Two WiFi Channels Used ???
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

P3S
So I used the WiFi app on my cell phone yesterday.
I turned on my controller and left the bird off.
I came up in channel 2.

Then I turned on the bird.
But I didn't see any additional WiFi signals.

Next I turned on the bird only.
I didn't see any activity at all.
So I ask does the bird only transmit on channels above 14 ?
2016-10-9
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

It only using one channel, I think between 1 and 13. The reason you don't see the AC wifi is because it doesn't have an SSID name, it's not a hotspot like the RC is.
2016-10-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Just as wmcvey said, the WiFi signal is available for remote controller so that you could connect your mobile device to it, while there is no that WiFi signal for aircraft.
2016-10-9
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

"while there is no that WiFi signal for aircraft."

Don't they use WiFi to get the video/data back to the controller ?
2016-10-9
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-10-9 22:55
"while there is no that WiFi signal for aircraft."

Don't they use WiFi to get the video/data back t ...

Think there's something lost in the translation as English is their second language. I think what she is trying to say is you can't connect to the drone's wifi, like you can with the RC. Just use that same wifi app you used and just check your laptop at home if you have one. And you'll see your router, but not the laptop.
2016-10-9
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I was under the impression there were two separate transmissions, both in the 2.4GHz band.  One was using the WiFi protocol, so it would be visible using a WiFi sniffer app or computer etc.   The other is transmitting on that frequency, but not using WiFi.  There are countless consumer devices transmitting on 2.4GHz, from wireless doorbells to baby monitors to CCTV to name a few.   None of these will show up on WiFi and will typically use a simple analogue transmission to a matched receiver.
2016-10-10
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-10-10 11:32
I was under the impression there were two separate transmissions, both in the 2.4GHz band.  One was  ...

First time hearing that ?  The P3S uses wifi (real wifi protocol) for video and telemetry on 2.4GHz. At least on the Standard, as the OP has. On the P3A and P3P that's where the difference is as they use Lightbridge on 2.4GHz band, which is proprietary and not wifi protocol. The real reason the drone's wifi is not picked up on a scanner app is because it's a client, not a hotspot with a SSID. Just try and scan your laptop (with wifi), it won't show. Or your cell phone, won't show up either. Unless you turn on the hotspot in the cell, and then it will.
2016-10-10
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-11 02:57
First time hearing that ?  The P3S uses wifi (real wifi protocol) for video and telemetry on 2.4GHz ...

I stand corrected.  I don't have a Standard.  That is how I thought it worked, I may have confused it with the Advanced/Pro system.  It may have been reinforced by the fact a few pilots report losing video, but still have a strong control signal.
2016-10-10
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-10-10 12:07
I stand corrected.  I don't have a Standard.  That is how I thought it worked, I may have confused  ...

Yes,  because control signal is on 5.8ghz on the Standard.
2016-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules