Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DezLoreen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47411 ft
Canada

HI everyone!

Up here in the arctic, it's getting colder by the day. we are hovering at -1 C
the frost is accumulating and snow isn't far off.
A friend of mine has a p3, and said it was acting weird the other day, he attributes it to the cold.
Has anyone had issues with control or the phantom dropping out of the sky?

I understand the battery life may be shortened.
Just wondering if anyone else has winter experience they can share. my search of the forum found nothing. maybe because it's the first winter season of the P4. probably. lol

2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Keep your intelligent flight battery packs warm. When you first start off, let the drone hover for a couple of minutes, assuring that the flight battery is warmed up enough.
Go easy, fly gently and try not gunning the throttle stick. There was a firmware update that helped correct cold weather battery malfunction.
DJI also sells battery warmers, if that's something you might find helpful.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/sho ... ttery-Heater-Warmer
http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-battery-heater

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

DezLoreen, Hi neighbor. Getting cold in Alaska to. I hope others jump in. Some very advanced people here. There is that one post about the guy in the Alps. Some thing else we might want to watch is flying over snow. Especially the dry type that is easily blown around. I guess we could leave a battery out over night , and then use it. Not certain with my luck that I want to be the tester. I believe you are right that the P4 hasn't been out long enough to experience a winter.
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

cubguy@alaska.n Posted at 2016-10-12 12:09
DezLoreen, Hi neighbor. Getting cold in Alaska to. I hope others jump in. Some very advanced people  ...

Leaving a battery out, in the cold, is asking for major trouble. These batteries work best while in a warm state.
If you leave an intelligent flight battery outside over night, it may very well be ruined. But please do the test yourself. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Des,

I fly my P3Pro's quite a bit in the very cold here in South Dakota. Red is dead on, keep the batteries as warm as possible right up until flight time. You can let your bird sit out in the cold for a few minutes before flight to get acclimated to the cold. Take it very easy on startup and let her hover close by for a bit to get warmed up. I keep my batteries pretty much at room temperature until I'm ready to use them. So far (knock on wood), I haven't had a single issue.

Jerry
2016-10-12
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-12 10:17
Leaving a battery out, in the cold, is asking for major trouble. These batteries work best while i ...

Part of the reason for doing this test under controlled conditions, is to avoid problems under uncontrolled conditions. Like many others do with different features of the drones. Part of the reason we have this board. When I say cold, I mean with in the working parameters of the battery. I for one am not going to fly it at 10 below F. I might go ice fishing though, but in a warm tent. LOL
Shouldn't you be headed south for the winter?
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, cool. Just don't torture test your intelligent flight battery, or you may be the One in the most excruciating pain. Hahaha

I'll be Heading South shortly, to South Edmonton Common SuperStore for some fresh baked multi grain buns. And a couple lbs of lean ground beef. Yup!!

Is there something good about a warmer climate?  We prefer the four distinct seasons up here. Fall is awesome. So colourful and unique. Seeing is believing. Haha
When the winter months arrive, and everything outdoors is frozen solid, it's a wonderful time to be alive.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
DezLoreen
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks everyone! I might have a few reasons to bring it out this winter, we have some great scenery in the dark months. I will keep the battery tips in mind!

cheers
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DezLoreen Posted at 2016-10-12 13:57
Thanks everyone! I might have a few reasons to bring it out this winter, we have some great scenery  ...

Dark you say? Tell me about it... Haha
Would you Consider adding some awesome photography lights?
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
They work great for night flight orientation as well... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DezLoreen Posted at 2016-10-12 20:57
Thanks everyone! I might have a few reasons to bring it out this winter, we have some great scenery  ...

This Battery Heater may be of interest.
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-12 14:23
This Battery Heater may be of interest.

Wow, that looks really much like the one I shared in post above??
Keep your intelligent flight battery packs warm. When you first start off, let the drone hover for a couple of minutes, assuring that the flight battery is warmed up enough.

"DJI also sells battery warmers, if that's something you might find helpful.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/sho ... ttery-Heater-Warmer
http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-battery-heater"

Something like that. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-12 21:35
Wow, that looks really much like the one I shared in post above??
Keep your intelligent flight bat ...

Now where's the "Doh!" (In Homer voice) Emoticon
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-12 14:44
Now where's the "Doh!" (In Homer voice) Emoticon

I don't do dohhh, unless baking... Hahaha
If you read the whole post/individual threads, you get a better picture of what others already stated.
Taking shortcuts, not so much.

Remember that fun quiz, that started off, and clearly explains to read all questions before you begin?
The last statement said, only fill in your name, leave all above questions unanswered...
I always got 100% on that one... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
jwt873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I went out to fly yesterday when it was 7C. (45F)  I put the Phantom in my garage but got called away before I could get going.   I left it in the garage for most of the afternoon.  When I finally had time to fly, I got a battery warning (see below).   I took off and hovered at a meter or so until the battery warmed up.  It only took a couple of minutes.

This morning I flew at 1C (33F) with no problems.  This time the battery was still at room temperature so DJI Go was happy.  One thing I noticed was there was no real degradation in battery life.  When you fly, the battery generates its own heat.

In the user manual, DJI states "It is not recommended that the battery be used in extremely low temperature (<-10C)".   But... I've flown other mulitrotors using lipo batteries at temps as low as -20C  (-4 F).  You do start to see a reduction in flight time at those temps.
battery-cold.jpg
2016-10-12
Use props
DezLoreen
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks for that link Red, those lights look awesome! I have a friend who skates and does night photos, he might like to take a look at them as well

- That is great information jwt, thanks!
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DezLoreen Posted at 2016-10-12 16:38
Thanks for that link Red, those lights look awesome! I have a friend who skates and does night photo ...

Yes, Lume Cubes are sweet. Pretty awesome, definitely something worth while, to consider adding, to your flight kit.
Having a proper light source for your drone photography can have a dramatic positive effect to your pics and videos.
Being in the darkness of winter in the North, these could certainly brighten the day for you. ;-)

There is another member here who's actually from NWT but I have not seen him posting anything on here lately.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

As everyone knows,  here in Southern California where I live,  we see temperatures all the way down in the 30's sometimes.  Not often.  And I have no trouble flying any of my Phantoms.  So you should be fine.
2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-10-12 17:56
As everyone knows,  here in Southern California where I live,  we see temperatures all the way down  ...

Ah, um, you did say Down to 30*? ;-)
We are lucky to reach +30*C in the hottest days of summer. Haha

That must be 30*F...

RedHotPoker
2016-10-12
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-12 22:12
Ah, um, you did say Down to 30*? ;-)
We are lucky to reach +30C in the hottest days of summer. Hah ...

yup, farenheit

2016-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It must be wonderful? But I have no idea... Chuckles
You really need to feel -30* F. Yeah, but at -40*F or -40*C even the thermometer doesn't care anymore... Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-10-12
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-13 02:31
It must be wonderful? But I have no idea... Chuckles
You really need to feel -30* F. Yeah, but at ...

Sometimes in the winter I have to wear a sweater.  I think that's what they are called.
2016-10-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-10-13 16:38
Sometimes in the winter I have to wear a sweater.  I think that's what they are called.

You are a funny guy, and all of us, up North are all laughing... Haha
Yes, sweating to the oldies will move you to a Warmer soul...
Get the turtle neck variety, and when it gets too cold, just pull your head down inside. Chuckles

Stay toasty.

RedHotPoker

2016-10-14
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-12 11:00
Yeah, cool. Just don't torture test your intelligent flight battery, or you may be the One in the mo ...

Your down there from where I am at. Ducks go south in the winter, at least the smart ones. You haven't lived above the arctic circle, are you would not have ask if warm is better. Do you not have heat in your car, and house? Wear a warm coat? I know a little some thing about the cold. Many people on this board like to push the limits. As in how far, how long, how high, and cold batteries. I hope you can understand that. There is a lot of cold weather testing done in Alaska. They are testing drones to watch the pipe line.
Many good things have come from people testing the limits. It is in the nature for many people to test the limits. I may not agree with many of them, but I'm not going to tell them they shouldn't do it. Right now I am trying to figure out if it is feasible to put one of those chemical hand warms on the drone to help it. Have your say. I will post later this winter when I have some thing beneficial to add to the board.
2016-10-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I rYde a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S. With a 3/4 helmet. Talk to me about how cold it gets!! Haha

Going south for winter is for the wooser. Eagles don't fly away to warmer climates, nor do our Hawks or Owls.
You gotta be tough to hang with the raptors. So you best acclimatize your body and mind, for the coming winter...
And find a parka, boots and head gear... Warm insulated gloves are nice too!! Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2016-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules