Flying P3S in a populated area?
1139 6 2016-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
huntatwork
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck flying a P3S in a populated area when on 1.5.7 or 1.6.8 firmware? Either in the suburbs of a town, or in central city etc?

I've seen a few videos such as this one:

But they all seem a bit old, and I'm wondering if the new firmwares are more sensitve to interferenace etc than the old ones?

Reason I ask is I had huge issues with my P3S losing signal after about 30meters. I thought it was a hardware fault with the drone or controller as I was about 350 meters away from any buildings that had any form of WiFi. Upon a DoA RMA return, the fix according to DJI was to upgrade the firmware. I had upgraded to 1.6.8 before my first ever flight, then had signal/display issues, so downgraded to 1.5.7 yet the problem remained. So DJI updated it (to I'm guessing as there's no way to tell what f/w it's currently on 1.6.8) and that fixed the problem apparently.

I haven't tested it yet - will do this weekend - but perhaps the P3S is only suited to be flown out in the middle of nowhere with no WiFi signals around for miles?

Cheers
Hunt
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It would be best to fly it in an open place without much interference, for it's easier to be affected on the WiFi connection of Phantom 3 Standard.
Please feel free to have a test on weekend, hope you have a great experience, appreciated if any feedback of your test results.
2016-10-13
Use props
huntatwork
lvl.1

Australia

I've tried and tried to get this dam P3S to work. Unless I drive for an hour out of town, the furthest I can get away from any buildings with WiFi is about 400 meters and I'm constantly getting "no signal" and disconnected issues.
I give up.
It's been 3 weeks since I bought the drone and I haven't been able to use it.
I'm going to try and take it back to JBHIFI where I bought it from.
What a waste of time.
Very frustrated.
2016-10-16
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

huntatwork Posted at 2016-10-16 20:14
I've tried and tried to get this dam P3S to work. Unless I drive for an hour out of town, the furthe ...

Why can't you get out farther than 400M.
2016-10-16
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

The aircraft in the video isn't a standard, the remote has twin antennas so it would be a Pro or Advanced.  They have Lightbridge which is far superior to wifi that the Standard uses.  You are asking for trouble flying in heavily populated areas (as well as potentially breaching CASA rules).  You will find the radio spectrum will be full of interference, despite how far away from wifi devices you think you are.  Other devices can cause interference as well as computers and wifi, and you may be crossing microwave transmission paths between buildings or just swamped by background noise etc.
2016-10-16
Use props
huntatwork
lvl.1

Australia

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-17 08:27
Why can't you get out farther than 400M.

Because anywhere around the city there is always a building of some sort within 400 meters in any direction which appears to be interfering with the 2.4ghz video feed.
I could probably go to the center of the royal botanic gardens as that will give me 500 meters between me and any building in any direction. But that means I can only fly it in one area unless I go for a long drive out to the country - which is useless to me.
2016-10-16
Use props
huntatwork
lvl.1

Australia

endotherm Posted at 2016-10-17 12:00
The aircraft in the video isn't a standard, the remote has twin antennas so it would be a Pro or Adv ...

Sorry - you are correct. The video link I shared he does appear to be using a Pro or Adv.

I'm flying over 300 meters away from any buildings or houses. So no CASA/legal issues here in Australia as the limit is a 'non populous area' or within 30 meters of other people/buildings.
2016-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules