Adding a small GPS tracker to the Mavic
24109 59 2016-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Hows about this ... something i've been looking at since the Phantom 1 .. i never did buy one though, although i'm very tempted to now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271405 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

sanuk Posted at 2016-12-2 16:49
If it's there, the GPS module must be tiny. All I can see against the rear of the Mavic is the lar ...

That video is showing it with the bottom taken off. The GPS is under the top shell.
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-2 16:54
Hows about this ... something i've been looking at since the Phantom 1 .. i never did buy one though ...

I use a Trackimo.
http://trackimo.com/
2016-12-2
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Where did you guys mount that heartbeat gos and with what adhesive
2016-12-2
Use props
fansebeed138
lvl.2
United States

Ok, so from looking at these gps trackers on this forum they all really on some battery, so, in my opinion if you want to get a gps tracker than great.  The way I see it is that the mav already has one as long as it's powered, and the same with any other gps tracker.
So your time to find your bird is based on battery life, if it's your tracker or drone it'sself.
Also I have seen that many of these trackers have a power button..Whaaaat.  So if someone finds it and wants it turn battery off, and gps tracker off.

Not trying to be a hatter, just a devils advocate on why you might want to have an additional tracker.  Especially in the case of if the Mav's tracker fails this one will kick in and start, or if the battery runs out my 3rd party tracker will start, or rip tracker off, turn battery off and run.. HEEEHEEHEE.

If someone could come up with a tracker where once the drones battery was dead then the 3rd party would start.  But that still does not solve the problem if someone finds it before you and takes it and turns all devices off.

And again not to be a hatter, but there has to be some type of blue print on where all the components are placed, these are mass manufactured or manufactured by hand so the personal or machines need to know where the parts go, meaning there needs to be a blue print some where..  Even if it's a secret like the formula to Coke Cola...
2016-12-2
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

fansebeed138: Logical. When Mavic lands and you lost it, probably it was due to the low battery. And it can be 1 km (or more) far from you. So you have maybe few minutes to get there. On the other hand, small GPS tracker like trackimo is live for several weeks and you can always check it on the map on your PC where it is located. Of course if someone wants to steal it, he will. With or without GPS tracker. But I will definitely to buy those small ones, to fly more in safe. The only thing I am still thinking is - WHERE is the best spot (where are no antenas) to be mounted. Front, back, battery (but you need it still switching from battery to battery), bottom...
2016-12-21
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44797 ft
United States

Be simple plz: what are the advantages if u put an additional GPS tracker on top of the Mavic? longer battery life?
When ur mavic fly away, u have all GPS coordinates shown in the app(DJI Go 4,left down corner under flight history). and the last location pin on the map.
2016-12-21
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

Adding a small 3rd party gps tracker isn't a bad idea. Usually drones that are lost forever are due to batteries are dead when tracking it down.
2017-6-1
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

2017-6-1
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Problem with GPS trackers is that they require cell service so they are useless outside of cell coverage.
2017-6-1
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-1 17:07
Problem with GPS trackers is that they require cell service so they are useless outside of cell coverage.

How about trackimo? they claim to have a global coverage with their own sim installed. Trackimo see In-Box Specifications
2017-6-1
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

no, they don't really claim that.
2017-6-1
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Julia Baker Posted at 2017-6-1 21:23
How about trackimo? they claim to have a global coverage with their own sim installed. Trackimo see In-Box Specifications

No cell service and it has no way to send its coords.  No way around it.  This is why I opted for an RF type solution as I frequently am not in cell coverage areas.

There are a few options, but I think this one is the longest range:  http://www.loc8tor.com/everyday/
Reliably 400 ft, but 600+ ft if out in the open.  The find my drone app will get me close to the drone, and the RF tag can then find it the rest of the way, 400 ft+ in any direction.

Of course if you never leave the city and always have cell coverage, then the GPS tracker might be the better option.
2017-6-2
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-6-1 22:56
no, they don't really claim that.

Well actually in a way they claimed to have global coverage of their gps tracker. Look at this screen shot, I got this from their website.
Trackimo

trackimo Screenshot

trackimo Screenshot
2017-6-5
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Switzerland

yeah. but no. worldwide sim = sim that works with every carrier.
2017-6-6
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-6-6 00:37
yeah. but no. worldwide sim = sim that works with every carrier.

well I think it does work with every carrier. faq kinda says so.

https://trackimo.com/trackimo-gps-faq/

How far will my Trackimo track or locate?

Our system is designed to locate a Trackimo Device anywhere in the world (with NO ADDITIONAL costs or roaming fees) as long as there is GSM cellular service area. If the device enters an area without GSM cellular coverage, the GPS feature will not be able to report its current location until it re-enters an area with network coverage. Once it reconnects, it will transmit a history of its locations that you can view online.

2017-6-7
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Switzerland

yes, every carrier. but not "outside of cell coverage"
2017-6-7
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-6-7 03:22
yes, every carrier. but not "outside of cell coverage"

Ok so when they say "(with NO ADDITIONAL costs or roaming fees)". when they mention "roaming fees" meaning 1 sim works with other carriers internationally thats what international sim cards are for. So trackimo still has a world wide coverage except that they don't have coverage where the area has no cell signal because their gps tracker rely heavily  on cell sites for it to be tracked.
2017-6-7
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

actually an external gps would be a very wise decision. Cautious people even put 2 gps trackers on their drone for safety measures if one doesn't work then the other will be a backup. There's no harm in too much safety.
2017-6-8
Use props
pelpinda
New

Netherlands

The latest article is from 2017 in the meantime there might have been new option for a gps tracker.
Anybody has recommendations?
Might be good to take into consideration that f.e. the pinggps tracker has suspended the services.

What about Tile:mate bleutooth tracker?
2021-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules