Drone Parachute for DJI Mavic Pro Safety?
14913 51 2016-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Firewuff
New
Flight distance : 5807 ft
Australia

I absolutely want this.  A) its not a cheap toy which can be thrown in the bin.  In Australia the full kid is around $2k.  b) as other people have stated here CASA regulations means you cannot fly within 30m of buildings, vehicles, people who are not connected to controlling the drone or populated areas.  So its great for getting shots of the bush or other areas but usless unless you have a huge park near by (I do).   It's under 2KG so you can get an exemption but you need to get a registered drone license and then its only possible if you have mitigation measures like a parashoot, use a hex or Oct drone, dual batteries etc.  So without a parachute system I wont be able to do a lot of what I want to do.
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Firewuff Posted at 2017-4-27 02:37
I absolutely want this.  A) its not a cheap toy which can be thrown in the bin.  In Australia the full kid is around $2k.  b) as other people have stated here CASA regulations means you cannot fly within 30m of buildings, vehicles, people who are not connected to controlling the drone or populated areas.  So its great for getting shots of the bush or other areas but usless unless you have a huge park near by (I do).   It's under 2KG so you can get an exemption but you need to get a registered drone license and then its only possible if you have mitigation measures like a parashoot, use a hex or Oct drone, dual batteries etc.  So without a parachute system I wont be able to do a lot of what I want to do.

Shouldn't be so worried about your Mavic falling to the ground and getting damaged, more important that civilians and property is safe, maybe a warning siren , and who knows air bags, I don't think with props parachute is a good option, but I'm sure with all new regulations dji are working on something to make it safer for those on the ground.
2017-4-27
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Is this what you mean?
Dave Flying008.jpg
2017-4-27
Use props
ataskii
lvl.1
Finland

I have made parachute for Mavic. Look at www.vectorsave.com
2017-5-20
Use props
ataskii
lvl.1
Finland

I have parachute for Mavic
2017-5-20
Use props
ataskii
lvl.1
Finland

D&G Posted at 2016-10-15 06:35
Just for peace of mind.

I do not expect to ever cras.. land my drone on a person or encounter any bird attacks. Just looking at extra options.

I have made parachute for Mavic.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I think it is a cool idea.  Sooner or later, a motor will cease to function.  Bad bearing or whatever.
2017-5-20
Use props
fansaae947ef
New

United States

I completely agree with D&G.
For background, I have been a military instructor pilot and aerial refueling aircraft commander for over 8 years and an airline pilot for 28 years. I have been flying the 777-290 and -300 for over 17 years worldwide with flights to Moscow, over Pakistan, Afghanistan to India, multiple destinations to China, South America, Europe and Australia.
The rules governibg what you can do and what responsibilities you have are innumerable. You have got to know your stuff.
I have to wonder if the one's ridiculing or using Mavik care cost as the determinant for a parachute is short sighted. You have to know emergency procedures for your vehicle and have methods to produce safe recovery without hurting others.
Crashes into obstacles not withstanding, a parachute for ops over large crowds(if permitted by regulations) is a great idea to protect others from operator error or vehicle failure. It is a last resort emergency procedure.
I was sure glad to have them in the smaller fighters and mil jets that I have flown.
Be careful out there. Your criminal and fiduciary liability may be huge.
Trust your gut, D&G!
I think D&G is correct. Over people
2017-5-25
Use props
fans321c86b5
New

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-15 08:16
Most drone crashes are caused by striking trees, buildings, etc...   A parachute does nothing in that situation.

It's not the tree or the building that causes the damage is the sudden impact with the ground
20170612_041120.jpg
2017-6-14
Use props
flymushroom
lvl.2
Croatia

I find it appalling that so many people here exhibit such a disregard towards safety and regulation. All UAVs fail, Mavic is no exception, be it manufacturing defect, user error or environmental issue.
The weight, while small, is more than capable to do serious damage from height.

Just consider the scenario of it falling on the head of a young child, which coincidentally probably won't have the smarts to move even if it saw the drone falling. Would you want that to happen to your child? Or falling through a windshield of a car, causing the driver to swerve and starting a multi car pileup.
Or a more common scenario, flying over a concert/sports stadium crowd, even a Mavic would inflict a lot of injuries.
Here's an anecdote from a fellow drone operator near me. While filming a concert, someone from the crowd though that it would be a great idea to hit the drone camera with a powerful green laser. Luckily the operator was quick to react and maneuver to safety so no harm or damage was done, except to the camera sensor.

Finally, there are regulations.
In my country, no flight over populated places without a safety system in place is allowed.  In heavily populated places, only an octo + parachute is allowed.
So a parachute is a requirement just to be legal.
And it follows that one can't get insurance coverage while engaging in illegal activity.

I hope that people would stop deriding others for their safety and legal concerns.

2017-7-6
Use props
djiuser_2hvoR1G
New

Israel

You can search for ParaZero, they have a safety system (with a parachute) that opeartes it self once a malfunction is detected.. I think they have a solution for almost every weight

2017-11-28
Use props
Gene E
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8012 ft

Hi Everyone, I know this is late but I just came across this post and we just released this product 4/25:

https://fruitychutes.com/buyachu ... r-system-p-256.html

It is a serious risk mitigation system.

-Gene - Fruity Chutes
2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules