Compass error :/
2792 24 2016-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

Hi.
My P3 4k has had a compass wrong since I took it out of the box.
Does not matter if I'm flying in a completely open field, so I get compass errors when I'm 100 meters straight above me.

What is this wrong ??

Have the latest firmware, and have calibrated the IMU and made compass dance.
But nothing helps.

Bought this just 3-4 weeks ago.

2016-10-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Look at the Sensors section in the app settings and see what is showing for your compass.
If there are numbers, your compass can probably be calibrated but if you see zero for compass data, that indicates that your compass is busted or disconnected and will never calibrate until that is fixed.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like labroides mentioned, please check to ensure that the compass data is appearing in the GO app. If it does not, then you would need to send the unit in for service. You can try getting in contact with your dealer to see if they can assist as well.
2016-10-13
Use props
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

I'll check right away when I get home from work today.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

carlson_robert Posted at 2016-10-14 12:42
I'll check right away when I get home from work today.

Please keep us posted.
2016-10-13
Use props
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

This picture is taken when the drones are indoors on my desk.
2016-10-14
Use props
gkordowski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 798360 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

carlson_robert Posted at 2016-10-14 13:55

Have you tried to do compass calibration somewhere outside? I cannot do proper compass calibration in my flat also - but it is fine on the field, and I don't have any problems with my P3

2016-10-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

carlson_robert Posted at 2016-10-14 23:55

No picture attached.
We can't tell what it shows.
What is in the compass sensor data?
2016-10-14
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389839 ft
United Kingdom

If you're 100% sure the calibration is good and there's nothing else interfering with it get it replaced or repaired. Mine did the same from new but I convinced myself it was me doing something wrong. Even the sensor values appeared to be OK which also threw me. Every flight I had several YAW and compass errors. Finally I sent it away for repair, took about 11 days. Since then I've calibrated the compass once, flown it for several hours and there hasn't been one compass error and I am flying in the same areas as before.
2016-10-14
Use props
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

now the image working.

2016-10-14
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Hi have the exact same aircraft and same problem.

Not ONE flight with out problem.
Returned it to the place i bought it and now in for repair.  
Hope it get solved for you.  
2016-10-14
Use props
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

Flybee Posted at 2016-10-14 16:46
Hi have the exact same aircraft and same problem.

Not ONE flight with out problem.

If you google it is the more people who have / had this error.
Feels fucking sad to have to send it in when it is not even one month old.
2016-10-14
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Germany

carlson_robert Posted at 2016-10-14 16:56
If you google it is the more people who have / had this error.
Feels fucking sad to have to send i ...

Yes I know and totally agree, I'm don't know if I should be skeptical or not. The first one I got was DOA the cable to the camera was broken which was really sad so it was sent back right away.

I have been flying "all" over sweden (i'm swede just happen to be in Germany now) and the same result every where.

Ste_photo and some other guys have had a good progress when it came back from DJI so. I don't want to spend so much money on a thing I can't trust so in the end it was an easy choice to send it back.
2016-10-14
Use props
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

Just talked to the store I bought my in, and they said to come in with it so we will replace it with a new =)
Going in with the right tomorrow when they have opened
2016-10-14
Use props
carlson_robert
lvl.2

Sweden

Come home right now with a whole new P3 =)
Loading the battery now then it will be to test fly it, keeping our fingers crossed that it works as it should
2016-10-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

carlson_robert Posted at 2016-10-15 18:50
Come home right now with a whole new P3 =)
Loading the battery now then it will be to test fly it, k ...

Good to hear you were able to get it addressed.
2016-10-15
Use props
iKjell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 583094 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Brand new P3 4k here as well, behaving exactly the same...compass error all the time.
Really stable and nice to fly as long as I have "Safe to fly", but rarely more than a minute, before it goes into ATTI mode (have no experience on flying planes or copters, so it stresses me quite alot, especially when there's some wind...)

Have tried calibrating IMU and compass several times. What is really the optimal conditions for calibrating the IMU? does it matter if I do that inside? If I do it outside, can it be affected by wind?
2016-10-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

iKjell Posted at 2016-10-23 18:55
Brand new P3 4k here as well, behaving exactly the same...compass error all the time.
Really stable  ...

The IMU can be calibrated inside, the only condition to satisfy is to do it on a flat, level surface and not move it during the process. But the compass calibration must be done outside, well away form any metal work. Try to do it in an open field of grass, never on concrete and make sure you have no metal on you during the process.
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

iKjell Posted at 2016-10-23 15:55
Really stable  ...

In addition to Geebax's advice, you would want to perform an IMU calibration in cool conditions for the most optimal effects.
2016-10-23
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

Omg.  Lolololol!   Like a circus act.   My Phantom 3 Pro has been for the most part pretty good.  Lot of instances where it just goes "ATTI" mode.  Was on the dji site last night, with my finger on the buy it now button for A Phantom 4.  Yes almost bought a Phantom 4 last night, but then all these issues just kept haunting me, so I stepped away from the computer.  I am now surfing the websites of a few other drone manufacturers.  Looking for other options.  
2016-10-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

warloc59 Posted at 2016-10-25 02:31
Omg.  Lolololol!   Like a circus act.   My Phantom 3 Pro has been for the most part pretty good.  Lo ...

And in come the clowns.....

The P4 is generally a very good , very stable product. Take your P3 and make it just that little bit better.

Bear in mind this is a manufacturers website, where people will come to complain.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

warloc59 Posted at 2016-10-25 09:31
Omg.  Lolololol!   Like a circus act.   My Phantom 3 Pro has been for the most part pretty good.  Lo ...

If you have done all the troubleshooting steps and your compass is still giving errors, please contact support and have it sent in to be evaluated.
2016-10-24
Use props
iKjell
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

Returned my P34K, and got a new P3A. The Advance however, behaves exactly the same as the P34K...compass errors all the time. Have calibrated IMU and compass several times. IMU also outside in cool conditions (8 degrees Celsius).
The Advance has vastly better range and video link, so much easier to controll when it goes to ATTI mode, but nevertheless, it should not be reporting Compass errors several times in each flight, should it?
The compass calibration should be straight forward, turn anti-clockwise in upright position, then again facing downwards - nothing elementary I am missing here? (absolutely no metal on me, and meters away controller). Have even tried to calibrate just below powerlines, just to force an error, but the calibration was accepted, and I did not notice any difference during flight.
2016-10-30
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

iKjell Posted at 2016-10-30 22:41
Returned my P34K, and got a new P3A. The Advance however, behaves exactly the same as the P34K...com ...

I did the same thing and it was a small improvement at least, still getting some CE's though. If I understand it correctly from an other answer I got here IMU has nothing to do with it?

I hope that DJI in the future could install a little better (or two systems like in the Mavic) compass to avoid this problem. It feels a little scary since RTH and some other stuff might not work when you have a compass Error. I learned a lot flying in ATTI mode but it's an expensive thing and you should be able to trust it. And with Compass Errors the F mode don't work as expected, sad but true.

Interesting with the calibration under the power lines?

Could it have something to do with the fact that we are close to the magnetic north? (I am at least).
I hade my P 3 4K with me to France some weeks ago, not ONE compass Error during 3 days of flying.
2016-10-30
Use props
iKjell
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

Yes, could be the fact that we are so far north...however it just feels like it's too sensitive. I have never lost orientation of the Phantom on the map, which means the compass error must only be temporary - and a matter of only a few hundreds of a seconds, or even less. If it just had waited slightly longer before it disengaged P-GPS, it would have discovered that it does in fact have orientation. Sometimes it goes crazy, and all I hear is ATTI-ATTI-ATTI, but still it has just fine orientation on the map and the video feed is perfect. Thinking of switching to A-mode permanently now, but off course I would appreciate if all the features worked, especially the RTH - I have never flown anything before, so I value the security (although the Phantoms seem very nice and stable to handle)

This "over-sensitive" thing, could that maybe explain why some people have started to have these issues after firmware upgrade? Because that would typically be handled by the software?
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules