New app close to release
2884 16 2015-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

New version just posted with what might be the last version before going into the store tonight.

http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight

Loads of flight and camera centric features and the last version posting tonight has a feature requested by a number of camera enthusiasts they refer to as HDR.  I'm not a camera buff but it has something to do with taking multiple photos as different exposure settings.  Anyways, quite a few camera folks asked for it so I added it but it might not be perfect since this will be the 1st time HDR is available.

Take a look, there is a long-term plan for the app which includes some GPS flight control modes; follow-me, point-of-interest and the ability to control Phantom yaw during GPS flight (ability to point in one direction and fly another), assuming the DJI SDK works as it should...

Feel free to send feedback; there is a form on the website or here is OK but slightly harder to keep up with due to lack of email replies when people post but I'll try and watch for them

Enjoy,
ken
2015-2-2
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

here is some feedback:  IT LOOKS FANTASTIC but unfortunately im an apple fanboi and only have iDevices.  boooooo.  did i mention that once you get an apple version, i would pay for this app?    mostly because the support we get from you will be like a million times better than we get from anywhere else   in all seriousness, great work.  really shows you have LISTENED to this community when developing features.  go figure.  
2015-2-2
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

He has done a great job. I already fly with his software instead of the DJI app. And have alocated $ in the budget to purchase his software
2015-2-2
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I understand the whole need for iOS version but unfortunately, in my case I don't own any apple devices so even getting a development environment up to start the work would be a high cost investment that I have doubt would be recovered.  Adding to the cost is the time.  To dater I have upwards of 700 hours and I haven't even begun the GPS flight stuff.  I try to get a few hours sleep but if I decide to cut out on sleeping and find a few extra hours I might look at iOS.

In the meanwhile, and please this is not a diversion of the need for iOS...

My friends that used to be iOS fans for their Phantom went out a purchased cheap Android small tablets for quite cheap.  Something to consider if I don't get to iOS and some feature you just have to have comes into the app (like maybe point-of-interest or follow-me) ;)
2015-2-2
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i am defn considering purchasing an android tablet for this app.  and CERTAINLY would never want you to think i am suggesting you put any sort of abnormally high amount of effort into iOS support, PARTICULARLY if you dont own those devices and the payoff/reward side is not worth your time.  i value the time you are putting in even tho i dont even use the app...yet.

one question i have for clarification (i think you said this in another thread but asking anyhow), your app has nothing to do with flight behavior compared to theirs, right?  what im getting at is (and this is TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL not any suggestion that you are not a fantastic developer)... if your app had any 'errors', it would just impact things that the app interacts with (camera, video, REPORTING of important data like sat locks, battery power, etc) but never flight related things?

im thinking for example like during RTH, could your app inadvertently cause complications IF there were code issues?  RTH altitude comes to mind but further thoughts around homelocation and such make me wonder also.

again, not at all suggesting that your app is LIKELY to have any issues, just trying to understand the interactions between the sublayers of the hardware/software here (like the drone, the controller, the tablet, the camera, etc)...
2015-2-2
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-3 02:51
i am defn considering purchasing an android tablet for this app.  and CERTAINLY would never want you ...

Correct, in the current release the app is all what is referred to as L1 SDK access.  In L1 access it's all about the camera and reporting.  The only think the app does in this area would be to set home point (but only if you have enabled dynamic home point or map home point) in which case it would send the home point location to the Phantom.  If you don't enable these then there is nothing sent to the Phantom to change home point and if you do enable it there are confirmation dialogs that validate distance from your location (just in case you selected a map home point that was far away).  Otherwise, all camera.
2015-2-2
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Answering another point; the app could be closed, shut down or even crash and it would not affect flight in any way.  Technically, the same is true even for the Vision app and even if you are using Ground Station.  There isn't, that I am aware of any live-flight control in Vision app so if that app would crash it still should not affect flight.

There is a caveat to my statement about the Vision app; I have heard that if you are flying a GPS mission, when the Phantom leaves and comes back into Wi-Fi range that the Vision App will re-upload the GPS program and if this is true I guess the Vision app could, if there was an issue with upload result in a problem but even in that case a flip of the S1 would cancel the GPS flight and give you back control so technically, that could be an issue (with Vision app, not mine) but if it's a real issue I cannot say.

When I implement GPS flight functionality I have no intention of implementing a re-upload when reconnect and I don't know why Vision app does that (if it does that) as I haven't confirmed the functionality myself; only heard reports.

Hope this helps!
2015-2-2
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-3 02:51
i am defn considering purchasing an android tablet for this app.  and CERTAINLY would never want you ...

Oh, I wasn't taking any offence at the suggestion of an iOS app.  It has been asked for many times and I was just explaining why I don't see me doing iOS in the future (maybe I was too detailed with my thinking) but I took no offense in your suggestion or response.
2015-2-2
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

I cant still make it run on 5.0.2 Lollipop, the app starts fine (and looks good) but in the second I start props the app shuts down, and cant be opened again before props shuts down....
2015-2-2
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BWJ Posted at 2015-2-3 05:00
I cant still make it run on 5.0.2 Lollipop, the app starts fine (and looks good) but in the second I ...

Which version?  The version for 1/31 I have been told works on Lollipop but anything older would not since it would have the older SDK from  DJI that is known to have problems with 5.0.
2015-2-2
Use props
charliebrandt09
New

United States

Sweet - I am an iOS guy, but I may steal my kids Galaxy Tab for this.  It's the perfect size at 7".
2015-2-2
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have a Tab S, it is one of the devices I test on and the app is very nice on that tablet!
2015-2-2
Use props
Thampiss.gmail
New

United States

Ken
Please consider providing a .bar version for side loading into a Playbook. The tablet is rugged, has a good display and an HDMI port and can be dedicated to this purpose, if lying around, such as for many:-)
Thanks
2015-2-2
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

kenargo Posted at 2015-2-3 05:05
Which version?  The version for 1/31 I have been told works on Lollipop but anything older would n ...

It is V1-31 I have
2015-2-3
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BWJ Posted at 2015-2-3 22:48
It is V1-31 I have

That is a bummer; I guess DJI fixed 'some' issues with Lollipop but not all.  I have a mix of people reporting that the new version works with Android 5, so far you are the only unlucky one that has reported it to not work.

Once I get this on Google Play store I will start to receive crashes when it fails on Android 5 and get DJI involved in getting a more complete fix.
2015-2-3
Use props
Matt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164997 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where do I get updates? Lousy video on Nexus 9 .
2015-8-27
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I just installed the P3 version on my phone (samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 V 4.4.4) and it freezes every time I try to open it and only way get out of it is restarting the phone. But yet the P2 version I use for my P2V works fine. But my Tablet, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, it wont even load on that with the P3 version.  The App version is 3.14.  What gives?
2015-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules