2016-10-13
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

There is no commercial onus on DJI to add any features to the P4 from the Mavic announcement - where the hardware allows - but there are good reasons, both reputational and also operational, why they should.

Assuming there is shared code between the various generations of aircraft there is benefit to integrating common functions across as much of the code base as they can, in QA, maintenance and support terms certainly.

What needs new hardware is an interesting question; If the VPS system based on the same chipset and so the new terrain follow and precision landing features, for example, might just come out of the work done - but if the VPS is based on updated chipsets and sensors, then maybe not. Similarly the new Active Track modes and so on.

Reputational benefit to DJI would be huge - companies that show long term support for products tend to get more kudos and more repeat business.
2016-10-13
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I would like to see some of the software features like tripod mode for my P4. Other than that, I plan to purchase the Mavic because of its size.
2016-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonytori Posted at 2016-10-13 21:07
I would like to see some of the software features like tripod mode for my P4. Other than that, I pla ...

I agree I also have ordered Mavic because it looks like a great aircraft but mostly it's portability,I will be keeping my P4 and would like it updated if it's possible.
2016-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules