GoPro + FPV + F550 + iPad
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XmWM3RJkBlMB
New

I just bought this F550 kit: http://store.dji.com/product/f550-naza-m-v2-landing-gear-h3-3d

After chatting with customer service, they recommended that I post in the forums. First time poster, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section...

1) I am trying to find a way to use the GoPro to provide FPV to my ipad and also display altitude and speed. What do I need to do in order to make this work?
2) I am very interested in the iPad Ground Control Station as well. Is there a way I can use the iPad to control the F550 without using a controller?

Thanks for your help.

2016-10-9
Use props
PrairieRotors
lvl.1
Canada

The only way I know is if you install Lightbridge 2, that would give you FPV on your Ipad.
2016-10-9
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

The lightbridge 2 is a little more than I'd want to spend. Do I absolutely need a controller or could I fly it solely by ipad?

If I get the DJI Lightbridge 2 and the Ground Control Station stuff, do I need to buy this?  http://store.dji.com/product/iosd-mark-ii

2016-10-9
Use props
PrairieRotors
lvl.1
Canada

DVA4098 Posted at 2016-10-10 14:25
The lightbridge 2 is a little more than I'd want to spend. Do I absolutely need a controller or coul ...

You don't need iSOD if you have lightbridge2. Also don't need a futaba controller either. You fly with lightbridge controller.
2016-10-10
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

PrairieRotors Posted at 2016-10-10 13:15
You don't need iSOD if you have lightbridge2. Also don't need a futaba controller either. You fly  ...

I was watching a video on youtube where someone had a controller and they were able to adjust the tilt on the gopro with the controller. Can the DJI controller do that?
2016-10-10
Use props
PrairieRotors
lvl.1
Canada

DVA4098 Posted at 2016-10-11 04:57
I was watching a video on youtube where someone had a controller and they were able to adjust the  ...

Yes it can
2016-10-10
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

I see this thing called a iOSD mini and an iOSD Mark II.  Would that give me an FPV view on the ipad? What exactly is the point of iOSD  mini or Mark II and what's the difference between the two?
2016-10-11
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

DVA4098 Posted at 2016-10-11 13:35
I see this thing called a iOSD mini and an iOSD Mark II.  Would that give me an FPV view on the ip ...

Also, what is a Can hub and do I need it?
2016-10-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

DVA4098 Posted at 2016-10-12 02:35
I see this thing called a iOSD mini and an iOSD Mark II.  Would that give me an FPV view on the ip ...

Both iOSD's superimpose the flight data onto your FPV screen, that is only effective when you're using a FPV system that's solely a live camera feed. The major difference is that the iOSD Mark II can also store flight data for analytic purposes, while the Mini solely superimposes screen data. The Mark II also has an additional CAN expansion if needed. Both of these are effectice when using a simple 5.8 GHz FPV system. Neither is required if you plan to use Lightbridge 1 or Lightbridge 2.

The CanHub is simply an expansion module if you have multiple accessories that require CAN connections. It has 4 additional ports in total.

Just as a reminder, Lightbridge 2 does not work with a Naza V2 flight controller, only the A2, WKM or A3. You can use Lightbridge 1 with the Naza V2, but you would need to buy a separate RC/Receiver combo.
If you really want to use the iPad Ground Station your best option is getting a 5.8 GHz FPV system with the 2.4 Datalink and BTU. The FPV system will get you the video feed, while the iPad Ground Station software will provide the telemetry data and waypoints.
2016-10-11
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-11 15:36
Both iOSD's superimpose the flight data onto your FPV screen, that is only effective when you're us ...

You have no idea how thankful I am that you posted that. I clicked purchase on the lightbridge 2 and somehow the connection timed out and it didn't go through. Thank YOU!!!

It sounds like I have to go through a dealer in order to buy the DJI ground station kit, which has the BTU in it.

Do you have a specific 5.8GHz FPV system that you would recommend?  I'm brand new to all of this.. I really appreciate the help!
2016-10-11
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

DVA4098 Posted at 2016-10-11 17:56
You have no idea how thankful I am that you posted that. I clicked purchase on the lightbridge 2 a ...

Ok, to update, all i have right now is the 550 kit that I mentioned above which will arrive on Monday.

Should I buy the DJI DT7 or a spektrum dx8 transmitter?

I'm going to buy the DJI Ground Station this weekend  https://www.dji.com/ipad-ground-station

My goal now is to be able to see FPV from the gopro on like a goggle display or on a screen.. Is it possible to do both? On that display, I need to be able to see attitude, pitch, roll, altitude, speed, and heading.   What is the best way to do this without adding a second camera to the F550?
I see that the iosd Mark II is a CANHUB and an iosd mini in one box?  Does you know if the CANHUB comes with the kit I ordered? Do I need a CANHUB? If so, is it better to buy a CANHUB + iosdmini or just get the Mark ii instead?
Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 10.48.27 PM.png
2016-10-11
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

I think I will run the GCS on my ipad, and I can mount an ipad on the DJI DT7, whereas the Spektrum DX8 I don't think that is possible. Then I can use goggles to see FPV.  Can I get FPV using a gopro though and see it through goggles?
2016-10-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

DVA4098 Posted at 2016-10-12 06:56
You have no idea how thankful I am that you posted that. I clicked purchase on the lightbridge 2 a ...

The most plug and play solution is the DJI AVL58, but there are other 5.8 GHz systems that do require some soldering from companies such as Fat Shark, ImmersionRC, Boscam and FlySight. Some of them allow the use of FPV goggles, if that's what you're hoping to use, or use monitors that have built in receivers to make the set up feel less cumbersome.

In regards to whether you need a Can Hub or an iOSD Mark II, it depends on whether you want telemetry information superimposed on your video feed. If you're fine with just getting telemetry from the iPad Ground Station, then you would get the Can Hub. If you want the redundancy and want to store flight data, then you can use the Mark II. I don't know how well the iOSD's display works with FPV goggles, as I've never went the FPV goggle route myself.

Either RC would work fine with your set up. There are a lot of aftermarket tablet and monitor holders out there that should work with the Spektrum, it will take a little searching through the internet.
2016-10-12
Use props
DVA4098
New

United States

Does the F450 have better endurance over the F550?   What is the endurance I could get out of a F550?  I saw the mavic had a 27 minute endurance.  What can the F550 do that the Mavic can't?
2016-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules